• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Variety Article on Jerry Moss' "Cult" Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

Contributor
There was a really weird little sidebar in the latest issue of "V Life", which is a bimonthly sister magazine to Daily Variety. There's evidently a new "religion" in LA which in the article is disparagingly compared with Scientology (big name celebs, supposedly high-tech gadgets to get rid of your hangups, etc.). It's called Energetic Matrix Church of Consciousness (EMC2) and its website features testimonials by various celebs, including, according to the article, Jerry Moss. However, when you get there, there are actually testimonials by Lani, Herb and Burt Bacharach, too! The website had frames, hopefully this link will work:

http://www.pathtoconsciousness.com/

The only path to consciousness I ever had was the feeble attempts to stay conscious after about 7 or 8 bottles of Labatt's and several Southern (Dis)Comfort chasers. :laugh:

Is this actually a cultish type of religion, or just a self-help type of book that has taken on a lifestyle of its own?

According to the article, it's an actual church, with a building, etc. I think the book was written by one of the church's founders. The article implies that Moss is a member of the church, but maybe that's not the case.

There are a few copies of "Sanctuary" at WesConn's bookstore. I was also surprised to see the Alperts' names in there, as well as Jerry Moss. :wtf:

Jesus and Moses, Mohammed, and Sri Krishna
Steiner, Gurdjief, Blavatsky, and Bhudda
Guru Maharaji, Reverend Sun Myung Moon

Will the real God please stand up?

-Todd Rundgren- "Eastern Intrigue" 1975

Consciousness is highly overrated! :laugh:

Rudy said:
The only path to consciousness I ever had was the feeble attempts to stay conscious after about 7 or 8 bottles of Labatt's and several Southern (Dis)Comfort chasers.

Neil, are you sure you're not Canadian? :wink:

Murray :cheers:

I think that this will show us that one can be very talented and gifted and still not be very bright. Later.........Jay :cheers:

Tenets of The Energetic Matrix Church of Consciousness

All Religions Are True
All religions are true. This is not to say that all religions are the One Truth. Instead, all religions are valid descriptions of the path which the ministry of EMC2 also describes: That what we perceive as reality is an illusion, in that we are capable of perceiving and understanding only a small fraction of any reality. This vision and knowledge is called "consciousness." Our path and purpose is to expand that consciousness, which is the ability to perceive and know reality. Further, total consciousness is absolute energy and is a description of divinity by whatever name it is called. Our path is to achieve that consciousness/divinity to the greatest extent possible.
I guess a Sunni Muslim and a Methodist are the same...Jay

Reincarnation
Our Energetic MatrixSM is eternal and it manifests repeatedly in our past and future lives

Photographs connect directly to and from the person or thing photographed
We believe in a hologram effect, in that a photograph contains the complete subtle-energy information about the individual(s) depicted and can be used to transmit or receive that energy.

COURTENEY COX JOINS WEIRD CHURCH
http://www.starmagazine.com/stories/feature.cfm?instanceid=37364

From “The Real Cheese”
http://ourworld.cs.com/willischeese/id29.htm?f=fs
Friends star Courtney Cox has reportedly joined a bizarre church, which cleanses its members' souls - by taking their photographs. The anorexic looking actress is paying $9,600 a session to achieve "energetic balancing" by storing her picture in a special machine at the Energetic Matrix Church of Consciousness - led by religious guru Stephen "Max" Lewis. Courteney says, "I've have worked with Max for over three years. I don't know what I would do without him. " The machine works by having a photograph placed inside it and Lewis claims, when the converts' energies are balanced, "the consciousness of the individual increases, so they can fulfill their true purpose." I guess Courtneys true purpose is to land a role playing a toothpick.

This actually goes back a few years to when Lani was having back problems. She had been to countless doctors, was in constant pain and anticipated an operation to repair her back. Herb heard about this man from a friend and took a skeptical Lani to see him. He does something by looking at your picture and sends "energy" your way. Anyway, Lani, although skeptical, visited the man, returned home in major pain, retired to bed and awoke to find her pain gone. This is where her endorsment, as well as that of Herb, come into the picture. Her operations were cancelled and she's been pain-free ever since. Interesting to say the least.

Jon

Placebo effect? Hey, I could do the same thing really...I just need my super duper ultra mystic camera. :D

Rudy said:
Placebo effect? Hey, I could do the same thing really...I just need my super duper ultra mystic camera. :D

I've got one of those "Super D.U.M." cameras, and will be putting it on eBay. Bidding will start at $10,000. :wink:

Murray
...film and batteries sold separately... :D

All I can say is "weird-o-rama... :tongue:

Solving major health and physical problems with a photograph??? :rolleyes:

I wish I could think of things like this to get some easy money... :wink:

Captaindave said:
All I can say is "weird-o-rama... :tongue:

Solving major health and physical problems with a photograph??? :rolleyes:

I wish I could think of things like this to get some easy money... :wink:

Hey, there is actually a company out there that's selling wooden volume control knobs for your high-end audio equipment. They're said to reduce minute vibrations. Cost: $500 each. Yep, per knob.

P.T. Barnum had a valid point. :laugh:

brasil_nut said:
This actually goes back a few years to when Lani was having back problems. She had been to countless doctors, was in constant pain and anticipated an operation to repair her back. Herb heard about this man from a friend and took a skeptical Lani to see him. He does something by looking at your picture and sends "energy" your way. Anyway, Lani, although skeptical, visited the man, returned home in major pain, retired to bed and awoke to find her pain gone. This is where her endorsment, as well as that of Herb, come into the picture. Her operations were cancelled and she's been pain-free ever since. Interesting to say the least.

Jon

Could be coincidence, or it coud be that she just "let go of the pain"...sometimes we have a tendency to "make ourselves sick" by being tense, by worrying about something else, or by just being overwhelmed by the pain itself...and if she was able to relax and put it out of her mind, maybe she healed herself.

If something is chronic, and the doctors can't find anything wrong, maybe there's a psychological reason for the discomfort. And, if going to such lengths as having a holographic image of yourself made causes you to subconsciously say that you've had enough trouble and it's time to get "well"...any doctor will tell you that you've made a big step toward curing the problem.

The treatment may have worked for her...but most likely not in the way that the people behind it would have her to believe. The important thing is that she's feeling better.

Dan

Whether the healing was of Lani's doing or not, like Dan, I'm glad she's feeling better. Rumor has it that she was getting around with a cane, the pain was so intense she would often just stay in bed. She was also quoted as saying that it did little to boost her spirit and/or mood. From what I read, she was less than thrilled when Herb introduced her to the process. However, as Lani says, "If you have an open mind..." And, as Dan said, mind-over-matter may have more to do with this than we know.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom