The last major album tracked on the Studio A Holzer/Haeco console in 1975?

BenKlesc

The 2 band EQ Studio A console from 1967/68 to 1975 was a custom 24 channel designed by Howard Holzer.

In 1976, this was replaced by an API console (I believe). Later replaced by a Neve.

I thought maybe it could be Joni Mitchell's Hejira as Blue was tracked on the Holzer, but for Hejira she used Studio C.

It wasn't the Carpenters, because they started using Studio D starting with Horizon. Wasn't Supertramp (also used Studio D)

Basically looking to find, who was the last major recording artist to make an album in Studio A before 1976. I'm writing a history report on the console for the first and last to use it.

Attachments

• 9C456425-2F0D-403C-8A4A-129DF983B21A.webp
    271.4 KB · Views: 0
Doing more research...

https://www.amcorner.com/labels/a-m-studios/146496/recordings

It was one of these albums. Not sure which one of these was recorded in Studio A.

Art Garfunkel - Breakaway (1975)
Bataan - Afrofilipino (1975)
Carly Simon - Playing Possum (1975)
George Harrison - Extra Texture (1975)
Jimmie Spheeris - Dragon Is Dancing (1975)
John Lennon - Rock N' Roll (1975)
Lori Lieberman - Straw Colored Girl (1975)
Melba Moore - Peach Melba (1975)
Percy Faith - Disco Party (1975)
Roy Eldridge - Little Jazz and the Jimmy Ryan All-Stars (1975)
Singers Unlimited - Feeling Free (1975)
Various Artists - Nashville Soundtrack (1975)

Photos I'd like to share with the forum...

Here is George Harrison Extra Texture recording session... there is the Studio D console.

ghrecordingsessions.jpg

Here is John Lennon Rock & Roll session photo with Phil Spector. There is the Studio A console.

Imagine-John-Yoko-Collectors-Edition-100dpi-PDF-210618_Page_223-1.jpg

Nevermind. I was mistaken. They look similar in that photo. That's Lennon's home studio used to record Imagine... I did find an interview with Roy Cicala from Rock & Roll sessions, Lennon's main engineer on all the albums.

"At A&M they gave us Studio B, which only had 18 musicians on the board, whereas we had 25, and so the keyboards went straight into the Scully tape machine which had microphone inputs. As always, my attitude was 'Let's do it. Nothing's impossible.' I mean, when those musicians cooked, man, it didn't make any difference if the sound was Class A. It was all about the feel.”

At A&M John would have recorded on the Studio B console which in '73 was almost identical to the Haeco/Holzer in Studio A. The same console Carpenters used to record most of their vocals until 1975.

Updated list of the last major recording artists that used one of the Haeco consoles. Roy Eldridge recorded in NYC removed from list.

John Lennon - Rock N' Roll (Oct 1973, Studio B)
Captain & Tennille - Love Will Keep Us Together (Jan 10th 1975, Studio A)
Joan Baez - Diamonds & Rust (Jan 1975, Studio A)
Singers Unlimited - Feeling Free (Orchestra Apr 11th 1975, Studio A)
Percy Faith - Disco Party (1975 Studio A)
Jimmie Spheeris - Dragon Is Dancing (Late 1975 Studio A or B)

Last edited:
Basically looking to find, who was the last major recording artist to make an album in Studio A before 1976. I'm writing a history report on the console for the first and last to use it.
Have you ever tried to get in touch with Stephen Barncard? I don't remember what years he worked in the studios but, if it was outside his time there, maybe he knows someone who might have a better answer.

@badazz may know also, but he doesn't check in too often. Too busy working. 😉

Back
Top Bottom