• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Whitney Houston - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/02/11/whitney-houston-dies-at-48/

Wow...very sad indeed. I was never a huge fan of her music, but she undeniably had talent to spare. Very sad and a testament to what drugs will do. (Even though it hasn't yet been revealed what the cause of death was, it's a fairly safe bet that drug use did play a role in shortening her life. Hopefully her story will be a cautionary tale for some young people.

She did have a tangential A&M connection - her mother, Cissy Houston, did vocals on several songs from Burt Bacharach's self-titled album.

I really don't believe this...! In fact, I read a recent National Enquirer stating that she was battling her drug addictions, but figured she might have rehabilitated herself in time...

Well, quite sorry to hear... I'll echo in spite of her life suffering such chains of events, she did have a fine voice, and could sing good songs, at least whenever she wanted to...

-- Dave

Heartbreaking. Literally minutes before we heard the news of her death, my wife and I were watching her video of Saving All My Love for You at the Grammys, comparing it to Million Dollar Bill- and discussing who would play her in her bio. Eerie. We always rooted for her even though her life became a mess. "I Go to the Rock" is one of my favorite recordings ever.

I always loved her voice, but aside from her first album I thought the material she did was rather tepid. I thought she could've done much more promising things. Once she hooked up with Bobby Brown she went downhill. Very sad to hear.

I always loved her voice, but aside from her first album I thought the material she did was rather tepid.

I'll go one further--a lot of us who were big into the funk/soul/R&B/fusion music popular in the mid 70s through the mid 80s thought her music just lacked...something. It's a case of having a great voice but having mediocre material to sing. With such talent in the family (Cissy Houston, Dionne Warwick), she could have done a lot more than chase the Top 40.

We'll never know now... :sigh:

Very sad, indeed, but to quote a saying by Herb Alpert, "I saw that train coming a long time ago". She was a very beautiful and very sexy woman(who else could wear a mink stole on a beach, and look very sensuous at the same time as she did in her video for "Heartbreak Hotel"?(Even in this ,ironies abound: her mom used to sing backup for Elvis, when she was part of the Sweet Inspirations!)But this "heartbreak" was her own version, not Presley's.

What I meant by my first paragraph, and the Alpert quote: look at how she looked at the 2001 Michael Jackson anniversary concert: she was skin and bones.EVERYBODY was talking about that, and the next year, her controversial interview with Diane Sawyer.Bobby was no better, saying, "I don't smoke weed ev'ryday...jus' ev'ry other day!" And he was sweating profusely!

I am in agreement with the Captain, that though she had a gorgeous voice, the material was not really up to par;she should have gotten much more challenging material to suit that beautiful voice of hers. But also truth be told, she could take trite material, and turn it into a vocal work of art. Look what she did with "I Will Always love You". Her best work to me was interestingly enough her version of the Isleys' "For The Love Of You";which had a sax solo by none other than Kenny G! Truth be told, he did rise to the occasion on this tune, and this pairing up made sense: they were both on Arista Records, and were both mentored by Clive Davis. I also liked "The Lonely Talking Again".

I have more to say, but I think I'll end it here.My condolences and prayers go with her mother,daughter, and other members of her family, and also her friends.

God Bless You, Whitney, Rest In Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom