• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Timeless Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Sergio Mendes in will.i.am's corner
By Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith

The Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am said he wanted to bring fresh life into the career of Brazilian music master Sergio Mendes, and is he ever! Not only is their collaboration yielding the forthcoming "Timeless" album - it also has Mendes getting ready to set out on a major world tour in 2006.
Along for the trek will be Mendes' songstress wife Gracinha Leporace, plus some hip-hop and rap talents to perform the striking new renditions of Mendes' favorites found on the Valentine's Day release produced by will.i.am. Of course, there's no telling which superstar pals might stroll onstage at certain engagements. "Timeless" features names including the Black Eyed Peas, Stevie Wonder, Erykah Badu, Justin Timberlake, Jill Scott, India.Arie, Q-Tip and r&b "it" artist John Legend.

Mendes tells us it started with a phone call he got about three years ago from the president of A&M Records, telling him that the leader of the Black Eyed Peas wanted to "come to my house to see me. I said, 'Sure.' He walks in with a bunch of old vinyls of mine - even before 'Brasil '66,' the old Atlantic instrumentals. He said, 'As a kid here in L.A., I discovered your music, and it changed my life.' "

Mendes subsequently guested on the Black Eyed Peas' "Elephunk" album at the invitation of will.i.am. The 30-year-old music whiz kid and the Latin legend, who's roughly twice his age, became friends, and will.i.am signed Mendes to his I.Am.Music talent roster. Next came collaborating on the full album of "hip-hop samba bossa nova urban classico," as will.i.am describes it. It's being released by Concord Records/Starbucks Hear Music.

L.A. Daily News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom