WHIPPED CREAM DELAYED 2 WEEKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
THE ALBUM COVER THAT UNLEASHED THE IMAGINATIONS AND APPETITES OF A WHOLE GENERATION
IS STILL FRESH AND INTOXICATING 40 YEARS LATER

WHIPPED CREAM
& OTHER DELIGHTS

On April 19th Shout! Factory Reissues Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass’
Sexy And Whimsical Chart-Topping Creation

LOS ANGELES – A feast for the eyes and the ears, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass’ Whipped Cream & Other Delights (originally released in April 1965) was a sumptuous buffet of Brazilian, jazz, mariachi and Dixieland that music lovers just couldn’t get enough of. Topped off with their runaway hit “A Taste Of Honey,” the album spent eight weeks at #1. And then there was the album cover - that daring, sensual photo of a voluptuous model draped only in whipped cream from head to toe.

On April 19th, Shout! Factory will reissue the classic Whipped Cream & Other Delights as part of The Herb Alpert Signature Series, a long-term campaign to release deluxe re-mastered editions of Alpert’s albums recorded with the Tijuana Brass. The newly remastered edition of this all-time classic album now also features two previously unreleased bonus tracks, “Rosemary” and “Blueberry Park,” both, of course, in keeping with the delectable flavor-per-song phenomenon of the original LP’s twelve selections.

40 years after its initial release, pundits still debate about the secret behind Whipped Cream, a concept album built entirely around savory subjects that marked Alpert and the Tijuana Brass’ breakthrough to the mainstream. Perhaps it was the way they bridged the gap between the generations by writing vibrant pop songs rooted in traditional music. Or their sexy Brazilian saunter through “Green Peppers” and “Bittersweet Samba.” Could it be the playful “Whipped Cream,” which rode into pop culture infamy when “The Dating Game” started using it as a theme song? Or maybe that cover had something to do with it after all. Whatever the reasoning, the album aerated to #1 on Billboard’s Pop Albums chart, and its Top 10 single “Taste Of Honey” took home four GRAMMY® Awards including “Record Of The Year” for 1965…very sweet indeed!

Within a year of releasing Whipped Cream, Alpert and the Tijuana Brass set a record that has yet to be challenged; four of their albums sat in the Top 10 throughout 1966. Alpert went on to sell over 75 million albums, win six Grammy® Awards, and built the legendary A&M Records (home to Sheryl Crow, Sting, Janet Jackson and The Carpenters). In total, Alpert has released over 30 albums, fourteen certified platinum, fifteen gold, and five #1 hit singles.

About Shout! Factory:
Shout! Factory is a broad-based audio and home video entertainment company whose cofounders — Richard Foos, Bob Emmer and Garson Foos — share a passion for pop culture of the 20th century and beyond. Video and DVD projects include television programming spanning 75 years, live music concerts, animation and sports collections and special interest documentaries. Audio products from Shout! Factory consist of GRAMMY®-nominated box sets, anthologies and “best of” collections, as well as new music, soundtrack releases, deluxe album reissues and quirky compilations. Shout! Factory’s catalog features vintage and legendary performances from some of the greatest — and most eccentric — artists of our time. www.shoutfactory.com

HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS: WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS

Catalog Number: DK 32868
Price: $13.98 SRP
Release Date: April 19, 2005

Don't know - just found the Shout! Factory release that indicated April 19th instead of the 5th as previously announced. Herb told me last week that they had just finished the mastering, so perhaps their timeline just needed to be pushed out for the manufacturing process.

What's two weeks, anyway? The music's 40 years old! It's just getting aged a couple extra weeks in the oak barrels, that's all. :D

Mike Blakesley said:
Maybe they're prepping a jewel box option for all the whiners. :wink:

Hah, good one! So the photo of Dolores Erickson will be as undistorted as possible!

I'm looking forward to the release of this particular album on CD. "A Taste of Honey" and "Lollipops and Roses" deserve the justice I hope Alpert will bring.

Captain Bacardi said:
Or maybe they're trying to figure out how to get pop-up Dolores Erickson doll to fit in the jewel case! :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi

That's not far off, actually. (Except the jewel case part.)

Mike Blakesley said:
Maybe they're prepping a jewel box option for all the whiners. :wink:

:laugh: Mike, you are such a tease! You know that is a very sensitive area for me....talking about jewel boxes.

Michael H.

Hey, why don't they do something like offer a 36"x36" reproduction of the original album cover we could buy as a poster? I'd buy one in a second! :D

Rudy said:
Hey, why don't they do something like offer a 36"x36" reproduction of the original album cover we could buy as a poster? I'd buy one in a second! :D

If you don't mind 10" x 15", then you'll be glad to know that a free one will be included with the CD!

I know that the parody covers of Whipped Cream (Pat Cooper, Soul Asylum, and the Frivolous Five) have been posted before on this forum, but I came across one today that I don't think has been featured. It is a whole family, the four Ostrowskis, semi-dressed in whipped cream for their 2003 family Christmas card. You can check it out at http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/A/Alpert/ostrowski_delights.html

BTW if you haven't seen the other covers, you can go to http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/A/Alpert/herb_alpert.html and click on the appropriate links.

Phil

Phil Fox said:
Yeay! After only three years I am finally a Bronze Member :goodie: :tongue:artyhat: !

Phil

It must be the fact that your avatar suggests that you have postage due. :laugh:

Harry

I suspect Phil may eb a fellow Philatelist. (That means "stamp collector" in case you dirty-minded fellows like Capt B get the wrong idea). Glad you made Bronze!

--Mr Bill
collecting US Stamps since I was 11 in 1971!

I too started collecting stamps about the same age, but gave it up until I got my kids grown and am trying to get back into it. The avatar is of the design of a favorite stamp of mine that one day I might be able to own as a decent copy.

For now, the money's going to remastered TJB albums!

Phil

Steve Sidoruk said:
On April 19th Shout! Factory Reissues Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass’
Sexy And Whimsical Chart-Topping Creation

Hey...my birthday!! Can't think of a better present!!! :wink:

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom