• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Many A&M/CTi Studio Musicians

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashorepiano

When you open the gatefold of almost any A&M/CTi album, you'll see an orchestra section with several players. Strings, flutes, oboes, horns, and every other orchestral instrument. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or personal experiences they could share on some of these studio musicians. Because there are so many, I'd like to leave this open-ended, if I can. I'll start off with some I noticed quite often:

Harry Lookofsky (whom I heard had an honorable career as a jazz violinist outside the CTi realm)

Charles McCracken

Mac Ceppos (I think he had his own group in New York)

George Ricci

Gloria d'Agostini

...that I have noticed are:

Marvin Stamm

Bernie Glow

Gene Orloff (a concertmaster-violinist, who is New York City's Sid Sharp & Harry Bluestone) :wink:

Ron Carter (who also made many a solo LP on CTi, as well)

...I'm sure I'll think of many more...

Dave

The era of the New York studio musician gave us many underrated stars and a few superstars hiding within. Creed Taylor's tenures at Verve and ABC/Impulse need to be included in this discussion. Creed used a stable of chosen arrangers:Oliver Nelson,Don Sebesky,Lalo Schifrin,Chico Farrill and Claus Ogerman,to name a few. Rhythm sections included such unbelievable players like Hank Jones or Herbie Hancock on piano,Kenny Burrell,guitar;Grady Tate,drums and,yes, Ron Carter everywhere. Within these recording dates,it was not unusual to hear these guys on reeds: Phil Woods,Jerome Richardson,Zoot Sims. Besides Stamm on trumpet,Bernie Glow,Snooky Young and Ernie Royal seemed to be on every session. I think Don Butterfield,tuba, really was at every session,or so it seemed. Trombones included Urbie Green,Jimmy Cleveland and Carl Fontana and it just never got better than that. Besides these jazz/pop dates,these guys played lots of background for Top 40 and MOR albums and commercials. but best of all,(though frustrating to play in)the talk shows that originated from New York:Johnny Carson,David Frost,Merv Griffin, and Dick Cavett used the same pool of players to stock their daily variety shows. What a wonderful time for live music. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom