• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

the wrecking crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's a great documentary called "the wrecking crew" made in 2008 that still remains unreleased because the royalties are too expensive for the dozens of 60's songs that are used in the soundtrack.

my friend was presented with several copies of it because he sells documentaries, but couldn't sell it. i bring this up here because herb is featured a bit in it. not only him, but larry levine, lou adler, and the late julius wechter, and others.

the wrecking crew was a group of studio musicians (hal blaine, carol kayne, (the late) tommy tedesco (his son is who made the film, as a sort of tribute to his father), glen campbell, and many more) that played on all of herb's records, as well as the beach boys, sonny and cher, the association, the mamas and the papas, the fifth dimension and about a zillion others.

herb tells a great story about how hal blaine came up with that bass drum part in a taste of honey (just to let the musicians know when to come in). larry levine said to keep it on the record. herb says julius' original title for "spanish flea" was "spanish fly." he tells about his early days opening for the dave brubeck quartet. one of the musicians (bill pitman) tells about how herb originally recorded "the lonely bull" on the sly, herb paying the musicians about $15, and once it became a huge hit, confessed to the union, payed the fines for not paying the players scale, and then promptly went around and paid all the musicians what they should have been paid.

wish you guys could see this sometime, it is fascinating. to hear carole kayne talk about how she came up for the bass part in "the beat goes on." nancy sinatra describing how they played on her and her dad's "something stupid." the bass part for "boots". endlessly fascinating.

i've watched it about 8 times.

Any details in the film about that lost Sergio Mendes Christmas album? :D

I've wanted to see that film for a long time. It never played at a convenient time or location for me. I hope they get the rights thing cleared. It'll make a helluve title on DVD.

Harry

walterphil said:
i never got such backlash from one stupid little joke. was enough to keep me away from here for years.

Legendary, I tell ya!

No need to hide - we still like you!

Harry

I don't understand the high cost of using music in a film. It's really ridiculous.

I think the standard question should be: Is the public going to buy this movie specifically to hear the song being featured? If the answer is "No, the song is just a by-product of the events being shown in the film" then the song should be cheap. In other words -- the same people would probably buy a Wrecking Crew documentary even if there was no music in it, but since the music is a necessary part of the story, it should be included.

On the other hand if a film is featuring, let's say, long lost concert footage of the Beatles performing the Monkees greatest hits, then THAT kind of thing would draw people specifically for the purpose of hearing the music. (Even Monkees music.) So in a case like that the music should be higher priced, and rightly so.

I don't know why this kind of thing has to be so complicated. It's no wonder politicians and nations can't get along.

welll yes, well said. and in this case the music is integral. and beautiful. there is a nice section where they show the musicians names with their pictures, over the fifth dimension's "stoned soul picnic." and how could you talk about "a taste of honey" and not play that bass drum part?

I checked out the website this morning, those out-takes are mouthwatering!

I would love to see the whole thing, I love just about anything Wrecking Crew related. Amazing musicians talking about the amazing music they made? Priceless...

Harry said:
walterphil said:
i never got such backlash from one stupid little joke. was enough to keep me away from here for years.

Legendary, I tell ya!

No need to hide - we still like you!

Harry

Aw, c'mon now. You at least got to tell us folks who are out of th eloop what the stupid joke was!?! :)

But I'm pretty confused about this movie being "unreleased", yet "shown in certain theaters", according to your posts...

Could I have missed it because it wasn't playing at my local AMC theater chain?

Dave :confused:

Well not to beat a dead horse, but as someone who was badly stung by a "stupid little joke," I can tell you that even well intentioned "jokes" can have unintended consequences. I was mortified to have bothered my friend, Adolph Green's daughter, about the alleged Styne-Green tune on the "album" and it was an embarrassment to me and an unwanted and unnecessary intrusion into her time that could have been solved easily by a smiley face or some other clue that it was a "joke."

This reminds me of the time PC Computing magazine ran an ad, in their April edition, for an impossibly cheap computer system with every bell and whistle imaginable. They listed a toll-free number which when called, led to a recording of Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller) informing the caller that they'd been "had."

Sounds pretty innocent, but the next month they ran a letter to the editor from some computer buyer from a large company who had put together a huge purchase order based on that ad, and gotten approval for the money, etc. and spent a lot of time on it, only to find out it was a joke.

So PC Computing said they were sorry. Then the next year they ran a similar ad again with even more ridiculous claims.

well i guess that i'd better get to work on my brasil '66 reunion album....it's gonna be great. he's getting the original guys from the very first album, along with karen phillips and....

Mike Blakesley said:
This reminds me of the time PC Computing magazine ran an ad, in their April edition, for an impossibly cheap computer system with every bell and whistle imaginable. They listed a toll-free number which when called, led to a recording of Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller) informing the caller that they'd been "had."

I remember he used to write that column at the back of the magazine. :agree:

Reminds me, Audio magazine used to feature audio equipment by the legendary Lirpa Labs, out of Russia. Funny though that it appeared only in the April issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom