• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

The Lonely Bull - 50 Years (2 Videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy 50th to "The Lonely Bull, Herb and Jerry - the reasons we're all here!

50th.JPG

Harry

Nice video! I actually like the slightly faster versions of the song a little more than the original.

Thanks - I wanted to do something different, as we have all seen the clip from the 1st TV special. I have more video, but couldn't really work it in together. One of the best versions of THE LONELY BULL from a TV appearance was the MIDNIGHT SPECIAL show from 1975. The clip I have is from a re-broadcast and is cut somewhat short. The fastest version that I have is from a Hollywood Palace from December, 1965, however it is black & white and really not the best video quality.

It was a bit challenging, but I hope that everyone likes it.

Congratulations to " The Lonely Bull " on Your 50th Anniversary ! From lonely bull - it was my 50th Birthday LAST year - ironic, that :laugh:

Dave .......

The song that hooked me onto the TJB. I still remember the moment. I was about 8 years old in 1966. At that time the music I was listening to was the typical bubblegum stuff - Monkees, Cowsills, the 1910 Fruitgum Co. ("1, 2, 3 Red Light"). Then one Saturday evening our family was sitting around the living room. I was laying on the floor going through a issue of Look magazine. My dad got up to change the channel on the TV - going through all 7 stations that we received at that time - and stopped when "The Hollywood Palace" came on, with Fred Astaire hosting. Suddenly there was this sound, and I clearly remember perking my head up and saying "Who is this?" and was totally captivated by this group called the Tijuana Brass. It was a live version of "Lonely Bull", done faster and a bit more rockin' than the album version (I have since found that particular show). There was just something about the song - the Latin rhythms, the cool chord changes and those harmonized trumpets - that still wow me to this day. There were more tunes by the Brass in that show and from that point on I was a TJB addict.

Oh - nice video Steve! I enjoyed this a lot!

Capt. Bacardi

I first heard the song on the Greatest Hits album (on an 8-track tape, no less). Since I got into the TJB via the Whipped Cream and Going Places albums, I had to work my way backwards to hear the older tunes. So, since the sound had changed so dramatically by then, the first album never really did it for me. I have grown to love the title tune though...and also the flip-side, "A Quiet Tear."

I have loved "The Lonely Bull" for years. The melody, the arrangement, it just speaks of musical perfection. I enjoyed seeing all of the clips of Herb and the Brass at various performances. It brings back great memories. I just wish that they were still performing these songs today.

You know, the more I see this, I think I like the first trumpeter Art Bushhagen/Mushegian or whoever better than Kalish. Maybe he looked too much like the leader and Herb wanted a little more contrast. Good sound though.

I really love the alternate versions that they either played live or recorded specially for the TV shows. I don't know whether Herb just liked to play the uptempo versions or they were done to squeeze more into the TV appearance - or both - or neither. There are still more of their TV appearances for which I am always looking. It's a real good look at the history of the TJB!

Bravo!!!!this video is just too wonderful for words being a super diehard tjb fan this is just one of many tjb videos i always wanted to see i would like to see his tv specials come out on dvd i have his montreaux video with jeff lorber but THANK YOU.THANK YOU. THANK YOU AGAIN!!I REALLY LOVE THIS other than the absence of mr kalish. I noticed Pisano. Ceroli. Senatore. Pagani. And Edmondson. AND NOT FORGETTING THE LATE GREAT JULIUS WECHTER. AND THERES AT LEAST ONE MORE BESIDES HERB. I FORGET AT THE MOMENT. NEVERTHELESS PLEASE SHARE MORE. IF AND WHEN YOU CAN GET THEM? ?AND PLEASE GIVE MY REGARDS TO HERB AND LANI AND THE SURVIVING TJB MEMBERS. HAVE A BLESSED DAY EVERYONE..

Thank you for this video. Seeing all of the performances after all these years was fantastic!!!. I love the alternate verion of "The Lonely Bull" with a different tempo. For a life-long TJB fan this was a gift!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom