• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"The Karen Carpenter Story"...Release on DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I'm not sure how long it's been since an official post has been made on this, but has anyone heard of the possibility of ever obtaining this thing on DVD, an AUTHORIZED release that is????

I saw an interview with Richard, where he states that he "regrets having ever endorsed the making of that movie...". I guess that has been the stick between the wheels all these years. Any thoughts? -Chris

The only authorized release I know about of The Karen Carpenter Story is from Japan. IIRC, Yuka had these for sale at various times, but only VHS. I personally don't own one, but still have my taped-from-CBS originals complete with Richard's brief closing "Read More About It" segment.

Harry
...thinking this won't be seeing the light of day very soon, online...

I don't think it will ever come to DVD. I also have my original VHS tape from the CBS tv special, I also taped it again when it was on Lifetime to keep an extra copy in case. :wink:

I have seen those DVD/VCR combo machines for like $400.00 where you can record to DVD & make your own DVD quality from your old VHS tapes, that would be an idea, if you want DVD quality & preserve it forever. I personally would love to get one of those machines too. :cool:

Oh also be careful cause there are bootlegs of that tv movie floating around, I think Yuko mentioned that too.

Harry said:
The only authorized release I know about of The Karen Carpenter Story is from Japan. IIRC, Yuka had these for sale at various times, but only VHS.

The movie was also released on laserdisc in Japan. I've been told by someone who owns both the VHS and laserdisc, that there are Japanese subtitles on the screen that can't be switched off. I would find that somewhat annoying!

The movie was also released officially in Australia, but only on VHS. It was also released briefly in Mexico on VHS, but was only licensed for rental.

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I don't think it will ever come to DVD. I also have my original VHS tape from the CBS tv special, I also taped it again when it was on Lifetime to keep an extra copy in case.

I still have my original that I taped off of CTV (Canadian network), in stereo. I also taped it off of CBS, but unfortunately this particular CBS station didn't broadcast in stereo at the time. I keep this tape as a backup, and for Richard's segment at the end. I also have a copy that my sister taped from Lifetime, but that network cut a couple of scenes to make room for more commercials.:sad:

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Oh also be careful cause there are bootlegs of that tv movie floating around, I think Yuko mentioned that too.

I've seen these forgeries on ebay. The seller has copied the original artwork, and even the tape labels! They look very convincing. Yuka has pointed out an easy way to tell a Japanese original from a forgery. The cassette flap on the original is brown. The fakes use an all black cassette.

Most of the supposedly Australian tapes are also forgeries. I've seen copies with the Australian artwork being offered on ebay, but they were in NTSC! All legitimate Australian copies are in PAL only.

Murray
...who will transfer his CTV and CBS copies to DVD, sooner or later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom