• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Rudy, I have several Howard Roberts CDs. "Good Pickin's" is the Jazziest of the bunch. It was originally released in 1959, Marty Paich was the arranger. it should be at Amazon if you want to listen to some sound clips.

Mike

Marty Paich?? No, I don't need sound clips...Paich's name on it is good enough for me. :thumbsup:

I got to know Paich via his old recordings with Mel Tormé. My favorite has to be Mel Tormé Swings Shubert Alley on Verve. Swings its butt off. :D The band is excellent on this one, and Tormé is in top form. He had such good jazz phrasing on his vocals on this album.

I'm about as far from west coast jazz as possible tonight....

ip5MaHbrqA3Qh.jpg

This is the 7" picture disc inside of Peter Gabriel's New Blood, which arrived today. It's a 2-LP set pressed on 180g vinyl. The packaging is gorgeous, again! The packaging is mostly black, and the jacket for the picture disc has the grass motif (Solsbury Hill...get it? :laugh: ). 12 tracks over two LP, plus two songs on the picture disc. The set also came with a coupon to download 24-bit high-resolution WAV files, which I promptly burned to a blank DVD as an audio-DVD (which plays back in any DVD player). Price? With shipping from the UK right to Rood's front door: £18.02. I think I have a whole £2.75 left in my gift certificate funds at Amazon UK after this one. :D

I just finished listening to:

Gladys Knight & the Pips - The Definitive Collection

What a voice. I forgot how good she was.

Mike

The last hit of hers I remember is "Save The Overtime"; have a 12" promo single of that one.

Herbie Hancock: Thrust

Why does the LP sound so darned bad? It sounds like it's under a wet blanket! The Legacy CD reissue is far better. Herbie's catalog needs a good 180g remastering of a few titles...

Little did I know over all these years that this overlooked gem, "Blood On The Rooftops," was hiding within the Wind and Wuthering album. This song is (in Hackett's own words) "...very English," and very visual. (I'd post the lyrics here if they didn't take up so much room.) Hackett's acoustic guitar is stellar on this one also. Having finally gotten into this album after many years, it's almost like a new one for me. This is one of the reasons I've been playing Wind and Wuthering so much in the past couple of months--this song especially just sticks with you. It's definitely worth a listen even if you're not familiar with Genesis:

If by chance you're ever looking for this or other Genesis albums, please do yourself a favor and seek out the "Definitive Edition" remasters. The more recent CD releases (circa 2007) are all remixed, and have had all of the dynamics (and therefore, all of the life) flattened out of them.

Rumer's Seasons Of My Soul is spinning here again on the wrecka playa. The vinyl really suits her style--very warm and natural. Was playing Simply Red's A New Flame on LP during dinner, and am probably going to spin the Genesis We Can't Dance LPs once Rumer is finished.

My recent finds are all LP, as in LPJim my good friend, so here we go:

Floyd Cramer/ Class Of '65 (Stereo black label RCA)
Floyd Cramer At The Console (RCA Mono)
Elton John/ Greatest Hits (Australian Festival-DJM)
Ian & Sylvia/ Four Strong Winds (Orange Vanguard label Stereolab)
Olivia Newton-John/ Greatest Hits (MCA Cream Label)
Bee Gees/ Rare, Precious & Beautiful (UK Polydor original Mono issue)
George Shearing/ Black Satin (Capitol Side Logo mono LP)
Ray Anthony/ Dream Dancing (Capitol Turquoise Mono LP)
Glen Campbell/ 20 Greatest Hits (UK Capitol Stereo LP)
Ace Cannon/ Tuff Sax (Hi US mono original)
Ronnie Aldrich & His Two Pianos/English Festival Orchestra/ Christmas Album (UK Decca Phase Four)
Mamas & The Papas Deliver (US Dunhill Stereo original, this one is quiet and good sounding for once)

My Technics SP-25/ Audio-Technica ATP-16T. Stanton 681A is loving being played and delivering superb musical enjoyment.

Since it's not practical to bring CDs to Afghanistan I just put my computer on iTunes random play whenever I'm in my room which sadly is not much with my workload here) and take whatever song out of the 25,000+ I have it plays at me. Latest plays of note: Burl Ives, Herb Alpert & Dr. Demento...

Got Miles Davis Amandla spinning right now; Doo-Bop might be next. :agree:

George Shearing/ Black Satin (Capitol Side Logo mono LP)

My Technics SP-25/ Audio-Technica ATP-16T. Stanton 681A is loving being played and delivering superb musical enjoyment.

Classic Shearing. :agree: I forget how many "Satin" albums he had. I know there was Black Satin and White Satin; I think one of the labels put them on the same CD as a two-fer. I have noticed, though, it is very difficult to find clean Capitol 50s mono albums around here. A lot of them were played on equipment that had a tracking force of about 5-1/2 pounds, and many never saw the inside of the LP jacket once they left the store. :laugh: Seriously, many are well played out, and it takes me a few times to find one that plays acceptable.

BTW, an SP-25 came up locally. I think the seller wanted $250 for it, which is pretty good. It would have needed a plinth, however. I'd have mounted the G707-II on it (yep, still have that thing). :thumbsup: Still not the SP-10 Mk II or III that I want but OTOH, I don't have a spare kidney to trade for one of those. :laugh:

Since it's not practical to bring CDs to Afghanistan I just put my computer on iTunes random play whenever I'm in my room which sadly is not much with my workload here) and take whatever song out of the 25,000+ I have it plays at me. Latest plays of note: Burl Ives, Herb Alpert & Dr. Demento...

Music in any form is worth taking with you. 10 years ago, we never would have imagined taking that many songs with us, portable, and now we take it for granted. I am thankful I have the largest Zune, so I can take almost 20,000 songs with me. I know, I can't ever play all of them but it is good to have entire collections of an artist with me if I want to hear something obscure. I have a lot of playlists, some artist or style specific, others are more general (my "pop/rock/R&B" playlist that spans 1000+ songs for example, or my recent "Mellow Madness" playlist that covers 20+ hours). My Zune library on the computer has far more than the 20,000, and there are still thousands I need to convert. That does not even cover albums on vinyl I don't have the time to convert just yet.

Especially where you're at, music can help keep you sane...keeps you grounded IMHO, a bit of "home" and something familiar you have with you.

Right now I'm listening to the surround SACD of Carpenters. My desk is closer to the rear speakers, so I'm sitting near the castanets. :agree: This is one of the best surround mixes I own.

My New Fixation and Fascination: LAURA NYRO!!!!!!

OK, all it took was test-playing a (used) CD copy of Laura Nyro's New York Tendaberry in a store and I got hooked!!!!!! This one includes a couple of bonus tracks: a "Single-edited version" of "Save The Country", which is actually a '45', recorded in Los Angeles, produced by Bones Howe... I did test-play a used double CD compilation, which also had that single on it, & the musicians were credited (Joe Osborne, bass, Hal Blaine, drums, of course & I forgot the keyboardist, & while there seems to be three guitarists (Mike Deasy among 'em, & w/o his trademark licks, I think there was always a 'habit' of listing "enough guitarists for a baseball team" & only hearing one or two on a given song actually play!)...

The other was a "Save The Country" sound-a-alike, "In The Country Way", which was recorded in Nashville... Having recently appreciating recordings done there (Bobby Goldsboro, Mickey Newbury, and a lot of country artists, of which ever record stores still have any--though I really needed to buy "before Country (from my new-found record collecting perspective) was cool!"...) I think this unreleased track is quite good... (If Laura didn't play her piano on this one, then Hargus "Pig" Robbins might have--though no keys seem very audible... Fred Carter, Jr. may have even sat in on guitar... And a harmonica played on it could only be Charlie McCoy!)

Anyhow, "The Laura that MY Laura was named after": Snatched up whatever good playing vinyl I could (even buying back her later-'70's comebacks, Smile, Nested and the Live Seasons Of Lights, which I'd owned because my favorite guitarist John Tropea had played on those & mainly bought 'em to learn the licks!)... Naturally my New York Tendaberry vinyl didn't play as well, so keeping the CD is justified there (the vinyl has a lyric sheet inside w/ the photo of her penthouse balcony but no one near me has a copy with it inside of which foreign pressings have that as a gatefold or have used it as the actual cover, which at least made it into the CD booklet) and I found a brand new CD copy of Christmas & The Beads Of Sweat (well, TWO new ones--one was $6.99 and the other $13.99, so I'll leave it up to you guys to guess which one I'd actually bought!)... I could have also bought The First Songs on CD, also for $6.99 at the same place that had the cheaper Christmas.../Beads... (which was formerly issued as More Than A New Discovery, that I'd bought just for the different cover & the liner notes of "discovering her" and it was on Verve/Forcast, but Laura has recorded on Columbia throughout her entire career, even when it became Legacy, then Sony)...

I got the 1971 album done w/ Labelle (Patti Labelle, Nona Hendryx & Sarah Dash) Gonna take a miracle, of which Laura does cover songs & recorded in Philadelphia, which is quite good... And Mother's Spiritual, recorded in 1984, dedicated to her son, Gil (you hear him on at least one track), of which she tends to take a political stance at things, but it's not bad (another LP of hers I'd had previously--Todd Rundgren helped out on production there)... Also Eli & The 13th Confession (had to get two copies to get the scented lyrics sheet, although it seem to be "scented" of old paper, now!)...

Still need her last albums, Walk The Dog& Light The Light (which I had on cassette & might have gotten rid of when I quit on tapes) and the posthumous-released Angel In The Dark...

Laura unfortunately died of ovarian cancer in 1997, & I wish I'd seen her in concert when I'd heard of her coming here to Michigan at Cranbrook in West Bloomfield in 1993... (Even if it was only just her & her piano & a few singers...)

Anyway, I'm enjoying "more than my NEW, RE-Discovery"...! (Thank you for the wonderful, whimsical music & the way you sing it, Laura!!!!)

-- Dave

Latest purchases: UK Mono Stateside pressing of "Vol.2"; German Deutsch Grammophon stereo pressing of "!Going Places!"; Demo CD-R of UK release of "What Now My Love" CD (and it's exactly the same as the Shout Factory album - so I'm guessing the version released in the UK on vinyl will never appear on CD); and an unplayed copy of the Herb's UK 1972 A&M budget album "Cabaret".
images
images
3340511.jpg

Tony, I wish there was a way I could either pay a visit to the UK, or have you smuggle over some contraband. :wink: I'm starting to collect first-release Genesis albums, on the Charisma label. The later ones are on Virgin, and I have We Can't Dance already (only released on vinyl in the UK). Really looking for Wind and Wuthering, ...And Then There Were Three, Duke and Abacab, then might work my way into the Peter Gabriel area. I have Trick Of The Tail on a Mobile Fidelity LP that sounds fantastic, so I may not go for that one on Charisma since this one is so clean. It still would be neat to compare it to a genuine Charisma pressing though. Genesis (GEN-LP1) and Invisible Touch (GEN-LP2) are on Virgin. I have GEN-CD1 (Genesis, on a first-pressing CD, released in the days before simultaneous CD releases in the US, and weeks or months before it was available on CD here).

So much good stuff, so little time...so little money... :laugh: I'm pretty much sticking to listings from sellers here in the US, although my UK We Can't Dance came by way of an Amazon.UK seller, and it is in fantastic condition.

I just received the Miles Davis Live in Europe 1967 CD set that also contains a DVD of the concerts. This is his classic quintet with Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. So far this has been an incredible listen. I'll pop in the DVD later on.

I've been on an Al Stewart groove lately here. And when I've had enough mellow music I'll put Skafish or the Cramps on the ol' iTunes...

--Mr. Bill

I've been on an Al Stewart groove lately here. And when I've had enough mellow music I'll put Skafish or the Cramps on the ol' iTunes...

I loves me some Al Stewart. :thumbsup: This year I've been into the Last Days Of The Century and 24 Carrots albums; both Year Of The Cat and Time Passages are perennial favorites. Great stuff for history buffs also--I think he has explanations of some of his songs on his official site. Love the story behind "Red Toupee". :D

Hall & Oates: X-Static. Dug through the vinyl tonight and didn't realize I owned this one. Also spun tonight:

Michael Franks: One Bad Habit, and Sleeping Gypsy (side 2)

Bill Withers: 'Bout Love (this one features "Love Is" that Herb plays on the Rise album)

Robert Plant: Now & Zen

Miles Davis: "Shout" promo 12" single (remix on one side)

John Klemmer: And We Were Lovers (his second album, recorded for Cadet in 1968)

Back
Top Bottom