• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

THE OFFICIAL REVIEW: "OFFERING" (SP-4205)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 6 24.0%

Votes: 8 32.0%

Votes: 7 28.0%

Votes: 3 12.0%

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
“OFFERING”/”TICKET TO RIDE”​

sp4205alt.jpg
sp4205.jpg
Catalogue Number: A&M SP-4205
Date of Release: 11/15/69
Chart Position- U.S.: #150; U.K.: #20; JAPAN: #88
Album Singles: “Ticket To Ride”/”Your Wonderful Parade”
Medium: Reel/Vinyl/8-track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Jack Daugherty
[align=left:2ce84b8e56]Track Listing:

1.) Invocation 1:00 (Carpenter/Bettis)
2.) Your Wonderful Parade 2:57 (Carpenter/Bettis)
3.) Someday 5:13 (Carpenter/Bettis)
4.) Get Together 2:32 (Chet Powers)
5.) All Of My Life 3:00 (Richard Carpenter)
6.) Turn Away 3:09 (Carpenter/Bettis)
7.) Ticket To Ride 4:10 (Lennon/McCartney)
8.) Don’t Be Afraid 2:05 (Richard Carpenter)
9.) What’s The Use 2:43 (Carpenter/Bettis)
10.) All I Can Do 1:42 (Carpenter/Bettis)
11.) Eve 2:51 (Carpenter/Bettis)
12.) Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing 4:15 (Neil Young)
13.) Benediction :40 (Carpenter/Bettis)

Album Credits:

Recorded at A&M Studios—Los Angeles, CA
Engineer: Ray Gerhardt
Vocals: Richard and Karen Carpenter
Drums: Karen Carpenter
Keyboards: Richard Carpenter
Bass: Joe Osborn, Bob Messenger and Karen Carpenter
Guitar: Gary Sims
Shaker: Herb Alpert

Art Direction: Tom Wilkes
Photography: Jim McCrary

Liner Notes:

“Music is simple magic. A rhythm, a melody, a dash of words...presto. It's medicine for the soul, food for love, the essence of divinity, a reason for being. It can soar through an infinite range of ups and downs, strike a million dissonant chords, and topple the strongest resistance. But for all its travels, however wide, however deep, it never forgets to make its simple offering. Enclosed, neatly tucked between the confines of this cardboard jacket, is one of the most beautiful gifts two people can offer. The vocal sound is a product of Richard and Karen Carpenter. In addition to the vocals Karen (age 19) plays drums on all the selections and on two of the offerings she plays electric bass. Her brother, Richard, sings, plays the keyboard instruments, composed ten of the songs, and arranged all of them.”

It is with pleasure A&M Presents:
CARPENTERS

- Herb Alpert[/align:2ce84b8e56]
=====================================================================
NOTE: This thread is dedicated to the authenticity of Carpenters music through their albums. All posts regarding any information you may have related to this release is welcome. We do ask however that the information be as accurate as possible and that the discussion here remain about the album being featured. -Chris

I recall hearing "Ticket To Ride" on my radio back in the late summer of 1969 and thinking what a unique sound that record had. Back then I used to tape songs off of the radio, and this is one I wanted to get, but it dropped out of the rotation before I got a chance.

Once "Close To You" hit it big the following year, I remembered that old "Ticket To Ride" track and though thrilled with the new CLOSE TO YOU album, I was a bit disappointed that "Ticket To Ride" wasn't on it. I don't recall how I heard of OFFERING as an album, but it had already disappeared off of store shelves, yet my sister found a copy that she wrapped up as a Christmas present that year.

I was absolutely thrilled with the album when I got to hear it. Yet at first glance, I could tell it would be a different experience than CLOSE TO YOU. Looking at the song composers, I could see that the great bulk were composed by Richard Carpenter and his partner John Bettis. This meant that it would be a more personal album. CLOSE TO YOU's strengths were in its interpretations of other composers' material, and the one song I knew from OFFERING was a Beatles' song.

But in those grooves I found an album that became one of my all-time favorites. Many dismiss OFFERING as an early effort - a sound not quite up to what the duo would ultimately become. While that's true, I find that early, raw sound irresistible.

With the success of "Close To You" as a single, I began hearing the disc jockeys of the day begin to impart information about this new "Carpenters" group. Indeed, I thought it was a vocal group with maybe four, six or eight members. Once it was revealed that it was a brother-sister duo with overdubbing techniques used, I became even more fascinated. And adding this knowledge to what I was hearing on this first album just added to the charm for me.

Seeing Herb Alpert's name on the back cover added confidence that this would be an OK album. After all, Herb hadn't disapponted me yet, so anything with his name on it had validation.

Later on, of course the album would resurface as TICKET TO RIDE with a new cover. Ultimately I bought one of those to supplement my "showing signs of wear" copy of OFFERING. I played it often then, and still do, on my third digital copy of this favorite of favorites.

Harry
NP: OFFERING, Carpenters

I did not get a copy of "Ticket To Ride" until 1974...after I already had "A Song For You", "Close To You", "Carpenters", "Now & Then", "The Singles 1969-1973", and "Horizon".

I was disappointed with this album.

After hearing the 1973 version of "Ticket To Ride" first, which I truly loved, I did not like the 1969 version. Although I totally understood that this album was their first album for A&M, I had already heard the best of the best from 1970 to 1974.

Two songs stood out for me on "Ticket To Ride", which I still like!
They are, of course, "All Of My Life" and "Eve". I even like those two songs better now that Richard has 'remixed' them on some of the compilation sets.

The raw sound of this album is appealing and exciting for some, as it is the 'beginning'. But for me, I prefer the more 'polished' sound both instrumentally and vocally.

My feelings on this album have always been a bit mixed. Out of five stars, I have to admit I only gave it a “2”.

From a commercial standpoint, it just doesn’t possess the magical elements that subsequent Carpenters records did. Let’s face it; there aren’t exactly any “hits” on this one. It *is* possible that had the Carpenters nailed their 1973 remix/additional recording rendition of “Ticket to Ride” the first time around, the tune might have charted higher than it did. I never cared much for the overall performance on the original ’69 release and feel Karen’s lead was under par with her overall vocal capacity, even for 1969. The track just sounds like it was recorded very quickly, which it was according to Richard Carpenter. “We started that record in the summer of 1969 and by the end of summer had the whole thing finished!” says Richard. He also goes on to say, “I knew exactly what I wanted the Carpenters first record to sound like, even though that’s no longer where we were at musically”. Had the Carpenters put out an album showcasing who they were at the time, we would have had a different album entirely I believe. It is also possible that they might not have had their upcoming smash hit "Close To You".

The great thing about this album is that you have the exotic time signatures, modulations, all those tightly overdubbed harmonies which were a staple with any Carpenters record and overall fantastic musicianship. On that basis, I would give the album a “5”.

One thing I have always found interesting is that the masters created for this album were recorded on both 4-track and 8-track media. The original fours were the demos cut in Joe Osborn’s studio, then transferred over to 8 tracks at A&M, add the authentic string overdubs, VSO ("Your Wonderful Parade"), the whole deal. The remainder of tracks cut from scratch were done on eight.

This is a great album to sing along with and one I feel was the catalyst for what Richard and Karen Carpenter were about to become. The Carpenters were right where they were supposed to be when they did this one. Thanks to Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss for believing in the brother-sister team and giving them the opportunity to break through in their time. It was a decision that changed the world of popular music forever. -Chris

This album was released in Japan around Karen and Richard came to Japan for the first time for Music Festival in Japan. The title was not "Offering" nor "Ticket To Ride" but "CLOSE TO YOU" with bonus track(?) "Close To You".(LP "Close To You" was released in Japan as "We've Only Just Begun".)

There were songs recorded before 1969(source: Richard's liner notes for 35th box set).
I love this album. I'm glad that they released this album even if Richard thinks "that's no longer where we were at musically". If they recorded what they were at musically, there remained only "Ticket To Ride". I love especially "Someday" and "Eve". On this album we can listen to Richard's vocal and Karen's drums and bass guitar. I love Karen and Richard's young voice and variety in music on this album.

Sakura

I remember in the early days of CDs, seeing a copy of TICKET TO RIDE with the extra "Close To You" track. I didn't buy it - there were other priorities at the time, but I probably should have.

Harry

OFFERING as I may call it as I do have an original copy...I know...show off. Here we have Karen and Richard at creative genius that would propel them to three Grammys. Ya gotta admit, EVE and ALL OF MY LIFE are CarpenterS 1969 signature tunes along with the debut of the much underrated TICKET TO RIDE. I've said it before and once again I'll spout that TICKET was and is music that would penetrate today's sound. Much in the same way K&R blasted into the 70's in the midst of THREE DOG NIGHT and on the heels of Jim Morrison. Give us a soundtrack and a little Universal motivation plus the timeless TIX video and I clearly see a blast from the past.

Keep lookin' to the stars,

Jeff

Funny how this album seemed very "Also-Ran" in quality... The group was rejected by RCA, the only hit that Karen & Richard had so far, was "Ticket To Ride" (remake of a Beatles song, at that) and it was "offered" with two different covers/titles...

Never the less, THIS was the kind of Pop that was evolving and The Carpenters were the first to REALLY eclipse what was once the current trend; it's just that their second LP, Close To You was their real breakthrough. Those who bought that after it came out I think took a "second look" at their first, but I think only those who were real fans gave OFFERING/TICKET TO... a "second wind" and bought it.

Much like how the first Bob Dylan album (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan) never really sold, until he released his second album, Bob Dylan; it was then he became more noticed, and sold more copies of each. That is: "...People were, then, buying his first album, as well...", according to Vicki Wickham, a talent agent/group manager of Patti Labelle & The Bluebells.

A Herb Alpert discovery that snowballed into A&M's most-popular act, groups like The Sandpipers had broken-up and there was stiff competition between those who enjoyed the emerging Hard Rock of the Day and more mellower, gentler sounds, of which The Carpenters really paved the way...

Dave

I gave this record a five rating not because it is the best Carpenters record, not because it is commercially viable but because I LOVE THIS RECORD. I love the unique sound I really love Karens vocals and especially love her drumming on this record. This record is clearly a sixties sounding record but I just like the sounds and experimentation done on this record. When Close To You came out it was a very noticable change its like the Carpenters eveolved overnight and the records only got better for the most part but I still always find myself wanting to listen to Offering and still love the record 35/36years later. :thumbsup: :love: :jester:

Hi! First time poster, long time reader! I was so excited to find this 'corner' of the internet; I've learned a lot - and am really thankful for the dedication of those that brought this wonderful site to life.

Ticket To Ride was the 3rd C's album I purchased. To be honest, even though I was a fan from day 1 - and belonged to the fan club pretty much close to its inception, I do not recall ever hearing about this album.

Being somewhat naive as to how often records were released, I would run to our local record store, every week, to see if there was anything new by the Carpenters. One day, I found Ticket To Ride - and was beside myself with excitement. Of course it would be another week, or 2, before I had enough money to buy it, and in between, I would head back to the store, every few days, to make sure the album was still there - and place it in bins of other artists so that no one else would buy it!

The album didn't compare - as it's been discussed - to Close To You - but it has always remained one of my all-time favorites. I really enjoy "Ticket To Ride", and even though I appreciate the 1973 remix; it's the original version that I remember when I think of the song. Karen's vocals always reminded me of Linda Ronstadt's (and the Stone Poney's) "Different Drum". There was a 'raw' quality to it - a 'newness'; it was pure, and it held so much promise. Obviously I was blown away at how different - certainly better - her vocals were on the very next album.

My most favorite of all tracks is "All Of My Life" - wow. I loved that from day 1, and was thrilled with Richard's remix. To this day, 33 years after I listened to it for the first time, I still get goosebumps.

It was many, many, years later that I got a pretty good copy of the original 'Offering' album - given to me by a very dear friend.

Mike

The big single from this album of course was "Ticket To Ride". I know of two different versions of the single, one having a shortened version of "Your Wonderful Parade" on it. On that one, Richard's opening barker spiel is much shorter than either the other single or the album version. I'm not sure which one came first.

"Don't Be Afraid" appeared as a b-side to other singles, as I recall.

Harry

I remember buying this album for the first time as "Ticket To Ride" at a new and used record shop in Ottawa called 'Legend Records', on LP, and how it sound so beautiful on the record player. A few years (around 2002/2003) later I came across the "Offering" cover for $2 Cdn, and I played it once, and it sounded like I had just purchased it from either a store or A&M Records. I must say that I think the album sounds better on LP than it does on CD. I only bought the CD because I wanted a good digital copy of "Ticket To Ride" (the song). Everytime I play that song on the record, it is still pretty much crystal clear (I don't play the Offering cover, since I want to retain its splendor), although right at the beginning of the song, at the edge of the record, you can hear a few clicks and pops from where the needle has landed and started to play.

Anyway, the reason that I like it on record comes from the sound quality. On CD Karen's voice sounds like it is missing that warmth that so many people clamour to hear, whereas, on LP, she sounds like she is in the room with you. The CD version which I have is from the 30th anniversary remastered collection, and I wish they had issued it with both covers on the inside sleeve. Maybe they could've had the Offering cover on the front, and the Ticket cover facing the disk. Anyway, for the CD it doesn't matter since Karen doesn't have that warmth in her voice, unlike the LP where she does have that warmth. And I wish Richard would release the songs from "Offering/Ticket To Ride" on compilation albums in their original mixes. With Ticket To Ride, I was surprised to discover that in both 1991 and 2002, when "From the Top" and "The Essential Collection" where released, that Richard did not include the album/single version of Ticket, yet he included the original album version of Top of the World.

Trevor Thurlow

Welcome aboard to our newest members, Mike and Trevor!

I enjoyed both posts and find it fascinating how so many here have expressed the personal value this album holds for them. It holds a lot of memories for many, as this was a breakthrough in the history of recorded music. -Chris

Man!! I'm really late on this thread, but had to "offer" my two cents.

My sister received the OFFERING album as a Christmas present somewhat by accident. She had mentioned being fond of a certain group (although I can't remember who). My aunt gave her the OFFERING album thinking it was the group Pam had mentioned. Our family became hooked from the first spin.

Standouts for me would be "Your Wonderful Parade," "Someday," "All Of My Life," "Don't Be Afraid" and "Eve."

I guess I will always consider OFFERING to be a real gem -- the birth of something wonderful, magical and amazing. Indeed, it's simple in comparison to later efforts. Yet, it has a depth of character that few artists achieve their first time around. I mean, just listen to Karen's vocal on "Someday" and you're bitten -- it stays with you. I know it stayed with me. I guess this is where my regard for the album originates: the fact that it is, indeed, original.

I gave it five stars because we were well familiar with The Carpenters by time CLOSE TO YOU was released.

Jon

...better late than never... :wink:

Not sure where to post this because it relates to the first two albums, but in the UK there was a cassette release out in 1970, which was 14 tracks, the full Offering tracklist in its usual order, but bookended with We've Only Just Begun and Close To You. It had a totally different cover and everything, but must have been some kind of attempt to raise the profile of the Offering album.

Stephen

newvillefan wrote:
"in the UK there was a cassette release out in 1970, which was 14 tracks, the full Offering tracklist"

What was the title on the Cassette? Ticket To Ride?

Off the top of my head, I think it was called 'Close To You' - it was a cream colour with pink flowers all over the front. Oh and I think it had 15 tracks, the 13 from Offering plus the other two which had recently been singles. I wish I still had it now!

Stephen

newvillefan said:
Off the top of my head, I think it was called 'Close To You' - it was a cream colour with pink flowers all over the front. Oh and I think it had 15 tracks, the 13 from Offering plus the other two which had recently been singles. I wish I still had it now!

Stephen, is this the cassette you're thinking of?

Ticket-UK.jpg

It has all of the "Offering" tracks with the exception of "Invocation" and "Benediction". For many years, this was the only copy of the "Ticket To Ride" album that I had. When I finally found an original LP, I was surprised that it had the two extra tracks!

Murray

Bingo! Well done Murray it#s a long time since I saw that cover! :tongue:

Looks like I got some of my facts wrong, it didn't include Invocation and Benediction, but well done on finding it despite my duff info!

I also notice now that the picture of them is late 1970s despite this being a 1969/1970 era album, and it was released by EMI not A&M, which might explain the lightly different tracklist choice.

Thanks again

Stephen

I think I recall seeing that cover once in a used record store on an LP. I recall it had a glossy sheen to it and the glue was dried up so it was separating at the seams. Since it was an 'import', I think the store owner wanted too much for it, otherwise I probably would have bought it.

The CD that I recall had the sailboat TICKET TO RIDE cover with either one or two extra tracks - definitely "Close To You" and possibly "We've Only Just Begun". I don;t recall now whether or not it had "Invocation" and "Benediction" - my suspicions are that it did.

Harry

A *** star effort....as a debut, there is a certain sense of adventure: some things click, others don't, but looking back(this was the 2nd Carps album I bought, CTY being the 1st)though time's generous prism, I can hear much of the positive energy and vibes that would inform their best work. Nice start, who knew, had they heard it upon initial release, where it would lead?

:ed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom