• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TJB dream reunion tour lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeargo

Like probably everybody else here, I'd love to see Herb Alpert reunite the Brass for one last tour (and a new TJB album--as long as we're dreaming...). After all, it's been five or six years since Passion Dance, and maybe Herb's appearance at the Julius tribute last year got him itchin' from a little Spanish flea.

I got to thinking about what a reconstituted TJB might look like. I know that Nick Ceroli and Tonni Kalash are no longer with us, and I understand Bob Edmondson no longer plays (not sure what happened to Lou Pagani and Pat Senatore--anybody know?). The BMB was closer to the Brass in spirit and musicality than any other A&M act, so what about an amalgam of TJB/BMB personnel old and new, like so:

Bob Findley, trumpet
Carmen Fanzone, trumpet
Dave Wells, trombone
Jules Greenberg, marimba & vibes
Dave Frishberg, piano
John Pisano, guitar
Charlie Chiarrenza, mandolin
Harvey Newmark, bass
Frank DeVito, drums

Any preferences for percussionists? Additions, substitutions?... Let the dreaming begin!

Mike

Mike,

Your Herb Alpert/TJB Reunion idea is lovely. The only thing I'd add or say would be that it would be nice to let all of the gentlemen you have listed, agree among themselves, what style of music they'd like to play and let the chips fall. I loved The TJB and BMB as much as anyone but I believe that perhaps it might be a good idea for Herb and these gents pick their style of music, pure jazz perhaps and whatever songs they'd like to perform...perhaps even a lot of songs we've not heard under the TJB/BMB banner. As for Lou Pagani, I understand he passed away a few years ago. And, as for Pat Senatore, he's still performing as a jazz artist, on recordings and live venues with a couple of other gentleman, I believe. As for any substitutes in the TJB get together, if Frank Devito was not available, perhaps Nick Ceroli's protege's, the wonderful and Bob Florence approved, Dick Weller...if Mr. Florence would loan him. And, I just thought of this...how about Pete Jolly on the ivory or something like that.

Happy Listening,

Tom :D

I hate to rain on your parade, but just don't see this happening at all. Randy Alpert mentioned to a couple of us at the post Julius Tribute reception, that he really didn't see Uncle Herb doing any more major tours the way he used to.

Two things to hope for: previously unreleased (live) TJB material to be issued along with Herb's back catalog, which has already been discussed here. And, that if Herb does release a new solo jazz-type project, perhaps he will do another small tour of clubs in the major cities.

Let's keep all our fingers crossed!

Would love to see Herb in whatever format he tours in, in the future. Unfortunately, Detroit never seems to be on the itinerary. :sad: Does not surprise me, though, given the strange musical climate here. But it's not a big deal to drive to Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati or even Toronto, as they're all within about a four hour drive.

If an album and tour aren't in the works, an A&E By Request sure would be a treat...most likely still just a dream, but a nice one...BTW, as far as percussionists go, is Manolo Badrena still playing?

Dan, ever the romantic dreamer...

"By Request" would be the most difficult to pull off--the band would have to know EVERY TJB track ever recorded. Then again, I still believe that those "By Request" shows are heavily screened, and only tunes on a preselected list are allowed to be requested.

Rudy said:
"By Request" would be the most difficult to pull off--the band would have to know EVERY TJB track ever recorded. Then again, I still believe that those "By Request" shows are heavily screened, and only tunes on a preselected list are allowed to be requested.

Yeah, I saw the show with Chicago (which was excellent, BTW) and one phone request wanted them to do the whole "Ballet For A Girl In Buchanan", which featured "Make Me Smile" and "Color My World". The band members just looked at each other as if saying "You've got to be kidding". They ended up just doing "Make Me Smile".

Dan Bolton said:
Is Manolo Badrena still playing?

Yup, Manolo is still banging away. He was with Spyro Gyra recently.

Capt. Bacardi

Tom said:
Mike,

Your Herb Alpert/TJB Reunion idea is lovely. The only thing I'd add or say would be that it would be nice to let all of the gentlemen you have listed, agree among themselves, what style of music they'd like to play and let the chips fall. I loved The TJB and BMB as much as anyone but I believe that perhaps it might be a good idea for Herb and these gents pick their style of music, pure jazz perhaps and whatever songs they'd like to perform...perhaps even a lot of songs we've not heard under the TJB/BMB banner. As for Lou Pagani, I understand he passed away a few years ago. And, as for Pat Senatore, he's still performing as a jazz artist, on recordings and live venues with a couple of other gentleman, I believe. As for any substitutes in the TJB get together, if Frank Devito was not available, perhaps Nick Ceroli's protege's, the wonderful and Bob Florence approved, Dick Weller...if Mr. Florence would loan him. And, I just thought of this...how about Pete Jolly on the ivory or something like that.

Happy Listening,

Tom :D
:?:

hI!

A TJB reunion is surely a good idea but without the originals members, it is not a real TJB reunion ? What about a Beatles reunion without John and George ? And I think Herb's music is so far from what were the TJB ? His last album "Colors" (is this the real last album he made?) is something completly different with the up-to-date sound (a little bit of trip hop).

I personnaly would prefer a new Herb Alpert tour or a new album with some tunes he made with TJB but with new orchestration.

By the way, I hope my english id not to bad because it is not language I use ordinarely.

Yvon

Yvon said:
By the way, I hope my english id not to bad because it is not language I use ordinarely.

Yvon

Hi Yvon, welcome to the Corner Forum. I'm certain that your English is WAY better than my French! The extent of my French is eating French fries or French toast!

I think most of us would be happy if Herb cranked out another album along the lines of Fandango or even Passion Dance. He seems to excel in the Latin genre.

Harry
...thinking 'genre' might even be a French word!, online...

It's been almost 4 years since a new Herb album was released. I hope something comes out this year.
To the question about additional percussionists for the 'dream tour,' don't forget Hal Blaine.
JB

I'm almost sure Hal Blaine would play. I've talked about this before. I think it would be cool for the remaining BMB & TJB players just to record what they want to play. But never the less, Mr. Herb just needs to record...record...record. After a master is done, Disc Makers will print up !,000 CDs in full-color jackets for about $1,800.00 bucks. Everyone on this site will buy at least one. :wink: Later amigos...Jay

How about the BMB as an opening act for Herb. If you really wanted a blockbuster, have Sergio Mendez and Brazil '03 in between, and an encore with members of all three.

Original members are great, but there's been a lot of water under the bridge...not too many of those cats still out there playing. Some new sidemen would be a treat, and would keep the sound alive in the future.

I feel that the biggest motivator would be "will Herb have fun doing it?"
If yes, it might be a go! :wink:

I guess someone someone who knows Mr. Alpert, such as his nephew, Randy Badazz would of course know his uncle's plans for the future, musical or otherwise. However, if I had to pick a choice reunion line-up for The Tijuana Brass (and I'd love to see it happen), I'd want to see the four surviving original members, along with some other musicians Alpert has worked with. Preferbly, here who I'd like to see performing and perhaps recording a new album under the TJB's name:
HERB ALPERT-trumpet
BOB EDMONDSON-trombone
JOHN PISANO-guitar
PAT SENATORE-bass
With:
Bernie Fleischer on marimbas and Hal Blaine/Stephen Schaeffer on drums.

Kind of TJB and specials guests thing, like what Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz did last year (even though all 4 Monkees are still alive.) I've always admired Herb Alpert's desire to continuously sound contemporary with his music and I hope, if any future musical release comes out, that he can still do that. I think though, that a TJB reunion could be just nostalgic fun, and certainly bring back memories for all those who saw the original group live in concert back in the Sixties, plus it would also give the second-generation fan like me a chance to hear what they sound like live (even though, half of the original line-up has crossed over to the other side.)

-alpertfan ...daydreaming online on a rainy day. :laugh:

alpertfan said:
Preferbly, here who I'd like to see performing and perhaps recording a new album under the TJB's name:
HERB ALPERT-trumpet
BOB EDMONDSON-trombone
JOHN PISANO-guitar
PAT SENATORE-bass

Bob Edmondson may still be alive, but he no longer plays.

alpertfan said:
I think though, that a TJB reunion could be just nostalgic fun,

And that's why it will never happen. Herb doesn't like living in the past. He likes to keep moving forward. So you'll just have to get used to playing the albums and looking at the old videos.

Capt. Bacardi

alpertfan said:
I guess someone someone who knows Mr. Alpert, such as his nephew, Randy Badazz would of course know his uncle's plans for the future, musical or otherwise. However, if I had to pick a choice reunion line-up for The Tijuana Brass (and I'd love to see it happen), I'd want to see the four surviving original members, along with some other musicians Alpert has worked with. Preferbly, here who I'd like to see performing and perhaps recording a new album under the TJB's name:
HERB ALPERT-trumpet
BOB EDMONDSON-trombone
JOHN PISANO-guitar
PAT SENATORE-bass
With:
Bernie Fleischer on marimbas and Hal Blaine/Stephen Schaeffer on drums.

Kind of TJB and specials guests thing, like what Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz did last year (even though all 4 Monkees are still alive.) I've always admired Herb Alpert's desire to continuously sound contemporary with his music and I hope, if any future musical release comes out, that he can still do that. I think though, that a TJB reunion could be just nostalgic fun, and certainly bring back memories for all those who saw the original group live in concert back in the Sixties, plus it would also give the second-generation fan like me a chance to hear what they sound like live (even though, half of the original line-up has crossed over to the other side.)

-alpertfan ...daydreaming online on a rainy day. :laugh:

Bernie Fleischer plays the flute on the BMB recordings...unless he's been moonlighting, like everybody in that group almost did on the NATURALLY back cover... :laugh:

Dan

Captain Bacardi said:
And that's why it will never happen. Herb doesn't like living in the past. He likes to keep moving forward. So you'll just have to get used to playing the albums and looking at the old videos.

Don't forget, I did say we were just dreaming, here! So I'm dreaming that Herb might like to have a little nostalgic fun, himself....

Not to mention that I think he could make a lotta dough from a limited reunion tour (maybe not so much from an album). Our culture is steeped in nostalgia--just take a look at how busy eBay is. Songs like "Spanish Flea," "The Lonely Bull" and "A Taste of Honey" are deeply ingrained in pop culture. I think lots of folks, young and old, may recognize those tunes while having no idea who made them famous, but would pay hefty ticket prices to see the original act.

Still dreamin'...
Mike

DAN BOLTON said:
If an album and tour aren't in the works, an A&E By Request sure would be a treat...most likely still just a dream, but a nice one...
For that matter, there are LOTS of non-tour concerts that get made for TV. Besides begathon fodder :) on PBS (plus I think some that indivudal public stations use that might not be distributed by PBS itself?), there's stuff on A&E, Bravo, VH1, etc.

It may be especially viable (beyond public TV) if it's charity-tied.

Gosh, there's even "hidden" live performances. I bet you A&E's "Breakfast With The Arts" on Sunday morning doesn't get categorized as a concert broadcast, but that's exactly what the first hour of it usually is (tho usually classical), and subsets of the second hour may be too (tho in that case only what they can fit in studio). I don't mean that this specific show would be the right venue for a TJB reunion, but I just mention that as an example of how "hidden" concerts on TV can sometimes be.

I dunno - I would be a little skeptical about how successful a reunion concept would be....

It seems like you need to be promoting some kind of current recording and getting current radio airplay....

And from some things I have read recently, it seems like the cost of touring is almost prohibitive....unless you are the Rolling Stones, or something similar....

Also, as some one pointed out above, there isn't much of a reunion without having those who were a part of the original to "reunite"....

With all that said - I'd say that Pat Senatore, Herb, Bob Edmondson, John Pisano, and perhaps someone like Hal Blaine as drummer would be needed to recapture the "old" sound as much as possible, especially for those of us who "grew up" on the original group and have come to identify the sound with those players. There you would have as close to the original rythym section as possible, since Hal is credited with playing on some of the earlier recordings before Nick Ceroli, and he has the length of experience to have a good feel for the sound and style.
I think that many of the better studio trumpet players and pianists could handle the duties of Tonni Kalash and Lou Pagani probably quite well. Especially since we are certain that Herb played all the recorded trumpet parts anyway....there are some excellent trumpet "pros" out there today who could sit in on this gig quite well.
Pat Senatore and John Pisano are absolutely necessary - as the foundation of the rythym section. With Hal Blaine, I think they could pull off a very convincing original sound.....

It's a fun thing to speculate about... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom