Symphonic Collaborations

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
With all the buzz surrounding the new album and the current trend for albums and compilations featuring the RPO and other symphonic orchestras, I thought it would be nice to create a thread dedicated to our favourite examples of such collaborations for everyone to enjoy. I’ve come across a few lovely ones in the past few days.

This is one of my current favourites:

Excellent idea! I'd love to share something that I've been stuck on for years. I am a huge Pink Floyd fan. Carpenters are always #1 in my heart, but the Floyd are pretty high up there as well. The RPO did a set of orchestral arrangements of a selection of Pink Floyd tunes in 1991 and it remains one of my favorite albums to date. In my opinion, this is the best track on the whole album, one that still moves me even though I have heard it a million times:

This live performance is a fitting tribute to George Michael and Phil Ramone. George brought his Symphonica live show to Cardiff and I was fortunate enough to be in the audience, a concert that will live long in my memory.

Last edited:
This live performance is a fitting tribute to George Michael and Phil Ramone. George brought his Symphonica live show to Cardiff and I was fortunate enough to be in the audience, a concert that will live long in my memory.

Beautiful! You are very lucky to have experienced that concert in person.

I’m going to throw a random question in here: which artist (past or present) would anyone like to see given the symphonic treatment? My choices would be (in no particular order):

1. ABBA
2. Bee Gees
3. The Seekers.

With all the buzz surrounding the new album and the current trend for albums and compilations featuring the RPO and other symphonic orchestras, I thought it would be nice to create a thread dedicated to our favourite examples of such collaborations for everyone to enjoy. I’ve come across a few lovely ones in the past few days.

This is one of my current favourites:

That sounds like a different vocal from the original. The orchestra makes it even better than the original. I like this one.

Beautiful! You are very lucky to have experienced that concert in person.

I’m going to throw a random question in here: which artist (past or present) would anyone like to see given the symphonic treatment? My choices would be (in no particular order):

1. ABBA
2. Bee Gees
3. The Seekers.

I wish Olivia would allow the RPO to add some orchestration to some of her original recordings like Richard has done with Carpenters. I don't expect to happen well...ever...Ha. Olivia did a live concert with The Sydney Symphony Orchestra Live at The Sydney Opera House which was released on CD. I don't like it much at all, I think I've played it once. The Symphony is great but don't like the live performance.

The closest I could find of a studio recording is from a Hallmark CD she released with Vince Gill.
This is a solo performance of Olivia, just so happens to be a Christmas song with The London Symphony Orchestra. I actually have this CD and inside the liner notes it mentions The London Symphony Orchestra embellishes the sounds of the season with symphonic flair once again for this collection. This was released in 2000 at Hallmark Stores. The embellishes are pretty nice and you can really hear different orchestra pieces.

For those of you who know Fleetwood Mac and the Rumours album, this will resonate. Stevie Nicks singing Landslide with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra.

Back
Top Bottom