• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TJB's "3rd Trumpeter" Named!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I recently received a video of an old Andy Williams show that featured Herb & the Brass that included the "other trumpeter" that briefly replaced Tonni Kalash. Herb introduced him as Art Bushagen. I'm not sure if this is the correct spelling, but it's pronounced boo-SHAY-gun. So I guess it wasn't Ollie Mitchell after all. Even Randy Alpert was incorrect on this one.

Another mystery solved. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...old dog learning new tricks, online... :D

Well, I'm an Andy Williams fan; I sure would love to see tapes of his show...!!

I never really knew about a "3rd Trumpeter"; only that Ollie Mitchell, according to some sources I've read about "replicated" Herb's parts... :?:

Dave

I was never convinced that was Ollie Mitchell. For one thing, the guy with Herb Alpert on the cover of the trumpet book Know Before You Blow I thought was Ollie Mitchell. If so, he looks nothing like that guy that was on the first Hollywood Palace appearance or Andy Williams. Also, I saw a picture of Ollie Mitchell playing trumpet in Hawaii about 10 years ago and he looks more like the guy on the cover of Know Before You Blow than the mystery trumpet player. Ollie Mitchell's hair is ligher for one thing. Good work Captain! I hope Randy isn't wrong about the remastered TJB cds.

Good to have a name to go along with the face. I didn't think it was Ollie either based on that same "Know Before You Blow" picture. Capt., what songs did they play and did they actually play or was it pantomimed? Also, do you think the source you got this show from would make copies for the Cornerites? I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable fee.

David,
hoping more 60's show footage emerges........

thetijuanataxi said:
Capt., what songs did they play and did they actually play or was it pantomimed?

These were actually performed. They played:

The Lonely Bull
A Taste Of Honey
Tijuana Taxi
Hello, Dolly!

Andy did the taxi horn with the guys on "Tijuana Taxi" (obviously) and played cymbals on "Hello, Dolly!".

Capt. Bacardi

How's the quality on the Andy Williams tape? I have that somewhere but I seem to remember it was pretty poor quality, even by tape trading standards which is usually for hard core fans only.

kenny said:
How's the quality on the Andy Williams tape?

Considering it's almost 40-years old, it's pretty good! It was cleaned up through a computer and put on DVD for me. It's only the TJB spot, not the whole show. The audio & video are a little out-of-sync, but since I'd never seen this before I could care less! :D

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom