Who is the singer of "pais tropical" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy

Hi,
I've bought the CD "The swinger from Rio: favorites" from Sergio Mendes.
Can anybody tell me the name of the lady who sings "Pais Tropical" on that record ?

Thanks for any reply,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

The singers for "País Tropical" are: Karen Philipp and Gracinha Leporace. Gracinha is currently Sergio's wife, and still sings with Sergio.

Hi Trevor,
thanks a lot for the info.
I really love that song meanwhile. The voices are so fresh and charming.
I suppose this song has already been recorded several years ago ?
Can you recommend additional CD's with the two ladies ?

Hi Tommy,

The song "Pais Tropical" is the title track of Sergio's PAIS TROPICAL album.
B00006BGYD.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This was available on CD from Japan back in 2002, but I see amazon is now listing it as unavailable. It must be out of print.

It was the first "official" album to use the Brasil '77 name, and features both Gracinha and Karen as vocalists.

The prior album also featured those two singers, along with the final recordings from Brasil '66 lead singer Lani Hall. It was called STILLNESS.

Amazon is still listing that Japanese import. You can click on the picture above to go there to order it if you wish.

The STILLNESS album was released in some parts of the world as a Brasil '77 album, but most people got it as a Brasil '66 album.

If you like the sound of "Pais Tropical", you'd probably actually like most of the Brasil '66 output. Any of their discs are great, from HERB ALPERT PRESENTS SERGIO MENDES AND BRASIL '66, EQUINOX, LOOK AROUND, FOOL ON THE HILL, CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS, and YE-ME-LE.

Harry

And you would probably enjoy VINTAGE 74, which was released on the Bell label and came out on CD a couple of years ago. It's a bit hard to find but worth it. That album does not feature Karen Phillip, but it does have Gracinha singing several Portuguese-language songs and Bonnie Bowden sings lead on the more pop-oriented tunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom