• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

THE BEAT OF THE BRASS mono

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetijuanataxi

Can anyone tell me the exact differences in the mono and stereo mixes of THE BEAT OF THE BRASS?

David,
trying to make a buying decision.....

thetijuanataxi said:
Can anyone tell me the exact differences in the mono and stereo mixes of THE BEAT OF THE BRASS?

David,
trying to make a buying decision.....
I would buy a good mono copy- must be a promo because I don't think it was released to the public on mono- I am not sure, but I think.

Steven J. Gross said:
I would buy a good mono copy- must be a promo because I don't think it was released to the public on mono- I am not sure, but I think.

The Beat Of The Brass was the last TJB album done in mono. I don't have it, so I don't what, if any, differences there are in it.

Capt. Bacardi

Outside of promo LPs, this was also A&M's last mono LP released (LP146).

I have a mono copy of "LP 146." It is not a promo and the LP logo is at upper right instead along the bottom.
JB

So, Lp Jim, since you have a mono copy, you're best qualified to answer this queston. What are the differences in the mixes as compared to the stereo LP?

David,
re-asking the burning question.....

Chatsworth Steve said:
That has got to be rare. I am curious.

Not really. Up until this point every A&M LP was released in both Mono & Stereo versions. Also by this time Stereo was more or less the "norm" so all albels were phasing out their mono releases. Radio copies (promos) continued to be made strictly for the AM radio market until well into the 70s.

Interesting with A&M was that they printed only one cover sheet. the 12x12 cover (more like 13x13) featured the stereo # (SP41xx) in the top half inch or so and the mono # (LP 1xx) at the bottom. The sheet was then glued to the card stock "low" for stereo LPs and "high" for mono LPs. If you look carefully at any of your SP4101-4146 LPs you can sometimes see the "other" number at the top or bottom "margins" on the back of the album, often glued under the back cover sheet. (This doesn't apply to many later reissues which were modified to be printed on folded single-stock cardboard).

--Mr Bill

Okay guys, I'm seeing answers to everything on this album except the question I started this thread for. Will somebody please post /something/ related my original question? Sorry about my tone, but I know some of you have this album in mono and noone is offering any info. Where are all the regulars who are usually a plethora of knowledge?
P.S. Please answer the album question first. :)

David,
still hoping for the anwers....

Sorry! Sorry! Calm down and hold yer horses! :wink:

To my ear there is no difference. Sounds like a mono sum of both channels if you ask me. Looks like they were not only "done" making Mono and Stereo versions but were done putting any effort into generating different versions of the tunes as well by this time.

Of course, others may hear things I don't...

--Mr Bill
one of the few who will admit he actually likes "Talk To The Animals"...

Thanks Mr. Bill. I asked the question because I remember somebody here saying the mixes were noticably different on the mono version. Perhaps they were confusing it with another album?

David,
asking whoever it was who stated in an earlier thread that there were differences in the mixes to explain....

Hey, I even like "The Unicorn" song. Remember...

There were green alligators and long-necked geese,
Some humpty-backed camels and some chimpanzees,
Some cats and rats and elephants, But sure as you're born
The loveliest of them all was the Unicorn.

I agree. who wouldn't be smiling with Julius' xylophone dancing all over their speakers!!

David,
who talks to the "animals" every day at work :)

thetijuanataxi said:
Thanks Mr. Bill. I asked the question because I remember somebody here saying the mixes were noticably different on the mono version. Perhaps they were confusing it with another album?

You'll want to pick up the mono copy of The Lonely Bull for some big differences in mixes, such as a completely different trumpet solo on "Crawfish", "Mexico", and no wood blocks opening up "Acapulco 1922". Other mono albums with slight differences are South Of The Border and Going Places.

Capt. Bacardi

Mr Bill said:
If you look carefully at any of your SP4101-4146 LPs you can sometimes see the "other" number at the top or bottom "margins" on the back of the album, often glued under the back cover sheet.

This subject brings a smile to my face. I recall noticing the difference between Mono and Stereo pressings as a young child -- and would sometimes infuriate my Father by peeling back the bottom of the cover sheet to see the 'shorter' number along with the Lp instead of Sp designation.

The reason it became so apparent to me was (of course) my Sergio Mendes records. My earliest copy of Equinox had a 'full moon' as opposed to a later copy which had a 'half moon'. Funny how certain things jump out and catch your eye.

Jon

Mr Bill said:
To my ear there is no difference. Sounds like a mono sum of both channels if you ask me. Looks like they were not only "done" making Mono and Stereo versions but were done putting any effort into generating different versions of the tunes as well by this time.

That is something I'd like to compare, I would like a mono pressing. Wonder if one will turn up on Ebay?- I never have looked for BOTB mono.

I've got a couple of questions re: mono....

1. What was the purpose of Mono in the 1960's when Stereo was fully available?

2. Is there any value to Mono today?

Thanks amigos.................Jay

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:

My guess would be that while stereo was available, more people simply had the mono phonograph player, as in the portable kind, especially kids. Plus AM radio was still the main format until the later part of the 60's.

Capt. Bacardi

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
I've got a couple of questions re: mono....

2. Is there any value to Mono today?

Thanks amigos.................Jay

Amigo-dood! :D

1. By the time SP-4146 was released, it was probably apparent that stereo was gling to stick around. Prior to that, stereo was still considered a fad, and some (even industry people) thought it wouldn't last. Also, stereo records cannot safely be played on mono equipment: back then, mono cartridges had a stylus that could only move in a horizontal direction. Stereo moves the stylus horizontally and vertically. So if you still had an old mono record player, it was better to buy a mono LP that wouldn't be shredded.

2. For the same reason nobody thought mono would stick around, sometimes a lot more care went into the mono mixes, where the stereo mixes were more of an afterthought. Capitol Records is a good example--Peggy Lee's "Fever" was recorded with a close microphone setup and mixed for mono. For the stereo, they set up a pair of mics that were more distant. That's why the mono version of "Fever" just nails it, where the stereo doesn't sound as focused. Stereo versions were also sometimes drenched in echo or, with crude mixing methods, had a three-track master spread across left, center and right speakers in the final stereo mix. (The Beatles were an atrocity--some of those mixes with vocals on one side and instruments on the other, were never intended to be released as stereo!)

So a lot of times, the mono mixes are just better than the stereo, yes, even on some of the TJB recordings. And if the single mix was the same as the mono LP version, that's what people often heard on the radio, since just about all singles were mono back then. Mono LPs are still in demand as collectibles, depending on the title.

Hi,
The Beat of the Brass mono was a different slick for the cover. The lp-146 was only at the top right. The stereo logo was gone from the left. At a quick glance they look the same. As far as the mixes some of the songs time out shorter and Monday Monday is missing the drop in the beginning of the song. Also the mixes are compressed to compensate for the mono sound. Sort of what was done to Sgt Peppers in mono form and Surrealistic Pillow. The lp does appear on Ebay from time to time. Usually you find them mixed in lot groups with other TJB lps. That's how I scored 3 of them. Also look at the pics carefully you can spot the mono lps if you look hard enough.
Just my 2 cents since I started this topic long ago.
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom