The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Curiosity finally led me to chase down this track from Ivan Lins' 1977 album Somos Todos Iguais Nesta Noite:

"Aaaahhh Dinorah, Dinorah."

I first heard it on this record:

Benson stays fairly true to Lins' version, aside from playing guitar for the melody rather than singing it. This of course is also filtered through Quincy Jones' production, so it has that floaty, spacious quality that Jones began exploring in the mid 70s on albums as far back as You've Got It Bad Girl.

Our old pal @mongoslade put up a 12-inch single of the track, and I'm just hearing it now for the first time--the album version above is actually an edit. This is the full version. Which, of course, I need to track down now...

Last edited:
(Formal Western Art Music Survey, 1750-1950: Week LX -- Foerster)

(Back after a near two-month classical hiatus. Forward. March...)

clas-1.jpg

jaz-1-1.jpg

Joe Zawinul. Zawinul had a rather auspicious 1960s -- the bulk of which was as the pianist and arranger with Cannonball's popular Quintet/Sextet (he wrote the "hit" Mercy, Mercy, Mercy), then in early '69 he joined up with Miles for the In A Silent Way project and in 1970 he cut his 3rd solo and eponymously named LP, which is apparently regarded as the blueprint for Weather Report. I just picked up Zawinul, so I cannot offer comment but, am confident it is more-or-less consistent with what he was exploring with Miles in '69. On the other hand, having nearly all of Cannonball's '60s output, I can happily report that Zawinul is an excellent pianist, and a highly skilled songwriter and arranger. More so than most jazz songwriters of the era, his melodies are quite "tuneful" in a pop sense. Check out the pieces he wrote for Nat Adderley on Nat's two A&M/CTi LPs.

This is tirst time I've really listened to this album, vs. just queueing it up for a day's work. A good soul-jazz recording, yet I can't get over how good it sounds, very un-Blue Note like. Punchy and clean.

1675177099136.png

And the Doctor is up to his usual tricks. 😁

This is tirst time I've really listened to this album, vs. just queueing it up for a day's work. A good soul-jazz recording, yet I can't get over how good it sounds, very un-Blue Note like. Punchy and clean.

1675177099136.png

And the Doctor is up to his usual tricks. 😁
Lonnie's got this thing goin'. I can't pin it down -- but it's like Herb: I can feel Herb's trumpet (like Miles said...in 3 notes) -- the same's true with Lonnie...I get it very quickly. (Even Larry Young (my fave), I can't always quickly pin down.)

I found a copy of Pais Tropical at the used book and record store I go to now and then. It is the first time that I have seen this album other than a retail store.
It was in good condition overall. It has the old label so I guess it is an early pressing. The funny thing is that it stated on the record itself as Brazil'77 which was corrected on the later pressing new label that I had purchased years ago. I bought this as a second copy to have just in case.
It sounds as good now as it did back in the day.

Last edited:
Can't really describe the style of Th' Legendary Shack Shakers--it's like roots rock meets blues, swamp, rockabilly and twisted bluegrass. I've posted this one before. Their track "CB Song" (using CB radio jargon) was featured in a GEICO commercial. And "Shakerag Holler" totally goes off the rails--for it's 1:39 length, there's a lot to digest. All these years later, I'm still trying to figure out what's happening in the left speaker with J.D. Wilkes' vocal part. 😁 (Although he plays a wicked harmonica.) It reminds of the soundtrack of a crazy chase through a barnyard involving a wayward pig, a tractor, piles of hay, and a clapped-out pickup truck. It's one of those tracks where, even after you've listened a dozen times, you're thinking--what the heck just happened there?? 🤣

Curiosity finally led me to chase down this track from Ivan Lins' 1977 album Somos Todos Iguais Nesta Noite:

"Aaaahhh Dinorah, Dinorah."

I first heard it on this record:

Benson stays fairly true to Lins' version, aside from playing guitar for the melody rather than singing it. This of course is also filtered through Quincy Jones' production, so it has that floaty, spacious quality that Jones began exploring in the mid 70s on albums as far back as You've Got It Bad Girl.

Our old pal @mongoslade put up a 12-inch single of the track, and I'm just hearing it now for the first time--the album version above is actually an edit. This is the full version. Which, of course, I need to track down now...

Man, I just groove when George Benson comes on. I love his singing voice as much as his incredible skills on the guitar.

Strangely, I haven't played much on this trip. I played maybe three albums in the car but that's it. Usually I'm playing things for hours, and I've logged at least 28 hours of driving so far. This morning I have the portable Riva speaker playing at the condo in Santa Fe--Horace Silver's The Tokyo Blues. An easygoing mood before I head out for the day.

Recently I’ve had The Archies 1971 album “This Is Love” (apparently Remastered, however some of the tracks sound like they were digitized from a vinyl record, as you can hear some vinyl crackles throughout—-I guess the 1971 tape masters must no longer exist——over on Steve Hoffman’s forum in 2020, someone who interviewed Ron Dante in 1999/2000, said that all the Archie Master Tapes have gone missing, so any recent digital releases are from the “best sources” possible—-so I guess he’s talking vinyl, reel-to-reel, 8-track, whatever they could get their hands on —-6th post Sessionography for The Archies, 1970 )It’s a really great album and different from the other Archie albums. It’s really a gem of an underrated album.

The Cyrkle "Red Rubber Ball" (with bonus tracks) from 1966 which I download from Apple iTunes!! Liked the ping pong stereo on this album!!

How often do you go out to lunch and hear Oingo Boingo? "Dead Man's Party" currently playing here in CO on this 23-hour day...

I still will never be a big Ornette Coleman fan, but listening to this one today, I'm hearing things I haven't heard before. If anything, it turned my "WTF" into curiosity. 🤣 I still remember my first listen over 20 years ago, lifting the tonearm a minute into "Endangered Species" and feeling like I'd wasted $5 on a used record. 😁

1678904605719.png

The interesting part is how the 20th anniversary edition (hence the "XX" overlaid on the jacket) adds six more tracks from the sessions but adds them to the beginning of the CD, not the end. I could see why the original release wouldn't have been released as a double album (it is from the LP era), but it's puzzling why a playful track like "The Good Life" wouldn't have appeared on the original version. Adding the six tracks lifts the album up quite a bit, and putting them front-loaded on the reissue was a smart move as they don't feel at all like they were studio leftovers.

"The Good Life" also appeared on the Jack DeJohnette album Parallel Realities Live which also featured Dave Holland and Herbie Hancock along with Pat Metheny. And Charlie Haden (who performs on Song X) recorded a version on his album Quartet West, featuring Ernie Watts, Alan Broadbent and and longtime associate Billy Higgins.

Back
Top Bottom