• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Way Up (Pat Metheny Group)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Just picked up the newest from the Group. I'm in my "winter into spring" listening phase right now, and anything Metheny has been in heavy rotation here. At Borders, they have their 4-for-3 CD deal going on, so in addition to my two Living Stereo SACDs, I grabbed a Kenton reissue and Pat Metheny Group's new recording, The Way Up.

This recording is a bit unusual in that it is actually one continuous piece of music that clocks in at over 68 minutes. Metheny mentions that it is the most challenging work the Group has ever done. I'll vouch for that--at first listen, there is a lot to absorb here. But I've often found that the recordings that take awhile to grow on me often become the ones I grow most fond of.

Missed the tour, though--as usual, poor local promotion meant I didn't hear about the concert until the seats were already just about sold out. On this tour, they play "The Way Up" non-stop all the way through, and the entire band gets a workout. Still, Metheny is onstage playing for well over two hours.

Anyone else grab this one?

I've been hesitant about getting this disc. I've read some rather lukewarm reviews of it. I did get the We Live Here - Live In Japan DVD from the PMG, which is quite good. Is the new CD similar to the As Falls Wichita... album?

Capt. Bacardi

Yes, it's similar to "Wichita Falls", but is almost more like a classical work in structure--recurring themes throughout, in other words, and it is a continuous piece of music. Still haven't absorbed it all yet--friend of mine sent me the vinyl version of Pat's "Secret Story" which I've been playing recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom