The Knack - live at the fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
A nearby annual regional fair to which I look forward never fails to deliver some unique entertainment. Last night '70s sensation The Knack was on hand. The guys looked about like they did when "My Sharona" and GET THE KNACK were on top of the charts.
The mod hairdos and dark jackets caused them to be hyped as the next Beatles -- very unrealistic, of course. The quick backlash that predicatably followed was fondly known as the "Nuke the Knack" movement.
The lively back-to-basics performance was provided by Doug Fieger, Berton Averre, Prescott Niles (guitars & vocals) plus Pat Torpey on drums.
About 150 were present, as it was a school or church activity night. That there was live wrestling elsewhere at the TN Valley Fair also was a factor.
Here's the tunes:

Pop is Dead
Baby Talks Dirty
Boys Go Crazy
Oh, Tara
Just Wait & See
Good Girls Don't ... (but I do)
Doin' the Dog
Harder on You
Heartbeat (cover of a Buddy Holly song)
It's Not Me
No Matter What (Badfinger cover)
Medley: Tequilla & Break on Through (Doors' tune)
Frustrated
She's So Selfish
My Sharona
+ encore -- I've Had Enough.

Many sang along on the familiar tunes. It was especially interesting to hear middle aged audience members singing "Good Girls Don't."
The Knack doesn't tour a whole lot, so this was a rare treat.
JB

Well, I had no idea that The Knack would still be around...and with Doug Feiger, brother of our infamous Detroit-area lawyer, Jeff!!

Thanks for the song set--it brings back memories of what I used to hear by the group, though their debut on a perfectly working 8-Track was all I ever owned or even tried by them. I've seen a few comebacks like Serious Fun try to (Almost!) recapture the magic, but they'll always be known for their "old stuff"...!

Yes, the group's fans suddenly turning against them in the same Rock 'N' Roll circles where they started, was the "Knuke The Knack" movement! But glad to see that they are back to being a band in good standing, from the way you said the concert was fairly well-attended...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom