• "AVE MARIA"

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
This week's "album-of-the-week" is: "Christmas Portrait", Side 2. Please vote for your favorite song from the second side of this classic album and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

christmasportrait.jpg
All images provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

This was tough!!!!

I finally chose "First snowfall/Let it snow" because it's really special for me. But Merry Christmas Darling, Ave María & I'll be home for Christmas are in the same level!!!

Regards

Jorge

"Folks put runners on their surreys and forget about their worries..."

That is my favorite line on the whole album. I picked "The First Snowfall"/"Let It Snow". Second would be "Ave Maria". -Chris

I Love MCD but I also love "Let it Snow", especially when Karen sings, "But if you'd really hold 'me' tight..."
Chills...

This is much harder than side one! I agree that so many of these are of equal caliber. Heavens!! How can you choose between "Merry Christmas, Darling", "First Snowfall", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", "Christ Is Born", and "Ave Maria"? They are all gorgeous. Ultimately I voted for "Ave Maria".

It was very difficult to choose just one favorite off of side two, as I love most of them equally! In the end, I voted for "Christ Is Born". It is such a gorgeous song, and Karen's last "allelujah" always gives me major chills!

Murray

Hi Chris:

I started a topic a few days ago on Leadsister.com (Karen's voice-Always Amazing) in which I said how amazed I was when I hear this same line!!
I think Karen makes the same effect in you an me, don't you think? :laugh:

Regards

Jorge

Chris May said:
"Folks put runners on their surreys and forget about their worries..."

That is my favorite line on the whole album. I picked "The First Snowfall"/"Let It Snow". Second would be "Ave Maria". -Chris

I'm with Murray on this one. Even though it's too difficult to pick just one, this whole side is excellent, just perfection.

My vote is for Christ is Born, it's what Christmas is all about. So heavenly. Everytime I hear her sing that last note, always makes me feel it's reaching the heavens above duing this joyous season.

MCD would be 2nd and
Ave Maria 3rd

JohnnyAngel said:
Hi Chris:

I started a topic a few days ago on Leadsister.com (Karen's voice-Always Amazing) in which I said how amazed I was when I hear this same line!!
I think Karen makes the same effect in you an me, don't you think? :laugh:

Regards

Jorge

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid I used to play that line over and over again. I like all of those vocal overdubs there.....very catchy!!! -Chris

"First Snowfall/Let It Snow" is my #1 pick. Good side 2, except "Ave Maria" is an instant "skip" for me.

A hands-down on "Merry Christmas Darling" for me. The warm sentiment of the song (especially for those of us missing someone) and "cozy" arrangement are enough. But with KC's intimately warm, smokey vocals, I cry every time.

What a tough choice with so many great songs on this weeks poll! But... I picked "Merry Christmas, Darling" because for me, it stands tall above the rest. I prefer the 1978 version over the original. I love Karen's re-recorded vocal and really think she shines on this track. Plus, we get to hear this song on the radio every year! This song has become a true Classic, deservedly so.

Merry Christmas Darling gave birth to CarpenterS holiday music. Ah cha cha cha cha, the first time I heard this song I knew it was something special and would become a seasonal standard to be reckoned with. Portland radio is playing mucho K&R. The original MCD track is often played here. Hearing the original repeatedly only enhances my fondness and highlights my early Yuletide memories. The original lead is, oh...how do we say here? It's more CarpenterS unplugged. In that Karen's vocal is edgier, more raw and replete with the mesmorizing effect of the groups roots. Certainly I enjoy 78's re-record as well. It too has magic. However, often times when I hear the two versions they strike me as two different songs altogether. One has this emotional "Rainy Days" thing and the other has a silkier "Goodbye and I love You" type delivery.

CarpenterS and Christmas is the stuff enchantment is made of. Since the age of 7 my Holidays have had an x-tra special meaning.

Chow baby,

Jeff

Hi All,
I chose the wonderful, gorgeous, spine chilling song of AVE MARIA. That is the most gorgeous song Karen ever sang. So pure, so beautiful, the lows and highs of that song and the way she sings it in her own unique crystalline style is amazing! I never tire of hearing her sing that song.

Cam

A close one but I chose Merry Chrismas Darling it sounded good the first time it was realeased and still sounds good on this record. I do agree that Ave Maria is one of Karens finest performances she handles a rather difficult song with such ease simply amazing. :thumbsup: :D

MCD, no doubt.

I'm a bit of a Grinch when it comes to Chistmas . . . So it should come as no surprise to find I'm completely ambivalent about re-re-recordings of [insert carol], Carpenters included.

Still, MCD is so incredibly special and post-modern. No one could ever sing it better and I'm glad that so few, if any, try (it would ruin it, wouldn't it?). It's like no one can surpass Crosby's "White Chistmas" or outdo the Mathis version of "The Christmas Song."

Good holiday to all(!)

"Merry Christmas Darling" all the way across the board.

My brother-in-law, a long-time DJ here in the San Francisco Bay Area, considers "Merry Christmas Darling" to be one of the 20th Century's last great, immediate Christmas classics -- and mentions this every year on the air. I couldn't agree with him more. "Merry Christmas Darling" has "classic" written all over it from first note to last.

Jon

Runaway leader is not surprisingly MCD ....a great original lyric & melody ...brilliantly performed by Carpenters .... :D

However I do prefer original 1970 single version ....just that bit warmer than re-recorded 1978 album track ....so on that basis despite some great tracks like Christ Is Born , Let It Snow , I'll Be Home For Christmas... :thumbsup: .....

Selected the best vocal version of Ave Maria ....with perfect pitch , tone and that soaring vocal that provided classic Carpenters song :

Ave Maria ....:cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom