• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

The Dating Game theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

manifan

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Today I was listening to the theme song from The Dating Game, which is credited to Herb and the TJB. While for the most part it sounded like them, I couldn't help but notice that the trumpet does NOT sound like Herb's signature playing. Does anyone know if he did play trumpet on it? Or was it someone else?

The actual theme is NOT by Herb & TJB. But so often both "Spanish Flea" and "Whipped Cream" are referred to as the "theme" to the show.

Capt. Bacardi

Someone correct me if my facts are jumbled a little bit, but I think it went like this:

Early on, in the history of the TV show, THE DATING GAME, producer Chuck Barris chose Tijuana Brass music to use on the show. It included "Spanish Flea", I believe, as the show's theme, "Whipped Cream" when introducing the contestants, and "Lollipops and Roses" when announcing the winning couple's dream date.

After a period of time (I'm not sure how long), Chuck Barris himself wrote a new theme for the show that was used in place of "Spanish Flea". Even after the new theme started to be used, they continued to use both "Whipped Cream" and "Lollipops and Roses" for the other show elements. The new Barris theme was used through the end of the show's run.

Harry

Thanks for the info. But who recorded the real theme if not the TJB? It sounds a lot like them except for the trumpets.

Chuck Barris wrote the theme for THE DATING GAME along with David Mook. Barris wrote the NEWLYWED GAME theme on his own.

The themes were recorded at the Devonshire Sound Studios and were arranged by Tom Scott, Mike Barone, and Dale Oehler. All of this info comes from a record album called CHUCK BARRIS PRESENTS THEMES FROM TV GAME SHOWS of Friends Records, something I picked up years ago at the radio station.

Harry

Harry said:
The themes were recorded at the Devonshire Sound Studios and were arranged by Tom Scott, Mike Barone, and Dale Oehler.

Just a side note that Mike Barone wrote "Happy Hour" from the Lost Treasures CD.

Capt. Bacardi

bob knack said:
Aren't we talking about the Mariachi Brass with Chet Baker here?
After digging a little deeper I've discovered you're right. It was recorded by Chet Baker & the Mariachi Brass. This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom