• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Swinger From Rio - 2004 Reissue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

I was browsing through the Brazilian CD section of Tower Records in Yokohama and I found a new 2004 reissue of Sergio Mendes’s “The Swinger From Rio”. It’s a Rhino product that is pressed in Germany and apparently never distributed in the United States. I went to Rhino’s web site and did a quick search for this CD and came up with nothing. Is this strange… or is anyone else familiar with this or other Rhino CD’s distributed only outside the USA?

By the way, the 2004 edition of “The Swinger From Rio” was re-mastered, and to my ears, sounds terrific!

P.S. If Mr. Bill reads this: In Yokohama I’ve compared HMV and Tower Records, and I’d say the hunting is a little better at Tower.

Yokohama Mike said:
P.S. If Mr. Bill reads this: In Yokohama I’ve compared HMV and Tower Records, and I’d say the hunting is a little better at Tower.

Thanks Mike! I'm actually heading out the door here in about 30 minutes, jumping on the Sotetsu line straight for Yokohama! Hopefully you haven't cleared the bins of quality A&M product ahead of me!

--Mr Bill
hoping there's another Bossa Rio on the shelf...

Since Rhino is part of Warner Music Group.there is little wonder why there may be different versions of material available in different countries. SWINGER is available in the US with another Atlantic album,THE BEAT OF BRAZIL. They are distributed by Collectables Records,aka Gotham distribution,aka Nina's. Though I do not have a copy of the two-fer in front of me,the 3 LP on 2 CD Mendes set,IN PERSON AT EL MATADOR,PELE(OST), and SERGIO MENDES' FAVORITE THINGS is another set distributed by Collectables and they clearly state that the album was manufactured by Rhino under license from Atlantic(another Warner held company). Rhino today is just another label under the Warner Strategic Marketing Group,(the original owners run Shout Factory today)which handles things like compilation licensing, soundtracks,As Seen On TV promos,infomercials,Time-Life Music,etc. Also,as good as the Tower stores in Japan may be,remember that none of these stores are affiliated to Tower operations in the US. The 50+ Japan stores were sold in 2002. Evidently,hats off to those that are running them. Mac

jim the 'music-biz mac daddy' said:
...as good as the Tower stores in Japan may be, remember that none of these stores are affiliated to Tower operations in the US. The 50+ Japan stores were sold in 2002. Evidently, hats off to those that are running them.

Indeed! The Tower here in Yokohama actually reminded me of the US Tower of yore! The last time I went into a US Tower (a little over a year ago) it reminded me more of the "low-variety/high-price" mall record shops more than anything.

Here in Japan it was like visiting the old Tower as I remember it in the States in the 80s. Unfortunately the specific items I was looking for were not there (though they had bin dividers for most of them indicating they were simply out of stock).

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom