The Stampeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
Back in 1971, the Calgary, Alberta Canadian trio The Stampeders released the song "Sweet City Woman" on BELL Records which went to # 8 back on October 23, 1971 & also went to # 5 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Charts. The follow up "Devil You" went to # 61 back in January of 1972. The next singles "Monday Morning Choo Choo" & "Wild Eyes" did not chart. The next single "Oh My Lady" went to # 115 back in April of 1973 on the Billboard Bubbling Under Singles Chart. The group went to Capitol & released "From The Fire" (1973) & "New Day" (1974) but the albums did not chart. The album "Hit The Road" (1976) on Quality/Private Stock did not chart but the song "Hit The Road Jack" (featuring a telephone conversation with the late Wolfman Jack) went to # 40 for 2 weeks back in April of 1976. The album "Sweet City Woman" (known as "Against The Grain") went to # 172 back in November of 1971. Collectibles reissued the CD "Sweet City Woman" back in 1995 with 2 bonus tracks "Devil You" & "Hit The Road Jack" but the CD is no longer made. The albums "Carryin' On" & "Rubes, Dudes & Rowdies" was NOT released on BELL Records. Why did former Bell Records president/manager Larry Uttal decided not to released those albums from 1972?? I bought those CD's at the HMV store in Windsor, Ontario last year when I special order those CD's. The song "Wild Eyes" (from "Carryin' On") is NOT the original version but the remix version from "New Day" from 1974. It is the same on "Greatest Hits" (purple) & "Greatest Hits: Volume 2" (red). When I bought "The Best Of" (Black CD from 2001), it had the original version but it is in MONO. I heard that song back when "The Big 6: 600 WTAC" in Flint, Michigan played that song back in April or May of 1973. The song called "Minstrel Gypsy" reminds me of singer Billy Ray Cyrus. The song "Oh My Lady" reminds me of singer Travis Tritt. The song "Wild Eyes" also reminds me of the group LIT "My Own Worst Enemy" (from the CD "A Place In The Sun") on RCA back in 1999 at the beginning of that song. For more information, go to: www.stampeders.net & http://www.shmooze.net/stampeders Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Wow! That's about Every Stampeders Song I hear on the radio! I'm familiar with every one of them. I thought the Doobie Brothers-esque "Sweet City Woman" actually made it to some of the US radio stations, too.

I like how they did "Hit The Road, Jack" and the Gordon Lightfoot-ish "Minstrel Gypsy".

Dave

That was it on the U.S. Billboard Charts for the Stampeders. The group only released 4 albums here in the U.S. (Sweet City Woman, From The Fire, New Day & Hit The Road). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom