Ranked: Tony Peluso Electric Guitar Solos

Kyle Thomas

Wondering how others might rank these...

Here are my picks for Tony Peluso's best guitar solos:

10. You
A great song, but probably my least favorite of the Peluso guitar solos. It's fine. It sounds good. There's just nothing about it that stands out or feels 'make-or-break' like some of the others.

9. Only Yesterday
I rank this here just because of how brief it is, but since "Only Yesterday" is probably my second-favorite Carpenters song, I could see myself moving it higher.

8. Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night
I've always loved this song, and the electric guitar portion -- while not adding much from an emotional standpoint -- is well done (I especially like the sound of the guitar with the tambourine behind it, and its echo).

7. Da Doo Ron Ron
The outro with Peluso's guitar is worth listening to a few times to see how brilliant and underrated it is. It ups the energy considerably, and it goes on longer than you think.

6. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
There's something about the entire orchestra here and the moment when, in such a weird song, Peluso's electric guitar comes screaming into the mix, following the melodic line of the chorus, before fading out perfectly for Karen to come in and finish the song.

5. Where Do I Go from Here?
Another example of the guitar solo taking a song to another level emotionally. It takes the frailty and vulnerability of Karen's lead, with the orchestration, and then adds the element of desperation and grittiness.

4. Love Me for What I Am
There's distortion on this song, but once again, there's real power in the melody that begins with the quietness of Karen's voice, before building to this emotional climax.

3. Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again
I really love the guitar solo in 'Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again' also. It just kicks that song into a gear that moves from sadness to desperation/anger. Doubled in the second half. Amazing. I went back and forth between making this my #2 pick.

2. I Just Fall in Love Again
I love the moment when the screaming guitar solo pierces through the aura of this heavily orchestrated song -- from the quiet beginning to the emotional climax.

1. Goodbye to Love
The obvious pick. It's legendary. Would anyone have a different #1?

10. You
A great song, but probably my least favorite of the Peluso guitar solos. It's fine. It sounds good. There's just nothing about it that stands out or feels 'make-or-break' like some of the others.

9. Only Yesterday
I rank this here just because of how brief it is, but since "Only Yesterday" is probably my second-favorite Carpenters song, I could see myself moving it higher.

I've always loved this song, and the electric guitar portion -- while not adding much from an emotional standpoint -- is well done (I especially like the sound of the guitar with the tambourine behind it, and its echo).

7. Da Doo Ron Ron
The outro with Peluso's guitar is worth listening to a few times to see how brilliant and underrated it is. It ups the energy considerably, and it goes on longer than you think.

There's something about the entire orchestra here and the moment when, in such a weird song, Peluso's electric guitar comes screaming into the mix, following the melodic line of the chorus, before fading out perfectly for Karen to come in and finish the song.

Another example of the guitar solo taking a song to another level emotionally. It takes the frailty and vulnerability of Karen's lead, with the orchestration, and then adds the element of desperation and grittiness.

4. Love Me for What I Am
There's distortion on this song, but once again, there's real power in the melody that begins with the quietness of Karen's voice, before building to this emotional climax.

I really love the guitar solo in 'Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again' also. It just kicks that song into a gear that moves from sadness to desperation/anger. Doubled in the second half. Amazing. I went back and forth between making this my #2 pick.

I love the moment when the screaming guitar solo pierces through the aura of this heavily orchestrated song -- from the quiet beginning to the emotional climax.

1. Goodbye to Love
I agree with pretty much all of this!

10. You

9. Only Yesterday

7. Da Doo Ron Ron

4. Love Me for What I Am

1. Goodbye to Love
“Tryin’” was actually played by guitarist Tim May.

The final minute of Please Mr. Postman would surely qualify as one of Tony's best along with Karen on the drums!

At 2.14 in Postman, in addition to the tom-tom drum fill, there’s also a superb snare drum cadence (recorded separately) which wouldn’t have been out of place on ‘Your Wonderful Parade.’ To hear it, check out the remix on ‘Gold’, as it’s barely even audible on the album mix.

"I'm Still Not Over You" is probably my favorite on the Time album. The way it concludes with the "I...still...love...you...ahhh" really brings it into the stratosphere.

Great minds, that’s my favourite too for the same reason. I know this is over-analysing things because it’s actually a sad love song, but when I first discovered it, I was convinced it was about Karen, frozen in time at the age of 32 and Richard’s feelings looking over old footage of them both. On this line…

Haven't seen you for a while
Father Time must be a friend of yours

…and actually the entire chorus:

Just when I thought I was doin' alright
Sleepin' away almost half of the night
Now who…who was the last one I needed to see
Just when I had most of my broken heart
Put back together to make a new start
Now I have to forget startin' over
I'm still not over you”

I still think of her now every time I hear the song.

Those were exactly my thoughts.
My favourite, too. With Karen's lead it could have been a hit, I reckon.

I often wonder when exactly it was written....before her death ala "In love alone", or after. If it was after I can't see how Bettis couldn't have been thinking of her when he wrote the lyrics.

Hey Kyle

Brilliant topic - thanks for posting and for highlighting Tony!

As a guitarist, I have to say that I love this guy. Sure, he mainly went down the “fuzz-goodbye-to-love” route, however I suspect that our Producer may have called that! Personally I love “Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night”. I like the way he switches between four different tonal settings. “Where Do I Go From Here” is also spine-tingling. But to be honest, I could listen to anything he played all day.

This one is my favourite. It sounds so pretty.

I’m wondering if some of those other solos were really Tim May instead of Tony Peluso too. Trying is but others may be too.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom