The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

This is...interesting?

1711457926116.png

A local reviewer mentioned this was his album of the year for 2023. I can't even describe it, as it's such a mashup of different styles. Atwood-Ferguson is a violinist/multi-instrumentalist, composer, and arranger. The music treads a line between jazz, classical, ambient, maybe even light touches of new age, hip-hop, and prog-rock synths. Despite orchestrating for many popular musicians in the past (including Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Dr. Dre), appearing on hundreds of albums, and scoring for numerous television and film productions, this is his solo debut release, which has been an ongoing 14 year project, and part one of an overall three-part work.

This is not a short listen--at 3½ hours, it's spread across 4 LPs or 3 CDs, a lot to digest, and I'm about half of the way through what would be the first CD (listening via Qobuz). It's quite an adventure so far. It feels like it might be one of those works where I'd let it play while on a long road trip.

14 years in the making, “Les Jardins Mystiques Vol.1” comprises 52 tracks / 3.5 hours of music composed, arranged and produced by Miguel with contributions from 50+ friends including Kamasi Washington, Thundercat, DOMi & JD Beck, Jeff Parker, Carlos Niño, Austin Peralta, Bennie Maupin, Gabe Noel, Jamael Dean, Jamire Williams, Burniss Travis II, Deantoni Parks, Josh Johnson, Marcus Gilmore and many more.

Based in his hometown of Los Angeles, Miguel is one of the preeminent musicians, orchestrators, arrangers and composers of our time. “Les Jardins Mystiques Vol.1” is his long-awaited inaugural album. It presents us with a passionate statement of intent, a labor of love, and a realm of beautiful possibilities.

“Les Jardins Mystiques” is a project that throws open and shares Miguel’s musical universe. It took shape over a dozen years, largely self-funded by Miguel, and showcasing his distinctly elegant musicianship (on violin, viola, cello and keyboards among other instruments) alongside his free-spirited dialogues with more than 50 instrumentalists. Volume 1 is the first in a planned triptych, which will collectively comprise ten-and-a-half-hours of original, refreshingly expansive music. Miguel connected with his guest musicians in versatile ways: through convivial studio dialogues; over remote communication during the pandemic era; and via the energy of live performances at LA venues including Del Monte Speakeasy (the gorgeously invigorating, piano-led “Dream Dance”) and Bluewhale (including “Ano Yo” with vivacious alto from Devin Daniels, and the cosmic harmonies of “Cho Oyu”). Bennie Maupin, the legendary US multi-reedist whose repertoire includes Miles Davis’s fusion opus Bitches Brew, plays bass clarinet on the entrancing opening number, “Kiseki”.

“Les Jardins Mystiques” reflects Miguel’s ethos that music is a natural, vitally unaffected life force. The titles across Volume 1’s tracks draw from international languages and traditions, including Spanish, Swahili, Sanskrit, Ancient Greek, Japanese and Hebrew, as well as the Buddhist practice that has been key to Miguel’s life since his twenties (“It’s very joyous and very hard, because it says that there’s no retirement age in human revolution,” he says). The tracks contrast in length, from “Zarra”’s vivid burst of analogue synths to the alluringly chilled melody of “Kairos (Amor Fati)”, yet there’s a gloriously unconstrained flow throughout, and each piece seems to unfurl and blossom into its own wondrous world.

The blissfully radiant “Airavata” derives its title from the white elephant who carries the Hindu deity Indra: a divine being associated with elemental forces. It features Miguel on electric guitar (recorded then reversed to mesmerizing effect) and acoustic violin/viola, alongside bassist Gabe Noel and cellist Peter Jacobson. The stirring “Tzedakah” alludes to a Hebrew and Arabic concept of philanthropy and righteousness, and incorporates soulful bouzouki and oud within its multi-instrumental whirl. The vividly emotive piano melody “Mångata” is inspired by a Swedish word that describes the moon’s undulating reflection on water.

“To me, playing music in any kind of setting is like swimming in an ocean of sounds and emotions and vibrations,” he says. “It’s the combination of all these different rivers, right? Western European classical music is an intense love and passion of mine; all the different genres within jazz music are a joy to practice and have given my life so much meaning; electronic music, world music, and all these different things I’ve been exploring all these years.”

“I just want to be an enabler for magic and empowerment, everyone and everything. I believe in people… and I think that this is a very benevolent multiverse we’re living in. I feel like everything has infinite worth. That’s why I tried to have the diversity of tracks on there; every one is a mystical garden, in my opinion.”

I decided to follow you down that particular rabbit hole, Rudy, and added all of Atwood-Ferguson's catalog to my Apple Music library. This morning, I'm listening to The Atwood-Ferguson/Spero Duet with Greg Spero.

You're right, it is hard to describe and I think you're also right about all the boundaries between genres it crosses.

I'm down to the final four minutes of the album and I've enjoyed it.

I decided to follow you down that particular rabbit hole, Rudy, and added all of Atwood-Ferguson's catalog to my Apple Music library. This morning, I'm listening to The Atwood-Ferguson/Spero Duet with Greg Spero.

You're right, it is hard to describe and I think you're also right about all the boundaries between genres it crosses.

I'm down to the final four minutes of the album and I've enjoyed it.
Must have been a very fascinating rabbit hole.

I had a cheap vinyl copy of this LP come my way quite a while ago and only got around to listening to it last night. Yes, it's the MoFi version, so at least it sounds fairly good for being a digitally-sourced record.

1711737531415.png

This is one of those albums where I used to like it back in the 80s and 90s but, listening to it today, it just sounds like someone stabbing at ideas with rearranging "Concierto de Aranjuez" and nothing's really working. I don't hear anything close to "genius" level here. Sounds like a high school arranging project...in a school for the deaf. (Sorry.) I have to admit in the past 20 years or so, the Gil Evans arrangements turn me off. About a dozen years ago, I had gotten ahold of a copy of Out of the Cool and could never get into it..."La Nevada" just drones on for 15 minutes and makes no forward movement. I know that some revere his work but for my taste, there are too many things in his work that rub me the wrong way, and honestly, if I never hear Sketches of Spain again in my life, it won't be missed. Even Miles seems lost on this one, meandering just as much as Gil Evans did here.

Again, sorry...

For sale--one MoFi LP, played once...

I've been a fan of conductor Bernard Haitink's work with the Concertgebouw Orchestra in the Netherlands. Turns out there's a Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw, and similar to the Metropole Orkest (also in the Netherlands), this jazz ensemble features guest artists. Three years ago I found this album with guest artist Dr. Lonnie Smith (one of my favorite B3 players) on Qobuz, and just recently picked up an inexpensive vinyl copy of it. Nice pressing!

1711738166220.png

The album has a handful of standards on it, and two were composed by the Doctor himself.

Not spinning yet, but Moon & Stars is arriving mid May:

1711748079054.png

The title track is the first single and I'm kinda "meh" on it. But then again, their picks for singles often aren't the better tracks on the albums, like "Poder Viver" from En Español. (IOW, an average track among many stellar ones.)

Indy store vinyl releases apparently will get a unique "galaxy blue" color vinyl, where the other option (shown) will be lunar white. I'm also suspecting that there might be a very limited, signed version with some unusual colored vinyl (like En Español with the pink/blue/black splatter).

So, yesterday, I was in one of this week's just-arrived vehicles for review, and the delivery driver had left it on SiriusXM's "The Bridge" channel, which was playing John Stewart's "Gold" (1979). And I thought "Hey! Bombs Away, Dream Babies must finally be available."

Well, it's not. Still a big hole in the Stewart discography. Anyway, I realized I had overlooked adding John to my Apple Music library and corrected that.

Working alphabetically, two albums have really impressed me so far, 1984's American Sketches, which is entirely instrumental but beautiful and Blondes, a 1982 album that carries forward the sound (with assists from Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks) of Bombs Away, Dream Babies.

I've enjoyed John's music since the late 60s, but never really took a deep dive. I do remember playing "Kansas Rain" back in '72, which Warner Bros. had issued as a single, one line of which I've never forgotten:

"Standin' in line at the Bank of America

Nobody spoke

They were in the house of God."

And I thought "Hey! Bombs Away, Dream Babies must finally be available."
Sadly it has had only a single CD release, 30 years ago, on Razor & Tie. And they're somewhat in demand with prices from $30-ish up to a few pennies shy of $200.

I think Universal owns RSO's masters these days? Ooops, I hope not, as that would mean they possibly got roasted in 2008...

More from John Stewart---this morning, 1992''s Bullets in the Hour Glass (sic). By this point, he's stepped away from the pop thing he was doing in the late 70s/early 80s and is somewhere between folk and Americana. There's not much I can say that does the album justice. It's quiet, solid, and I know I'll want to hear it again.

Sometime last summer, I was looking through my LPs and ran across a pristine promo issue of BOMBS AWAY DREAM BABIES. I fondly remembered the song "Gold" and digitized that one song. I don't think I ever listened to the rest of the album. But "Gold" is a great single.

1711810629913.png

Sometime last summer, I was looking through my LPs and ran across a pristine promo issue of BOMBS AWAY DREAM BABIES. I fondly remembered the song "Gold" and digitized that one song. I don't think I ever listened to the rest of the album. But "Gold" is a great single.

1711810629913.png
“Midnight Wind” and “Lost Her in the Sun” were the follow-up singles. Both really good songs. The whole album is worth your time.

The whole album is worth your time.
Bombs Away Dream Babies truly is a gem. Notables Lindsey Buckingham co-produced and Stevie Nicks did backing vocals on Gold and Midnight Wind.

Good mention. I think I will give a listen again soon to earlier work I have: '69 California Bloodlines and '73 Cannons in the Rain .

Bombs Away Dream Babies truly is a gem. Notables Lindsey Buckingham co-produced and Stevie Nicks did backing vocals on Gold and Midnight Wind.

Good mention. I think I will give a listen again soon to earlier work I have: '69 California Bloodlines and '73 Cannons in the Rain .

Just did Cannons in the Rain this morning. Another really strong album.

Now back down Rudy's Miguel Atwood-Ferguson rabbit hole with 2020's Chicago Waves. Billed as Carlos Nino and Miguel Atwood-Ferguson. This one is wayyyy more ambient. I feel like I should be having aromatherapy, getting a massage and fondling a crystal. But that's not necessarily a negative---I haven't moved on to anything else yet.

Both John Stewart "Bombs Away Dream Babies" & "Dream Babies Go Hollywood" are NOT available on Apple iTunes. His album "Airdream Believer" are the recuts!!

Now back down Rudy's Miguel Atwood-Ferguson rabbit hole with 2020's Chicago Waves. Billed as Carlos Nino and Miguel Atwood-Ferguson. This one is wayyyy more ambient. I feel like I should be having aromatherapy, getting a massage and fondling a crystal. But that's not necessarily a negative---I haven't moved on to anything else yet.

About the time that I felt like I'd had enough of Chicago Waves, it began the final two tracks---20 minutes each. Thanks, but no thanks, and I'm moving on---to Chick Corea & Freiderich Gulda's The Meeting.

I'm not a fan of modern remixes, but here's a rare one that gets it right. Johnny Hammond's "Fantasy."

1711981554348.png

Saw this out of curiosity in Roon, as it's shown as a single release beneath his album listings. "Fantasy" is from the Prestige album Gears, which is the second of his two albums with the Mizell brothers. The Faze Action remixes here are a throwback to the great remixes of the mid 70s through the early 80s--only minor additions (like percussion) or tweaks to the mix (bringing out rhythmic elements), rather than throwing some pointless drum machine over the drum track and changing the bassline, and/or obscuring most of the original track.

FYI, this is not a cover version of the Earth, Wind & Fire track--this is a different song composed by Hammond and Larry Mizell.

“Midnight Wind” and “Lost Her in the Sun” were the follow-up singles. Both really good songs. The whole album is worth your time.
Just looking through some 45s, and it turns out I have both of those singles as mono/stereo promos. Still need to sit down and listen to them.
I liked the Bombs Away Dream Babies album too. Another good one is "Midnight Wind."

This is an interesting cover version by salsero Johnny Ray. Yes, it's that "Lady."

I just upgraded to Roon 2.0 (long story) and found that they've improved the radio feature--we can now paste in a stream URL and Roon will add it to the library if it's a valid stream. I was able to dig through the source code of the Salsa Warriors site and finally found a stream link that would work. And it's been playing for 45 minutes without issue, sounding better than the web players on their site. (Granted, "better" is still only MP3 128kbps and mediocre at best, but with lower bitrates it can sound really bad.)

Anyhow, a nice feature in Roon is that it is receiving artist/album/song data from the stream, and with one click I was able to jump right to the album (thanks to Qobuz offering it), and have it queued up to play later. If it can't recognize any of the data, the artist and/or album will not link. Incredibly convenient, and you can't do that with CDs.

Crossing Over is a covers album, and has a lot of interesting tracks, many of them from the R&B/soul canon.

I found a really good new release--Rachel Z's Sensual. It was released this past Friday. I've followed Rachel Z on and off since I saw her on tour with Peter Gabriel on his smaller-scale tour for the Up album. I'll hope there is a high-res version released but for now, I've ordered this on vinyl. (It's hard to find--you have to go directly to the label's online store to order it, but at least shipping is free.)

1712016278907.png

Musically I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of, but I'm thinking it's like David Benoit except less pop-oriented, or Crusaders/Joe Sample without the "soul" influence, or...heck, I don't know, it's "contemporary" jazz but without sounding like a $mooth Jazz sellout, and done all with acoustic instruments in a basic piano jazz trio format. It's easy on the ears yet has some meat on the bones? 🤷‍♂️

Omar Hakim* is on drums, and produces. It features three different bass players--Tony Levin, Jonathan Toscano, and Matt Penman. Mino Cinelu adds percussion. I'm about to switch over to the big boy system in a few minutes, but so far this albums sounds good even at CD resolution. Among some self-penned tunes, she includes the Foo Fighters song "These Days."

*Hakim's credits include drumming on Sting's first album, The Dream of the Blue Turtles, and he also recorded all of the drum parts for the Dire Straits album Brothers in Arms. He also worked with Miles Davis, Joe Sample, David Sanborn, Roy Ayers, George Benson, and Lee Ritenour. Rachel Z has also been an in-demand studio keyboardist throughout the years.

I found a really good new release--Rachel Z's Sensual. It was released this past Friday. I've followed Rachel Z on and off since I saw her on tour with Peter Gabriel on his smaller-scale tour for the Up album. I'll hope there is a high-res version released but for now, I've ordered this on vinyl. (It's hard to find--you have to go directly to the label's online store to order it, but at least shipping is free.)

1712016278907.png

Musically I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of, but I'm thinking it's like David Benoit except less pop-oriented, or Crusaders/Joe Sample without the "soul" influence, or...heck, I don't know, it's "contemporary" jazz but without sounding like a $mooth Jazz sellout, and done all with acoustic instruments in a basic piano jazz trio format. It's easy on the ears yet has some meat on the bones? 🤷‍♂️

Omar Hakim* is on drums, and produces. It features three different bass players--Tony Levin, Jonathan Toscano, and Matt Penman. Mino Cinelu adds percussion. I'm about to switch over to the big boy system in a few minutes, but so far this albums sounds good even at CD resolution. Among some self-penned tunes, she includes the Foo Fighters song "These Days."

*Hakim's credits include drumming on Sting's first album, The Dream of the Blue Turtles, and he also recorded all of the drum parts for the Dire Straits album Brothers in Arms. He also worked with Miles Davis, Joe Sample, David Sanborn, Roy Ayers, George Benson, and Lee Ritenour. Rachel Z has also been an in-demand studio keyboardist throughout the years.

I became aware of Rachel Z sometime in the 90s and I always enjoyed her style of Jazz I'm glad to see she is still performing she does remind me somewhat of David Benoit and Joe sample stylewise

About the time that I felt like I'd had enough of Chicago Waves, it began the final two tracks---20 minutes each. Thanks, but no thanks, and I'm moving on---to Chick Corea & Freiderich Gulda's The Meeting.

The Meeting went on too long----very noodle-y, which I can absolutely get behind, but not in this case. Alphabet took me to 1986's The Chick Corea Elektric (sic) Band. The 80s are very strong with this one. Maybe a bit too strong. Sounds like outtakes from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack.

So, now for something completely different----Ry Cooder's Chicken Skin Music---and after 48 years, the album cover art just registered for the first time. Yikes.

Alphabet took me to 1986's The Chick Corea Elektric (sic) Band. The 80s are very strong with this one. Maybe a bit too strong. Sounds like outtakes from the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack.
That is why I get frustrated with Corea's catalog. He has a lot of brilliant albums, but has just as many that are overly-indulgent or clichéd. Eye of the Beholder is probably the best of the Elektric Band albums--might be worth a listen when you get to "E" as it has stronger melodic content and some good soloing. Corea also had a similar lineup as the Chick Corea Akoustic Band that has recorded a small number of albums--those seem to be more grounded.

And this is why we do this. On release, in 1976, I would have hated this album. Today, I love it.
I'm in the same place. I've been fairly steady throughout the decades in terms of likes/dislikes but it seems that in the past 3-4 years, what I like, and what I listen to, have shifted quite a bit. Some likes have turned into dislikes, and vice versa. I also now find it a complete waste of time to nitpick every little detail on a record, or care if one version is different from another. (Unless it is sound-related--if the recording or mastering is poor, nothing will attract me to a recording unless it is very exceptional or rare.) These days I just want to listen to music that I like, without the fuss. I get the best-sounding version I can, and ignore the rest.

There's also a parallel on the audiophile side. So many out there are constantly upgrading and trying new things, but I'm well past that stage. After finally getting one last piece of the puzzle last year, I have reached the "end game" and have no more major changes on the horizon. All the "painful" expenditures are behind me (and granted, I buy used equipment, or new equipment only if I get a steep discount.) Sure there are always minor things I will need, and I always have to be prepared if something quits working, but these days I almost like to treat the system as (I hate saying this) an appliance--I just want to turn it on and play music.

Back
Top Bottom