Top Of The World (mono mix)

To be clear, musically, they are the same two chords, however, in the mono mix, the instruments are mixed differently. Thus, the mono promo is a dedicated mix made especially for mono.

I was just listening again to the mono mix of "Top Of The World" (see page 1 of this thread). It's always fun to hear these things in different ways.

I wish Richard would consider releasing a CD Mono Set of all there singles transferred from vinyl for a CD collection. I would imagine he has all the mono 45's in pristine condition on his bookshelf with all his other records. Right? If not we can surely help him along.

I wonder if the thought ever crossed his mind. I'd love a set like this. They could even design the CD's so they look like ridges from black vinyl to replicate the single 45 mono's. The insert jacket could even picture every single mono original label with written commentary from Richard.

In the words of Cliff..."Dreamin' this into my life"

I was intrigued by this conversation that I had not seen before and got out my box of singles to see what I have in mono. All promo copies of course.
Ticket/ You’re Wonderful Parade, WOJB/FAWN, I don’t have SS or RDAM. IGTTST, GTL, YOM, TOTW, SantaCICTT, IWLADWY, PMP, OY, Solitaire, TAKOH, Goofus, AYGFL, SSS, IBY, TMWWD, WYBIMLA, TGOD, B-45789. MCD stereo,is backed with Mr. Guder in stereo. Calling Occupants edit/album stereo. All promo cuts from VOTH are in stereo. I’m assuming all the others before 1981 have stereo/mono sides too. Promo singles only. I’m obviously missing Superstar and RDAM, HEO,INTBIL Christmas Song promo is stereo. All backed with MCD. Way enough mono cuts to make a 2 cd set!!!!!
Bring it on please.

Some more mono mixes

Hurting Each Other

Only Yesterday

There's A Kind Of Hush

I Won't Last A Day Without You
The Carpenters I Won't Last A Day Without You promo 45 rpm mono mix

I'm sure I heard in an interview that Richard specially mixed their singles in mono for AM radio. It would be nice to get all these mono mixes officially released. Maybe, like many artists do, as bonus tracks on their respective albums (and add some other unreleased tracks and rarities, interviews, jingles ect for each album!)

See this article:

I was intrigued by this conversation that I had not seen before and got out my box of singles to see what I have in mono. All promo copies of course.
Ticket/ You’re Wonderful Parade, WOJB/FAWN, I don’t have SS or RDAM. IGTTST, GTL, YOM, TOTW, SantaCICTT, IWLADWY, PMP, OY, Solitaire, TAKOH, Goofus, AYGFL, SSS, IBY, TMWWD, WYBIMLA, TGOD, B-45789. MCD stereo,is backed with Mr. Guder in stereo. Calling Occupants edit/album stereo. All promo cuts from VOTH are in stereo. I’m assuming all the others before 1981 have stereo/mono sides too. Promo singles only. I’m obviously missing Superstar and RDAM, HEO,INTBIL Christmas Song promo is stereo. All backed with MCD. Way enough mono cuts to make a 2 cd set!!!!!
Bring it on please.
As far as I am aware, Canada is the only country to receive a mono mix of the edited version of “Calling Occupants”. It was issued as a promo by A&M Canada, And seems to be quite scarce. The only copy that I ever came across I have in my collection, and I have not seen another since. The US seems to have received a CSG (or CGS?) version. Not to sure why Canada got a mono mix and the US didn’t. It could be that the CRTC has put a ban on CSG by the time Occupants came out and A&M Canada did their own mono fold down of the stereo version.

Don’t you think these mono mixes that Richard worked on were archived with such titles and preserved on master tapes much like all the their songs at the time? Or would these not have been kept by Richard back then and simply discarded or written over.

If a collection like this were to be released would the singles be taken from the archived mono master tapes or literally from acetate or a best available 45 rpm.

Good question for Chris May to ask Richard. They were probably lost in the great fire. 45’s and acetates may be the only source now. Back To Mono, like Phil Spector and a few others have done.

For the tracks that were just fold downs, they could use the existing stereo masters and with software just export a mono track as there would be no additional parts for a separate mix.

For the tracks that were just fold downs, they could use the existing stereo masters and with software just export a mono track as there would be no additional parts for a separate mix.

Not sure if that would play back the same as true mono or not.

Harry?

They were fold downs because it just wasn't that important anymore to create dedicated mono mixes. AM radio was beginning its switch to largely talk and sports formats, while most music was played in stereo on FM. A proper folddown would at least not sound horrible on AM, so they continued for a time just folding down the stereo and slapping it on the b-sides of the promo singles.

Even that practice stopped in the 80s and promo singles had the same stereo song on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom