Tony Peluso Guitar Tones

Jack A.

So, after playing with my guitar and teaching myself the solo on "Something In Your Eyes," it got me wondering – exactly what pedals/effects did Tony Peluso use to achieve his distinctive tone? I'm talking specifically about the more "country" sounding tone, present on songs like SIYE. There are still hints of it on his fuzz solos, like on "Goodbye to Love," but that sounds like a fuzz pedal being used over some other tone. The fuzz to me just sounds like an extra effect.

Was curious if anyone else knew anything about this. Thanks in advance!

So, after playing with my guitar and teaching myself the solo on "Something In Your Eyes," it got me wondering – exactly what pedals/effects did Tony Peluso use to achieve his distinctive tone? I'm talking specifically about the more "country" sounding tone, present on songs like SIYE. There are still hints of it on his fuzz solos, like on "Goodbye to Love," but that sounds like a fuzz pedal being used over some other tone. The fuzz to me just sounds like an extra effect.

Tony often used the Electro-Harmonix “Big Muff” fuzz box while playing a Gibson 6-string electric with open F tuning.

I believe Tony mostly plugged in directly to the board which of course sounds different than micing an amplifier. At least in the studio. I seem to recall a guitar article.

I believe Tony mostly plugged in directly to the board which of course sounds different than micing an amplifier. At least in the studio. I seem to recall a guitar article.
That’s right. Even when he utilized a pedal he would run directly from the device into the recording console.

Good luck on that. I wish you can share some of your works.

I am in the minority. I've tried to figure out why Goodbye To Love, Calling Occupants, I just Fall In Love Again, amongst others, are not on my favorites list. It's Tony's guitar blitzes. I was able to edit him out of I Just Fall In Love Again, though lacking a bridge.

I am in the minority. I've tried to figure out why Goodbye To Love, Calling Occupants, I just Fall In Love Again, amongst others, are not on my favorites list. It's Tony's guitar blitzes. I was able to edit him out of I Just Fall In Love Again, though lacking a bridge.

I promise I don't mean to be a jerk but I've got to be honest here. This basically just takes out what little edge this arrangement has and knocks it out of balance. While I've never been a fan of elevator fare like this (this song in particular gives into all of Richard's worst impulses), the bridge is needed for the song to make musical sense. Taking it out makes no musical sense IMHO.

Ed

I promise I don't mean to be a jerk but I've got to be honest here. This basically just takes out what little edge this arrangement has and knocks it out of balance. While I've never been a fan of elevator fare like this (this song in particular gives into all of Richard's worst impulses), the bridge is needed for the song to make musical sense. Taking it out makes no musical sense IMHO.

I’m with Ed on this one. It’s a clever edit but takes all the edge out of the song. The guitar solo and the way the key changes as it builds to its final chorus is the most triumphant part of the entire song.

That's a fantastic solo to learn! Tony Peluso's distinctive country tone is quite intriguing.

For "Something In Your Eyes," it seems he had a unique setup to achieve that specific sound. It might involve a combination of compression, reverb, and possibly some chorus to get that distinct country flavor. Experimenting with these effects on your pedalboard might help you capture a similar tone.

As for the fuzz solos, it does seem like an additional layer enhancing his overall sound. It's always fun to explore and tweak settings to discover your own take on these tones.

Back
Top Bottom