THE OFFICIAL REVIEW: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 5 11.4%

Votes: 8 18.2%

Votes: 18 40.9%

Votes: 12 27.3%

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anybody has watched the video "CLOSE TO YOU: Remembering The Carpenters", they might remember that Richard summed up this album in one statement: "We needed our batteries recharged!" John Bettis added that he felt the touring was "taking it's toll especially on Rich"...

This is why, nowadays, artists stand up to everybody and say, "OK, I'm taking a three or four month vacation whether you like it or not", and meanwhile they're milking every song they can (as singles) before spending any more time and money on the next record. After all, they're people too.

Judging from what sadly happened with Karen, Can you really blame them?

Tony

Count me in the "Goofus" fan club as well. Don't know what it is about that song, but I have always loved it. Though up until now I had no idea it was a cover! Who did it originally?

Actorman said:
Count me in the "Goofus" fan club as well. Don't know what it is about that song, but I have always loved it. Though up until now I had no idea it was a cover! Who did it originally?

I knew it was an old song, but I hadn't known that "Goofus" was performed by Les Paul until I watched
SakuraSYayoi said:
51gVvVPKiUL._SS500_.jpg

This aired on TV last year and was released as DVD in th U.S..
I love Richard talk about Les Paul and Mary Ford. I love hearing Richard talk about '50s music(?) on BBC radio prgoram, and watching Richard talk about old music at piano on NHK TV, too.

Sakura

As far as I know, "Goofus" can only be found on two compilations - the giant and obscure Japanese SWEET MEMORY set and the Netherlands ULTIMATE COLLECTION set. Other than that, it's pretty much limited to A KIND OF HUSH and the 45 singles.

Given the number of compilations for Carpenters over the years, it says a lot that this song is nearly totally ignored, and yet it was a single.

Harry

Isn't it odd that Goofus was a single in the US but not in Japan? Hence it did not appear on the Japanese Single Box Set. What would cause this track to be a single in US and not in Japan? Seems Japan was there bigger audience.

Remember when Carpenters were performing at the A&M studio lot for live telethon, then there was the glitch with the audio and Karen turns on her usual funny self, ask the audience ok..so what would you like to hear? Someone in the audience goes, "Goofus", Karen says, "Oh that's a good one"

I always thought that was funny and cool to see and hear. Count me in on a Goofus fan, as mentioned above I don't know what it is about the song but I do like it.

I think the last time I heard "Goofus" was on the last time I played the HUSH album...which was not too many times after the first time, unfortunately!

If my memory serves me correctly - and I could verify this - the fan club letters indicated that "Goofus" was released as a single as a result of fan feedback as to which should be the next single. I actually like the song, though it hardly sounded commercial during the 70s. The whole album has a lot of nostalgic value for me - loved "There's a Kind of Hush", "I Need to be in Love" grew on me over the years to the point where I see it (as Karen did) as a favourite, but nothing on this album beats the intimacy of "One More Time"

I think to be honest they should have stopped releasing any more singles from this album after the first one 'I Need To Be In Love'. None of the other songs on the album were commercial enough to even dent the Billboard charts. And 'I Need To Be In Love' only barely scraped into the top 30.

As much as I loved this album- and I do- it marked the end of a great career- and the end of their relevancy to the music business of the times. "Passage" had an air of desperate about it, "Christmas Portrait" was a hit for the season, and "Made In America" started strong with "Touch Me" but ended weakly.

Despite Passage's kaleidoscope of styles, which at the time may well have seemed like throwing all manner of things at the wall to see if any stuck, I think it's aged quite well (bar Man Smart, Woman Smarter, which ties with Goofus as their worst ever song). A Kind of Hush hasn't aged so well and lacks edge, except perhaps on One More Time, which is a great track - as a mood piece the album works quite well and Karen's vocals are lovely throughout, but it's too laid back and safe sounding. Although the critics had accused their music of being lightwieght before, this is the first album where it could be argued to be a justified comment. The songs themselves are often too unadventurous, but I'd argue that the production is also responsible - Karen's doubled lead vocal on There's A Kind of Hush removes any impact the song might have had (the live version on Live at the Palladium is clearly superior for being a bit sharper) and the syrupy backing choir on I Need To Be In Love drags it down (again, the live version works much better becuase it feels less weighed down and more direct). Perhaps 1976 was particularly tough on Richard - he did manage to improve Can't Smile Without You when it was redone for the B-side of Occupants, which I guess must have been done in 1977. And there's a good reason why Goofus (uniquely for a single I think) has been ignored on nearly all subsequent compilations: it's hideous! Amazing to think that a track of the calibre of Ordinary Fool got passed over in favour of this!!

Good sleeve though (although the picture on the inner sleeve was a bit odd...)

Actorman said:

I've been trying to track that down. I first heard the song on one of my dad's records, by the Buffalo Bills (a barbershop quartet, with this particular album having a Dixieland type of accompaniment to it). If they recorded it in the mid 60s, and they sang mostly cover versions, it had to predate that recording date by a few years.

That brings to mind the horrible version of "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" that appears on Passage. I thought it was a terrible arrangement, and the lyrics were totally dumbed down from the versions I'd originally heard by Harry Belafonte (both recorded in the 50s, one on the chart-topping Calypso album, the other on an early 45RPM EP). Didn't make sense, given how Richard used to at least keep the spirit of the original performance intact even if he put his own spin on it. It was only while listening to one of the rock stations on XM that I discovered that Carpenters were just performing a version that was originally done by rocker Robert Palmer...and their version is almost identical to Palmer's.

The ACE database at the ASCAP site lists these versions of "Goofus"

1. GOOFUS (Title Code: 370046405)
Writers:
HAROLD WILLIAM
KAHN GUS
KING WAYNE

Performers:
ATKINS C
CARLE F
CARPENTERS
CARROLL D
DEE L
DO WACKS DOODLES
DORSEY T
EDDY D
FABRIC B
HAMAN D
HARRIS P
HARRIS P/ORCHESTRA
KING W
KING W/ORCHESTRA
KRONS M
LEDINAN J
MARTERIE R
MERRILL B
NICHOLS R
PAUL L
PIED PIPERS
SEVILLE D
T PETTY TRIO
THREE SUNS
WELK L
WOOD D

Interesting to see "R NICHOLS" there, but now realize it's probably bandleader Red Nichols.

Harry

Harry said:
nteresting to see "R NICHOLS" there, but now realize it's probably bandleader Red Nichols.

Red Nichols & His Five Pennies? :D

Strange the Buffalo Bills aren't listed there, unless they mistakenly credited the arranger on the album (whose name I don't remember).

AMG lists 42 references to the song "Goofus", but their database search comes up empty when I click on the song title. Maybe I have to log in (after creating an umpteenth account there :rolleyes: ) so i can see it.

Rumbahbah said:
Good sleeve (although the picture on the inner sleeve was a bit odd...)

And could this be what it looks like?...:

18366.x-tracks-carpenters.gif

Er, I saw a copy of A Kind Of Hush today at a flea market/junk store and should'a really bothered to look inside... :help:

Dave

...And luckily I had gotten out of the place before a truck came crashing through the wall, which I saw the back of sticking out of that portion of the store as I was getting ready to drive out of the parking lot and had to tell the Police "what I heard as I was getting into my car"...! :neutral:inkshield:

Rudy said:
I've been trying to track that down. I first heard the song on one of my dad's records, by the Buffalo Bills (a barbershop quartet, with this particular album having a Dixieland type of accompaniment to it). If they recorded it in the mid 60s, and they sang mostly cover versions, it had to predate that recording date by a few years.
Not a few years. I had thought "Goofus" was written in '30s. I just searched for "Goofus" at CD Universe, their 'Highly Rated' was
"Milton Brown & The Musical Brownies Complete Recordings Of The Father Of Western Swing 1932-1937" CD, and they have sample.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=2641737

Rudy said:
That brings to mind the horrible version of "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" that appears on Passage. I thought it was a terrible arrangement, and the lyrics were totally dumbed down from the versions I'd originally heard by Harry Belafonte (both recorded in the 50s, one on the chart-topping Calypso album, the other on an early 45RPM EP). Didn't make sense, given how Richard used to at least keep the spirit of the original performance intact even if he put his own spin on it. It was only while listening to one of the rock stations on XM that I discovered that Carpenters were just performing a version that was originally done by rocker Robert Palmer...and their version is almost identical to Palmer's.

Neil is right! I have a cassette tape that I air-checked in '70s. Charlie Tuna's interview with Richard, just before the release of "Passage". Richard mentioned old live version of "Man Smart, Woman Smarter"and he said that he heard Robert Palmer's in England.

These two songs were played at TV Special, weren't they? I like TV Special version of "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" better.

Charlie Tuna still has radio programs, one is called 'Back to the '70s with Charlie Tuna'. He played '70s songs and old interview. If we send requests, he may play old interviews with Karen and Richard.

Sakura

Edit: Eddie South & His International Orchestra's "Goofus" is on "Recorded in Hollywood 1933". I think I have read that several "Goofus" were at chart in '30s.

I finally got the All Music Guide page to load for "Goofus":

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=17:580845

Sakura located one of the earliest versions above. The earliest I found was from 1923 by Slim Lamar & His Southerners (if I trust what All Music Guide says). The sound sample is too short to tell if it's the right song or not, as there are no vocals.

I do wonder, though, if Richard took a cue from the Les Paul arrangement (which I haven't heard) as he was quite fond of their multitracked vocal harmonies.

I do wonder, though, if Richard took a cue from the Les Paul arrangement (which I haven't heard) as he was quite fond of their multitracked vocal harmonies.

I knew I had Les Paul's "Goofus" somewhere, and after digging through my record collection, I found an album with "Goofus" on it.

Pretty safe to say Richard wasn't inspired by Les Paul's arrangement, as there are no vocals on Les Paul's version. It's just Les doing his far-out multi-tracked guitar thing.

Les Paul almost makes the song tolerable. Almost.

David

davidgra said:
Pretty safe to say Richard wasn't inspired by Les Paul's arrangement, as there are no vocals on Les Paul's version. It's just Les doing his far-out multi-tracked guitar thing.

Les Paul almost makes the song tolerable. Almost.

:laugh: Well, that's good to know anyway. IIRC, RC and KC were both fans of the Les Paul/Mary Ford sound, weren't they? The multitracked vocals are definitely inspired by Les Paul's early work.

mstaft said:
Yep, its a pretty bad song, but I dont think its Druscilla Penny bad...

:biglaugh:

You should hear the Buffalo Bills version. :D

http://66.39.28.179/media/BB_Goofus.mp3 (3.1MB)

I love the production and overdubs of both GOOFUS and BOAT TO SAIL. These are two of my faves off the lp. Listen to GOOFUS on a 7.1 system and watch out cuz those oooh ahhh oooh ahhhs will take you aback. It seems that they probably took a little extra time with these. INTBIL sounds as tho it was rushed onto vinyl with that backup chorale. HUSH is bland and doesn't show any technique that HORIZON had primed us for. YOU works as an lp cut. I HAVE YOU is a droning uneventful dirge. ONE MORE TIME is slow and weighs the thing down. I've heard RC's take on these recordings and the subsequent result. Don't get me wrong, I love the lp for many different reasons. However on the heels of HORIZON and the time being 1976 it just didn't flush...or did it?

Of course that JUNE thirty two years ago was a highlight. At first play I did nothing but revel in the glory of a new release. God I miss those days. I can remember where I was, where I bought and the whole she-bang on every release...single and otherwise. Sometimes just for sh**s and giggles I'll let my memory wander and sometimes I can conjure up the old anxiety as I waited with baited breath. I remember the drive home from the lp store took seemingly hours. Once home my elementary self was not to be disturbed as I relished each note and interpretation. I think I only re-emerged due to necessity.

Jeff

I had two friends who took me sailing around the release of this album. "Boat to Sail" has been a favorite ever since...

This album will always bring me back to the summer I purchased the LP (1986) and the warm, mellow images it helped cement in my mind. Boat To Sail, INTBIL, Sandy, One More Time and Goofus all helped set the perfect stage for the first summer of my (new) adult life.
As an "older", more seasoned music "critic", yeah the sound is too mellow for it's time and sounds as though K&R needed a much-deserved break, but no other album wraps and surrounds me in as much warmth as this one does.

Jeff's reminiscing of Carpenters releases really took me back in time.

For some reason, and I know official release dates quickly dispel this statement, but it seemed that every time I heard a new Carpenters song on the radio, or on my 'stereo', it was summer.

Anytime I hear any of their songs today I imagine lush green grass, blue skies with puffy clouds, light breezes - and most importantly, not a care in the world. At least those kinds of cares that now as adults we have to deal with on a daily basis. I think the only worry I had back then was saving my allowance so I could purchase the latest LP or single.

I think Karen sang it best on "Those Good Old Dreams": Like an old love song, gone for much too long, you hear it once again, and it carries you away.

I'll never tire of hearing their music. I'm not crazy about all of the songs, and I do question some of the choices, but I'm happy to have every one of them - I only wish there were more.

I first heard the “A Kind Of Hush” LP in the winter of my 7th grade year. I was starting a new school, and the songs seemed very sad and wistful, like I was feeling that year trying to fit in at a new place. That was the year, 1983, when I began delving into the Carpenters back catalogue. A Kind Of Hush seemed to me, at the time, more “sophisticated” than the Carpenters’ earlier releases, more polished. Perhaps over-familiar with their early seventies hits, AKOH seemed a refreshing departure in style and sound. Over time, however, and aside from a few cherry-picked songs, the LP has not aged well for me.

Over the years I have wondered why Richard chose to change the early seventies “Carpenters” formula. I’ll grant that artists may get bored with doing the “same thing” over and over again, but I think of an artist, like Sade, who puts out essentially the same album every 5 years or so, adding only a few “new” sounds du jour, and then the band goes on hiatus for another half-decade or so. The Carpenters had few missteps from 1969-1973, so as they say, “why fix what ain’t broken?”

As another post duly noted, starting with “Horizon,” Richard opted for choral background voices instead of his and Karen’s: tough break for we fans. In an alternate universe, I can only imagine what AKOH might sound like done ala Carpenters 1972 instrumentation and vocal technique. In fact, it’s a rock-n-roll fantasy of mine to hear a new Richard album in this vein working with a vocalist like Carrie Clough, from “Call and Response.” Want to get Karen déjà vu? Listen to the first 30 seconds of the Call and Response “Bread” tribute song, “Baby-I’m-A-Want-You.” It’s remarkable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom