Television music channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakeicer

We have just expanded our ATT television channels to include the music
channels, on my first look on smooth jazz who did I get? KENNY G, and on pop I got Michael Jackson, ARRGGHH!! Switched over to Golden Oldies, more my speed and I know all the words. :wink:

cakeicer said:
Switched over to Golden Oldies, more my speed and I know all the words. :wink:

LOL!! I know the feeling!! I think we have a 60's channel via satellite, and every now and then they would play a Brasil '66 or TJB song. Mostly pop/rock, though.

Was Kenny G. on the "Bad Hair Channel"? :wink:

-= N =-

The cable package I subscribe to has a bunch of music channels. About 50 of them, I think. They have separate stations for "Jazz" and "Lite Jazz," fortunately, so it's easy to avoid the Kenny Gs and Rick Brauns of the world. There's also a "Big Band" channel which is (unfortunately) purely swing-era stuff--no Buddy Rich or Maynard Ferguson or Stan Kenton or Don Ellis or Gil Evans. :sad:

They also divide classical stuff into "Classical Masterpieces" and "Lite Classical," but I have no idea what separates the two--Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mozart, etc. are played on both of them.

- William

From what I remember, "Lite Classical" are shorter works or excerpts of longer works. The "Masterpieces" may be an entire symphony or opera.

Wow....I haven't listened to classical in ages! I think I'm about due to pull out my stack of Telarcs and load up the changer... :)

-= N =-

I don't listen to as much of it as I should. I did recently dig up a fancy boxed set of the complete Brandenburg Concerti on vinyl, and I've been going absolutely nuts over some of the adagios. Otherwise, I admit that my classical knowledge is shamefully narrow. Which is strange considering how much I enjoy the results when pop and jazz artists incorporate overt classical elements into their music. One of these days I need to raid my dad's collection of Angel and RCA (red seal?) classical vinyl, and have an all-out Baroque/Romantic/Modern listening marathon...

- William

The sattelite network that my ex subscribes to[I think its the Dish Network] has several music channels, including a jazz channel and a HAWIIAN channel! I listened to it for a couple of hours while I was visiting my boys and just fell in love with it...mostly old folk songs, I guess, all in Hawiian language, and very different than what I normally listen to...just enough Latin flair with folk and indian[for lack of a better word] overtones...one of these days Im going to take one of those 8 hour videocassette tapes with me and have a feast...Don Ho is alive and well at Donovan's Reef...

Dan, who thinks that it's really lousy that the only name anyone ever thinks of when they think of Hawiian music is a Wayne Newton-type...

I subscribe to a satellite TV service,and as part of the package,we get a bunch of different music channels; just about every style that you could ask for - rock,oldies,instrumental,classical, Latin,lots of other things as well. My son helped me figure out how to hook it up to the stereo system that sits next to the TV,so now I can play it through the stereo.The sound is fairly good - depends on the channel and the broadcast.
You might occassionally hear a Sergio Mendes tune. Maybe if I was able to listen a lot,I might hear more of the A&M songs from the sixties.......

Dan, I have to be in the mood to listen to Hawaiian music and a little lasts
me for awhile, but have you ever listened to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, also
known as "Bruddah Iz". Wonderful voice and his CD called "Facing Future"
is one you should own. It has 2 of my favorites on it, Over the rainbow and
what a wonderful world, both from the soundtrack of the movie "Meet Joe
Black" Unfortunately Iz passed away in 1997 at age 38, but he left behind
some beautiful music.

cakeicer said:
Dan, I have to be in the mood to listen to Hawaiian music and a little lasts
me for awhile, but have you ever listened to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, also
known as "Bruddah Iz". Wonderful voice and his CD called "Facing Future"
is one you should own. It has 2 of my favorites on it, Over the rainbow and
what a wonderful world, both from the soundtrack of the movie "Meet Joe
Black" Unfortunately Iz passed away in 1997 at age 38, but he left behind
some beautiful music.

Iz was truly a talented singer. His CDs still dominate the local bestseller lists over in Hawaii (I know -- I just got back form there). A friend of mine was fortunate enough to have seen him in concert. It's unfortunate he died so young, but one can't live long carrying as much weight, sadly, as he did. I think he was up around 700 pounds when he died...

--Mr Bill
who is among the few who know there's more to Hawaiian music than Don Ho's "Tiny Bubbles"... (Did anyone watch ABC's The Mole???)

Yes, I had read about his weight, seems his brother suffered from obesity as well and died at 28 years old.

I can't say for sure, but I believe that Bruddah Iz was one of the artists featured on the particular channel I was listening to...it certainly was unusual and exotic music. One Don Ho song I DID like was called "Sweet Someone"...I'll see if I can find a copy of the Bruddah IZ album next time I'm in B&N...thanx for the tip! :)

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom