• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Tan label Lonely Bull LP

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv8tracks

Hi,
Just wanted to post that I found a mint tan label lonely bull lp in a thrift shop today for fifty cents. The lp and cover are in mint cond. Are there many of these still floating around?
Phil

Well, not if you're a seller on Ebay...actually, the album was a million-plus seller and was on the Billboard album charts for a couple of years, so it's still pretty common. If it's in good condition and you only paid 50 cents for it, it's a bargain...and it's nice to have something that BIG...you can really appreciate the artwork, including the spot in the corner of the front cover where the end of the paper backdrop shows. And, you can see the details of the bottle of Tequila and the knife and the lime...that didn't show up so well on the cassette and CD packages.

Dan

This is the light tan lp with original logo on top. I've only see a handful of those. Yes the artwork is simple but effective.

I have 2 copies, one with the brown label, but with the logo on the side, and one with the later silver label. The one you have must be an early version, and it might be kinda rare. I dunno, I don't have one...

Dan

Chances are you have a first pressing of Lonely Bull if it has the old label. Does it match any that are posted in our label gallery?

http://www.amcorner.com/gallery/labels/index.php

It's probably the 2nd label shown on the page. The first label on the page is my 7" single of "The Lonely Bull" with the A&M in a script typeface. I sort of stumbled upon that one without even really looking for it, and bought it only for the label...turns out it plays just fine.

FWIW, I like the mono version of this first album over the stereo.

I've never found a Lonely Bull album in that old label style, but I do have the second album that A&M released, George McCurn's A Country Boy Goes To Town with that cream-colored label with the logo at 12 o'clock.

Harry
...remembering that it was Wendell who first sent him a cassette of George McCurn's album, online...

Yes it matches the 2nd picture......it is mono. I think its the only way to hear the lp. The stereo lp tried to hard for gimmicks and ruined the listening experience. I prefer some mono lps over their stereo counterparts.
Phil

Some albums like Lonely Bull seem to have been intended for mono. On the stereo version, some of the tracks are "faked" to stereo...adding additional parts to the original recording. I think "Acapulco 1922" swings a lot better without the added parts. I didn't really realize this until I played that single, and remembered how the mono version sounded. Sad thing is, if this album ever gets reissued, it will once again be the stereo version. Ideally A&M would release both.

For the record (no pun intended :wink: ), they did create separate mixes for mono and stereo, up until stereo-only releases became the norm.

luv8tracks said:
Yes it matches the 2nd picture......it is mono. I think its the only way to hear the lp. The stereo lp tried to hard for gimmicks and ruined the listening experience. I prefer some mono lps over their stereo counterparts.

The mono version of The Lonely Bull has a few differences from the stereo version. The muted trumpet solo on "Crawfish" is completely different, plus there are different trumpet parts on "Mexico". It's kind of neat to hear the difference.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom