• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The MC5 reunites

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
I was witness to a lineup I never thought could happen Sunday night as the surviving members of the MC5 (Motor City Five) and guest performed in a small club.
MC5, a late '60s group founded in Detroit, and possibly the first to venture into heavy metal or punk, had its share of controversy in its heyday. Their label (Elektra) censored lyrics in their KICK OUT THE JAMS album for pressings beyond the first, they were investigated by the FBI during the '68 Democratic Party convention and struggled in obscurity for most of their 35-year career. Two original members, Fred "Sonic" Smith and Rob Tyner, died in the early 90s.
The current lineup includes Guitarists Michael Davis and Wayne Kramer and Drummer Dennis Thompson. Vocalists on the tour are Marshall Crenshaw, best known for "Someday, Someway," Evan Dando of the Lemonheads and Mark Arm of Mudhoney. While all say they're influenced by the original lineup, their vocal styles are dissimilar.
The overall performance was highly energetic, extremely loud and never dull, as frequent rhythm changes occurred. The psychedelic guitars occasionally gave way to poetry readings. This is an acquired taste and not for those who crave peace and quiet. It's the history behind it all that makes it worthwhile.
The MC5 -- now known as the DKT-MC5 (Davis/Kramer/Thompson) -- shared the following tunes with an audience of around 150 for an hour and 40 minutes:

Tonight (featuring Crenshaw)
Future
I Can Only Give You Everything
Sister Anne
Call Me Animal
Shakin' Street
High School
I Believe to my Soul (Ray Charles tribute)
Teenage Lust
Over & Over
Poison
Kick Out the Jams (Motherf***ers)
Come Together (NOT the Beatles tune)
Starship --- composed by Sun Ra
Let Me Try
Looking at You
Rocket Reducer Number 62
American Ruse.

There was little merchandise/memorabilia available at the show because so much of the MC5 catalog is out of print. The release of a comprehensive DVD on July 6 will more than make up for the inconvenience. It will contain live performances, interviews, old TV clips and previously unrelased material as a bonus.
Last night's venue was the Echo Lounge, based in Atlanta's Little Five Points community. The next destination was to be New Orleans.

JB
For more information visit

www.dkt-mc5.com

Rhino,controller of Electra Records vault,has released BACK IN THE USA and HIGH TIME,and the original versions of about 3/4s of that tour set can be found on Rhino's "best of" comp,THE BIG BANG. For as much heat,as opposed to fire,that the band generated during its original time,Rhino has done a decent job keeping their material available. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom