• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Suba: São Paulo Confessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Does anyone have this album by Suba? I caught his name while looking through Amazon's listings for Bebel Gilberto. Here's a little snippet from Amazon:

Amazon.com's Best of 2000
Yugoslavian-born producer Suba moved to São Paulo, Brazil, in the late 1980s, bringing with him experience in jazz, classical music, theater, ballet, and film. São Paulo Confessions brings the 18-million-strong city to musical life with an ambitious and unique fusion of classic Brazilian styles and modern electronics. The result is a magical blend of Afro-Brazilian rhythms, dreamy vocals, and forward-looking techno.

Another review says the album has a dark undercurrent, and it gets a lot of praise. I'm tempted to pick this one up--seems like something I'd really like.

Sadly, Suba passed away in a fire in Brazil, so he was only able to make this one album, and work on part of Bebel Gilberto's "Tanto Tempo".

B000044U30.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Slightly repetitious in parts but DEFINITELY worth buying. Mellow and moody. My favourite track is the one with the word Tristeza in the refrain and the fruity trumpet sample. I recommend the dark pleasures of this cd!!!!

Picked this up a couple of days ago based on the comments here. Very reminiscent of the "neo-Bossa" stuff from the second post-Jobim generation. Cibelle has her own albums out, including her first which made me LOL because she samples the Elmer Bernstein theme to "Hawaii," one of my all-time favorite film scores. If you like this, I recommend others in this genre like Bossacucanova, Cibelle herself and the Bebel Gilberto remixes.

No, I like the conjoining of the Bossa Nova idiom with sampling and loops. Others here don't so much, IIRC. :) BTW, "Tristeza" is a classic Bossa Nova from the film "Black Orpheus." If you've never seen it, you should run (not walk) to your nearest video store and get it.

I had this ordered, but they cancelled because it was out of stock. I'll have to reorder and wait another week or so for it. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom