Which Sergio "era" was the best?

Which Sergio Mendes "era" produced the best music?

• His early Atlantic recordings/Bossa Rio

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The "Brasil '65" era

• Brasil '66: The Lani/Janis era

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Brasil '66: The Lani/Karen era

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Brasil '77 on A&M

• Brasil '77 on Bell

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The Elektra era (from "Sergio Mendes" to "Magic Lady")

• The later A&M era

• "Brasileiro" and "Oceano"

• I prefer the live albums

• I'm not picky, as long as it's Mendes I'm happy

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
We haven't had a poll on this forum in a while, so let's vote on this. (I have a feeling I know what the #1 winner will be, but guessing #2 will be harder!)

This poll will end on July 12, so vote now!

Personally I prefer the Brasil '66/A&M period. The group's sound is magical and it holds my interest tightly whenever I listen. I notice different things in those songs. Take for instance, "Norwegian Wood" - an exciting and shining moment for the group, I get chills when I listen to that! :) Or how about "So Many Stars", that's one of the most beautiful ballads I've ever heard.

Exactly when did Karen Philipp replace Janis Hansen? Was it on Fool on the Hill?

Joe, remembering Karen Philipp on "M*A*S*H" as Lt. Maggie Dish... of course the first time I saw her was in a rerun

It's tough to choose between the Lani/Janis and the Lani/Karen era, but because my all-time favorite, Fool On The Hill, is in the Lani/Karen era, and because that's the version I saw live, I gave it the slight edge.

Perhaps refinements of this poll upon its conclusion would be to select favorite albums from each era or decade.

Harry
...going with Lani/Karen, online...

I'm the same way, Harry. Since I started my Sergio fan-ship with STILLNESS and worked backwards (and forwards) from there, I tend to like the Lani/Karen era the best, but there are great moments in all the albums. But like you, I gave the edge to Lani/Karen.

This is a tough one to pin down...if you really look closely, Sergio has had even more careers than Herb ALPERT has. It's almost like comparing apples and oranges, because they're so different. Last year when the reissues came out, I bought DANSE MODERNO, EQUINOX and BRASIL 65/MY WORLD IS A BALL/SERGIO MENDES' FAVORITE THINGS; I was amazed at the versatility he displays over the years.

At 19, Sergio was already a virtuoso...DANSE MODERNO is the quintessential bossa nova album for me. EQUINOX is the same, but with vocals added...a new dimension...MY FAVORITE THINGS highlights Sergio's arranging talents, and MY WORLD IS A BALL firmly establishes him as a jazz artist. The man's AMAZING!

It's kind of like trying to say which child you like best...they're ALL good...

I wish Herb and Sergio would do a project together...Herb on the horn, Sergio at the keyboards, Lani and Gracinha on the vocals, John Pisano on the guitar, Pat Senatore on bass, Steve Shaeffer on drums...throw in Jules Greenberg on the vibes and Abe Laboriel on some bass tracks, have Randy and Andy produce...and whatta session THAT would be...if THAT wouldn't bring A&M back, I don't know what would...

I'm sure they would all really love to do this... :wink:

Dan

Dan, what is My World is a Ball? Did one of Sergio's early efforts get rereleased under yet another alternate title?

Never mind, as Emily Latella would say. I realize now you're actually talking about the soundtrack to Pele.

Of All Sergio Eras, I will always prefer his A&M years...both as Brasil '77 and '66!

I at least have both Bells and only his Self-Titled and HOME COOKING on Elektra...which just, to me, seemed to be the end of his career (now I know why someone mentioned that he only listened to MAGIC LADY when he feels a need for SELF-PUNISHMENT! :wtf: ), until his return to A&M, with the album containing "Never Gonna Let You Go", of which I only have a '45' of the Hit Song, as opposed to the entire LP.

Dave

...stating The A&M Years (all of 'EM!) as Serio's Best Era...! :thumbsup:

Mine has to be Brasil '66 with Lani and Karen. I suppose because that was my introduction to their music. Also was the only time I saw them in concert. Brasil '77 just didn't have the same feel for me.

Dave - you're missing a lot of good stuff. The album with "Never Gonna Let You Go" -- that song is really one of the low points on that album, as far as I'm concerned. There's other stuff on there that sounds more "Sergio-like," including 2 nice instrumentals.

You should also get BRASILEIRO and OCEANO, and for sure you should seek out HORIZONTE ABERTO. Those have a lot of the B'66 influence in them.

And, you should write your posts with "black" letters! :D

yes its a hard choice--
but i picked the earliest era
because i basically love the first 3 lps
IN THEIR ENTIRETY
while the next 4 lps i really only
LOVE about 50-60% of all the trax.
(the highlights from those last 4 lps
are probably the groups finest work tho)

so again i say it is a hard chouce

wp

Mike Blakesley said:
Dave - you're missing a lot of good stuff. The album with "Never Gonna Let You Go" -- that song is really one of the low points on that album, as far as I'm concerned.

You're Right! But that song holds a lot of memories for me--I was 13 (maybe 14?; did the song come out in '83 or '84?) when it came out and it was blaring over the loud speakers at a public pool me and my first girlfriend were at. I sang along with Joe Pizullo, (thought it was Sergio, himself! :wink:) the opening lines of the song to her :love: . I just have a Red-Label-Double-Sided-Promo Copy of the song. The rest of the album, which I've tried, was never to my liking.

Remember a thread, maybe at the Old Discussion Board, where we discussed "Never Gonna Let You Go", after I posed what's still today, a Burning Question: 'If Sergio Mendes was still a Brasilian Outfit, then What's Supposed To Be So BRASILIAN About "Never Gonna Let You Go"?!'

I tried ARIA, which sports a new version of "Mais Que Nada", that is when I found a copy that wasn't sealed. :wink: I just think we need a more UPDATED and comprehensive compilation with a LOT of the newer stuff--though which one or more songs from CONFETTI would be appropriate--?--The one which was a HIT or the one I LIKE?! :baah:

I do like the newer version of "Waters Of March" from Brasil '88. :)

But we already know where "Sergio Mendes" and "Compilations" usually leads us... :mad:

Mike Blakesley said:
There's other stuff on there that sounds more "Sergio-like," including 2 nice instrumentals.

You should also get BRASILEIRO and OCEANO, and for sure you should seek out HORIZONTE ABERTO. Those have a lot of the B'66 influence in them.

And, you should write your posts with "black" letters! :D

Um, OK...I'll Try...! :|

Dave :D

walterphil said:
yes its a hard choice--
but i picked the earliest era
because i basically love the first 3 lps
IN THEIR ENTIRETY
while the next 4 lps i really only
LOVE about 50-60% of all the trax.
(the highlights from those last 4 lps
are probably the groups finest work tho)

I second that. When Fool On The Hill and Crystal Illusions hit their stride, they are excellent--"Casa Forte", "Festa" and "Lapinha" I can't live without! But what hurts these albums, IMHO, are Dave Grusin's leaden, overbearing arrangements that walk all over the music. I mentioned this in another thread--Dick Hazard (who arranged for "Like A Lover", "So Many Stars", etc.) wrote his accompaniment arrangements in the higher and lower registers, giving the "middle register" vocals space to work. Grusin just lays it on thick with countermelodies that distract from the music at hand...melodies in the octaves the singers are also singing in, like a competition. Some like it...I don't really care for it. While a track like "Pretty World" is neat, it sounds more like the Dave Grusin Pops with special guest Lani Hall singing lead on it. A catchy tune, but it really is not representative of the same Brasil '66 that recorded "Casa Forte".

I'm back from my three-day trip (with layovers in Los Angeles and Spokane) and I'm rip-roarin' to go...my vote? "I'm not picky as long as it's Mendes!" Should this be a surprise to any of you? Naaa... :wink:

Jon

...thrilled to have his Windows Explorer up and running again, online...

Rudy said:
I second that. When Fool On The Hill and Crystal Illusions hit their stride, they are excellent--"Casa Forte", "Festa" and "Lapinha" I can't live without!

It's funny how certain songs remind us of a time in our lives. Case in point: Fool On The Hill. "Festa" reminds me of a Summer back in '78 when we vacationed at Disneyland. Whenever I pull onto Harbor Blvd., the excitement that is "Festa" comes alive inside my head -- always a favorite 'for me' (with a nod to Equinox! :wink: )

As for "Lapinha", what can I say? I listened to it on the way home from the airport last night. Had the volume up to "10" and couldn't get enough of it. Bottom line: masterful.

Rudy said:
Grusin just lays it on thick with countermelodies that distract from the music at hand...melodies in the octaves the singers are also singing in, like a competition. Some like it...I don't really care for it...

While I am not a fan of Grusin's solo material (I have one album and played it maybe three times...yuck!), I liked what he did with Mendes much better. To me, Fool On The Hill represents a step in the evolution of Brasil '66. However, I do understand how Fool On The Hill would sound "muddled" compared to the three earlier albums. Agreed on the vocals, though I've grown accustomed to and enjoy them.

Rudy said:
While a track like "Pretty World" is neat, it sounds more like the Dave Grusin Pops with special guest Lani Hall singing lead on it. A catchy tune, but it really is not representative of the same Brasil '66 that recorded "Casa Forte".

Crystal Illusions appears to be an extension of Fool On The Hill in many ways, almost as if they could have been released as a double album. Where Fool utilizes Brasilian lyrics, Crystal seems to cover similar ground with the use of American lyrics (save for "Viola" and "Dois Dias"). I've also grown accustomed to Crystal Illusions, but agree that there's a big difference between say "Pretty World" and "Casa Forte". They do sound like two different versions of Brasil '66.

Jon

I probably don't need to tell too many of you how I voted but I must say that I vividly remember the Lani/Janis concerts (including songs performed), but recall only bits & pieces of the Lani/Karen concert even though the latter was 2-3 years afterwards. I DO remember the ALL the girls being absolutely GORGEOUS however....!

This vote is yielding some surprises. I thought sure that the "Lani/Janis" era would gallop away with first place, and I thought the "Brasil '77 on A&M" era would get a couple of votes too, due to PRIMAL ROOTS.

However, it ain't over yet!

:laugh:

Well, I can see that I am the ONLY one to vote for the '77 Bell era, but that it where I started and worked my way backwards. Love Music is still my favourite album.

Terry

Lord Lurking said:
:laugh:

Well, I can see that I am the ONLY one to vote for the '77 Bell era, but that it where I started and worked my way backwards. Love Music is still my favourite album.

Terry

I've found that true with many artists I've liked over the years. My "jumping in" point in their catalog is often my most favorite. It may have to do with the fact that a person's initial exposure motivates them enough to seek out an entire album of the artist's music and, if liked enough, start exploring more of the catalog.

The opposite happens also (but not as often)--you realize your 'favorite' is actually one of the artist's weaker recordings. I can think of a few artists this has happened with. I listened to Maynard Ferguson's Columbia albums since high school, but about 8 years ago, Mosaic put out a 10-CD box set of the Roulette era. 10 CDs??? Hmmm...I dug around a little and turned up about a half dozen Roulette-era albums, ones I never knew existed, and they were good, far better than a lot of his Columbia albums. And I wound up buying the box set and haven't regretted it...and have touched only a few of those Columbia albums in the past several years.

[/quote]
I've found that true with many artists I've liked over the years. My "jumping in" point in their catalog is often my most favorite. It may have to do with the fact that a person's initial exposure motivates them enough to seek out an entire album of the artist's music and, if liked enough, start exploring more of the catalog.

The opposite happens also (but not as often)--you realize your 'favorite' is actually one of the artist's weaker recordings. I[/quote]

I agree, it is not often that I have found an experience of finding stronger earlier material. I suppose that it is more likely if you jump in to an established artist, as you described. With SM, I prefer the Bell era, when HAVING to make a choice, but is is hard to split my preference. Many artistes when I have bought their second or third album and thought, yeah I must buy the earlier albums too, with really disappointing results. Glad to say that that is not so with SM.
Occassionally I find links with previous bands or associated artistes with very pleasing results. This happened in the late sixties to me with the evolvement from the Hollies and the Byrds ie. Crosby and Nash forming a trio with Stills. I went back to Buffalo Springfield and then discovered Neil Young. Wish I could name many such great revelations, alas I cannot easily do so, but give me time :wink: .

Terry

it's about time terry!
i've been waiting for you to vote in this poll!
waiting for that little blip of your vote next to brasil 77.
and even tho i don't agree i find your vote very refreshing.
hope you enjoy my compilation on its way.

don't you guys often find
that your first exposure to any song
usually reamains as the definitive
version for you?

ie

"wedding bell blues" by laura nyro
i heard and liked better than the later inferior version
by the 5th dimension

conversley i prefer the 5th's version
of "stoned soul picnic" over laura's.
(and i suspect it was because i was familiar with the 5th's first)

ditto for "tomorrow is a long time"
by judy collins over dylan's original

and the "look of love" by sergio over dusty's

actually for that matter
i heard "fool" first by sergio
and preferred it over the beatles.
sacrilige!
(well anywhere else besides this list!)

xx
walt

Once again, I don't care as long as it's Mendes. To quote a song from Brasil '88, "That's Enough For Me!"

Jon

walterphil said:
it's about time terry!
i've been waiting for you to vote in this poll!
SORRY WALT, I ONLY NOTICED THAT THERE WERE POLLS YESTERDAY, WHEN ALL MY TROUBLES SEEMED SO FAR AWAY
:twisted:

the "look of love" by sergio over dusty's
100% WITH YOU ON THAT ONE

actually for that matter i heard "fool" first by sergio
and preferred it over the beatles. sacrilige!
I AM AMAZED! :shock: DID YOU NOT SEE "THE MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR ON T.V. WHEN IT WAS FIRST SHOWN? I CAN STILL REMEMBER IT AND IT HAS DEFINATELY IMPROVED WITH AGE.
(well anywhere else besides this list!)
ARE YOU SURE??? :?:

xx
walt

TERRY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom