• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The new Joe Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

Neil has been listening to this for a while now- how is it really?
I saw a second of JJ on a late night show the other night and remembered how excited I was when I saw him on American Bandstand over twenty years ago.
Does it compare with "I'm the Man", "Stepping Out", "Look Sharp", etc.?

Haven't had a chance to listen to it hardly at all, but probably will more as summer rolls around. On the first couple of listens, it sounds similar to the trio of albums Look Sharp!, I'm The Man and Beat Crazy. The band itself is playing better than ever. JJ is perhaps a little more cynical in a few cases, or understanding in others. 20+ years of experience have passed since Beat Crazy too, so the lyrics are more mature and filtered through a lot of it.

The live bonus CD is pretty good...again, the band's in good form, and Graham Maby hasn't lost a thing, he's better than ever. :)

This is great to hear...I've yet to buy or hear the new Joe Jackson recordings. Can't wait!

I've always been a fan of Joe Jackson; Night & Day and Beat Crazy being two of my all time favorite albums - along with Steely Dan's Aja. I know, I know...Steely Dan isn't A&M, but they should have been! :wink:

Another favorite British A&M artist is Chaz Jankel. Talk about original. He's known for having co-written "Sex and Drugs and Rock & Roll," I know, but it's his solo material that I love. Chazablanca, Chaz Jankel and Looking At You being three of my absolute favorites.

A&M had some great British acts!

And I still say that Steely Dan (I know...they aren't British...) should have been A&M Artists. I mean, talk about original material and that classic A&M sound and/or concept...they had it in droves (and still do!) Why the raving? I guess because Joe Jackson, Steely Dan and Chaz Jankel were all such an important part of my high school/early '20s years, that's why! :) They still sound as good as they did all those years ago.

Good memories all. :wink:

Jon

Well, be sure to set aside some time to catch one of the tour dates on the Dan tour this summer. Next week I'm heading out to order a personalized plate for the car in a Steely Dan theme. Provided it's approved (it should be), I'll post a pic of it here. :D

I unfortunately missed Joe Jackson's tour--nobody wanted to go, and I'm not a Pontiac (the city) person anyway...

NIGHT & DAY receives the two-disc Universal deluxe treatment July 29th,featuring demos, live versions from 1983 as featured in the 1980/86 live album and tracks from the "Mike's Murder" soundtrack. Mac

jimac51 said:
NIGHT & DAY receives the two-disc Universal deluxe treatment July 29th,featuring demos, live versions from 1983 as featured in the 1980/86 live album and tracks from the "Mike's Murder" soundtrack. Mac

Night & Day can best be described as definitive in the career of Joe Jackson. Then again, Beat Crazy also falls under this description as well -- both of them sensational albums.

Back in high school, I had four artists and/or groups I listened to religiously: (of course) Sergio Mendes, Steely Dan, Joe Jackson and Chaz Jankel. My British cousin, Jules, turned me on to Chaz when I was a sophomore. He is known as being one of the writers of "Sex & Drugs & Rock-n-Roll". His solo albums, however, were a mix of Jazz, Pop and different musical styles -- all masterful.

Jon

...with good musical memories, online...

Hey Jon!

That's another one in common for us -- Chaz Jankel! My fave is the LP Questionnaire. The title track had an awesome video I only saw two or three times on "eMpTy V"...

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom