• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Tropicalismo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
I just found some rather strange comments in another thread about Edu Lobo starting the Tropicalismo (Tropicalia) movement. That's simply not the case--Edu was always pretty firmly in the Bossa camp, especially circa 1967 when Tropicalismo started. It is Gilberto Gil and Caetano Veloso who are always credited as being the founders of this movement, specifically during the 1967 international song festival, which was televised and was a huge national event in Brazil. The movement also had significant contributions from Chico Buarque, Os Mutantes and Gal Costa. It was Gil and Caetano who released the album most associated with the movement, "Tropicalia," in 1968. Edu was certainly an experimenter and incorporated a lot of influences in his work, as did the Tropicalists, and while he did hint at some social protest issues in his songs (notably, Upa, Neguinho!), he wasn't known for the virulent protest stances of Gil, Veloso and Buarque.

Jeff, you're correct in reference to the founders and leaders of the movement. I stand corrected (even though I didn't start the thread...Dave did...I am going on what actual Brazilians have told me in regard to this subject...) in that "Tropicalismo" did not begin with Lobo. I was speaking from a Mendes angle, in that I do not believe that Sergio began incorporating protest songs out of "protest" so much as for musical value.

However, ask any Brazilian and they'll tell you that although Edu Lobo was, indeed, known as a Bossa player, he was also known to have incorporated many protest values into his songs (as you said). He is, however, known as having a part in the movement -- right along with Gal Costa, Chico Buarque, etc. -- at least from the angle of the Brazilians. :)

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom