Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
The Merry-Go-Round
THE MERRY-GO-ROUND

A&M SP-4132

sp4132.jpg

Released as mono LP-132, and on CD as part of the Rev-Ola LISTEN, LISTEN: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION (CR REV 110)

Tracks:
Side One
1. Live (Emitt Rhodes) 2:36
2. Time Will Show the Wiser (Emitt Rhodes) 2:30
3. On Your Way Out (Emitt Rhodes) 2:34
4. Gonna Fight the War (Emitt Rhodes) 2:05
5. Had to Run Around (Emitt Rhodes) 3:42
6. We're in Love (Emitt Rhodes) 2:28

Side Two
1. You're a Very Lovely Woman (Emitt Rhodes) 2:54
2. Where Have You Been All of My Life (Emitt Rhodes) 2:20
3. Early in the Morning (Emitt Rhodes) 2:06
4. Low Down (Gary Kato) 3:00
5. A Clown's No Good (Emitt Rhodes) 2:25
6. Gonna Leave You Alone (Emitt Rhodes-Gary Kato) 2:22

Produced by: Larry Marks
Album Design by Peter Whorf Graphics

Liner Notes:
It's an honor to me that I have been asked to write a few words of introduction for The Merry-Go-Round...Let me start and end it briefly by saying that with this album you will be enjoying the "main stream," the "nitty gritty" or "where it's at"...whatever that means to you...It means to me good music without any tricks---something that's down to earth...that you and I can easily understand...music for pure emotions [sic] sake!...It's too often true that musicians, artists and writers get carried away with their own creativity trying something new that they miss entertaining you...This is not the case beneath this cover...here is the pure enjoyment of performing for you...a group of songs designed to please you and not someone's ego...This singularly amazing feat was accomplished by four young men who possess the wonderful gift of humility...they are 18 year old go-cart riding, lead guitar playing Gary Kato, 18 year old horseback riding, rhythm guitar playing Emitt Rhodes, 21 year old Ferrari driving, bass guitar playing William Rinehart, 20 year old beach-living, drummer Joel Larson...They know how to live...Why don't you try it?...All you have to do is grab the brass ring...

LUV
DICK MORELAND
Program Director
KRLA, Los Angeles

As I don't own an LP version (only the Rev-Ola CD), I don't have access to the original credits or liner notes if there were any. If anyone else does, please enter them in this thread and I'll add them to the original post.

Harry

Love this LP! Got a still-shrinkwrapped copy for peanuts some 20 years ago, and I still play it now.

Emitt Rhodes was a great pop songwriter, I'm surprised more bands haven't covered his stuff. I have Fairport Convention's version of "Time Will Show The Wiser" but don't know many other covers of his...

Anyone got a mint 45 of "Listen Listen" going spare?!

The Bangles covered "Live."

In voting I was split between "Live" and the tune featured on Family Portrait ("Early In The Morning"). I went with "Ealy..."

I'm also partial to "You're A Very Lovely Woman."

--Mr Bill

"You're A Very Lovely Woman" is what got my vote... The harmonies are pure "vocal wizardry"...!

Wish I had picked up the Emmit Rhodes/Merry•Go•Round "complete works" CD package when I had the chance...

To have what they did in their entirety (including "Saturday Night" which I still haven't heard!) like that must be priceless...!

Dave

mexicat said:
...Emitt Rhodes was a great pop songwriter, I'm surprised more bands haven't covered his stuff...
Agreed. Of A&M's "modern" pop songwriters circa '67 (including Boyce & Hart, and Roger Nichols), Emitt was arguably the best. His follow-up A&M material, and the 1970 Dunhill LP are even better. Too bad A&M wasn't able optimally promote and capitalize on his talents (as well as Boyce & Hart and Nichols). I hear Harry Nilsson and Paul McCartney influence in his songs -- particularly the latter.

Fantastic record. I have it on vinyl, Japanese CD, and the great Rev-ola collection.

Here are the original liner notes:

It's an honor to me that I have been asked to write a few words of introduction for The Merry-Go-Round...Let me start and end it briefly by saying that with this album you will be enjoying the "main stream," the "nitty gritty" or "where it's at"...whatever that means to you...It means to me good music without any tricks---something that's down to earth...that you and I can easily understand...music for pure emotions [sic] sake!...It's too often true that musicians, artists and writers get carried away with their own creativity trying something new that they miss entertaining you...This is not the case beneath this cover...here is the pure enjoyment of performing for you...a group of songs designed to please you and not someone's ego...This singularly amazing feat was accomplished by four young men who possess the wonderful gift of humility...they are 18 year old go-cart riding, lead guitar playing Gary Kato, 18 year old horseback riding, rhythm guitar playing Emitt Rhodes, 21 year old Ferrari driving, bass guitar playing William Rinehart, 20 year old beach-living, drummer Joel Larson...They know how to live...Why don't you try it?...All you have to do is grab the brass ring...

LUV
DICK MORELAND
Program Director
KRLA, Los Angeles

This is followed by the songs and timings, songwriting credits and publishing info (La Brea Music/Thirty Four Music)

Produced by Larry Marks
Album Design by Peter Whorf Graphics

Under the A&M address is this: National Fan Club, 4641 West 132nd Street, Hawthorne, California

Oh, and the picture of Joel Larson has "Joe" next to it.

Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm going to copy and paste your info into the top of the thread.

Harry

I could see where a casual record browser might have thought this album was "recorded live," when in reality "Live" was one of the song titles.

I've never heard this record but I remember being curious about it!

Mike Blakesley said:
I could see where a casual record browser might have thought this album was "recorded live," when in reality "Live" was one of the song titles.

There's also debate over the actual album title. Some think it should be "YOU'RE A VERY LOVELY WOMAN - LIVE", and others make it a self/titled "THE MERRY-GO-ROUND".

Harry

Back
Top Bottom