'Voice Of The Heart' versus 'Lovelines'

Voice of the Heart is appropriately downbeat, reflective and beautiful. Lovelines sounds very contemporary and how they could have done just about any genre well. And like many others, I just can't get enough of Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night,
Frankly, I can't imagine him completing VOTH as quickly as he did after Karen's passing. I'm sure work helped him deal with the grief, but...it was still unexpected, and that makes shock as bad a thing to deal with as grief. By the time he does "Lovelines" he has a good amount of perspective and no need to rush.

Frankly, I can't imagine him completing VOTH as quickly as he did after Karen's passing. I'm sure work helped him deal with the grief, but...it was still unexpected, and that makes shock as bad a thing to deal with as grief. By the time he does "Lovelines" he has a good amount of perspective and no need to rush.
He was also operating under the impression that A&M wanted a summer '83 release and not the October release it finally received.

He was also operating under the impression that A&M wanted a summer '83 release and not the October release it finally received.

Do we know why it was pushed back to October? I find myself imagining the label hearing the album and thinking a summer release was completely inappropriate.

I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum, that it was delayed because A&M didn't want to appear to be capitalizing on her recent passing.

I read somewhere, perhaps on this forum, that it was delayed because A&M didn't want to appear to be capitalizing on her recent passing.
You remember well.
It was billboard article Nov 19, 1983
It says Carpenter completed the work in May 1983 but was held up 5 months by Jerry Moss and Jerry Weintraub. Paul Grein who wrote the article says that the likely reasoning was that they didn’t want to capitalize on Karen’s death by releasing an album of mostly sad and sentimental ballads so soon afterwards.

I for one Love The Lovelines album it took a few years after its release for me to be able to afford a copy but oh my I realized what I was missing my favorite standouts were and Are still " Lovelines" " If We Try" Kiss me the way you did last night". You're the one. And Honolulu City Lights ( the latter made me Homesick for my Childhood home region even though I've never been to Hawaii the music of the Carpenters was played constantly by my Dear Mother and it always felt like Home) it all flowed together Beautifully. And I'm so glad I still have all my Carpenters CDs and Downloads there's always something to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom