What would have happened if Herb Alpert hadn't existed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Blakesley said:
Gene Roddenberry = Creator of Star Trek.

Along with Alexander Courage... :oneeye:

DAN BOLTON said:
If Herb Alpert never existed, none of us would have met...

Who would ever guess that years after A&M Started that this "Internet" would bring us together because of "this", along with all these other Interests...?! :tongue:artyhat:

Dave

Dave said:
Mike Blakesley said:
Gene Roddenberry = Creator of Star Trek.
Along with Alexander Courage...

Umm, Mr Courage did NOT have a part in the creation of Star Trek outside of writing the theme music and scoring some first season episodes...

After the first season Mr Roddenberry wrote lyrics to go with the tune, resulting in royalties being split. This created bad blood between the men and Courage was (depending on who you ask) either fired or quit working for Star Trek. BTW, if you ever hear or read the lyrics (Nichelle Nichols sang them on one of her LPs), they really really suck...

Sometimes you worry me, young man! Here's a box of Krayolas. Now head to that there ignore thread... That's a good fella!

--Mr Bill

My answer to the original question - "What if Herb Alpert hadn't existed?" - would have been: Someone would have had to invent him.

Many great artists would possibly never have been recorded if Herb Alpert had not existed. There would have been no A&M records the greatest Independant label ever!

PartyRico said:
There would have been no A&M records the greatest Independant label ever!

Hi, Bernie:

What you said is absolutely right! Without Herb Alpert, there wouldn't have been a recording company like A&M.

would be just about the most progressive act/record label in this world. Sure, one can argue that in the absence of any creative source that the vacuum would be filled with another, but personally, I believe that A&M Records served a valuable purpose(I'll also add that while doing a Yahoo! search on A&M Records, I recieved a message to this effect: "did you mean A&Me Records" Lol, when one thinks of it, Jerry Moss has always been a whole lot more than just an figurehead...in fact, it was Jerry'd idea to for a record co. w/Herb to begin with. And Moss brought to the table his experience in record promotion(and also proved to have a knack for producing, which really •does• require some musical knowhow. Altho' Jerry doesn't actually play, he nonetheless understands music, and particularly, what works. Some folk, while not musicians themselves, just have an intuitive sense of things, and can arrange music brilliantly, or in the case of an Irving Berlin, create fine material, despite the fact that Berlin lacked any formal education. His(Berlin's) responce to what would have been, had he been formally educated? It would have ruined things, or said Irving.
So wow, some don't need to have musical ed to contribute, and Jerry Moss is proof-positive that one needs savvy more than knowledge. Herb and he had that, and plenty of it, and of course Herb brought some 20 years of experience to A&M (or A&Me, however one prefers :D
And widd@ I'll spit for some tostada chips y hookah...as things are going, I'll prob'ly have to enter a 12-step program to overcome my addiction to this groovy salsa...it's soooo good, but it's like magma, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom