• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Who Nailed It? -- OUR DAY WILL COME

Who's "Our Day Will Come" do YOU think is The Best?

• Ruby & The Romantics

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • The Carpenters

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Frankie Valli

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roger Nichols Trio

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • We Five

• Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Other(s)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

The earthy, airy, folkish fragrance of We Five...?

The art of covering a '60's Golden Oldie in the '70's by Frankie Valli...?

The "A&M Must'a LOVED THIS!!!!" of Roger Nichols, (billed as "The Roger Nichols Trio") which I voted as MY fav'...?

The original by Ruby & The Romantics (& the mere mention of this song, of which Frankie Valli's version was what I was thinking of & how I got introduced, to someone, I'm sure he was singing the R&R version!)...?

The inclusion in The CarpenterS "Oldies Medley" by Richard & Karen, of which the Oooohhh, Aaahhh of it give it a soulful oomph! (Though it could NEVER hold a candle to "The End Of The World", but my 2nd fav', not counting YOM!), another '60's tune covered w/ '70's glitz!...?

Your Favorite? Vote Now!

Dave

Oh man! You forgot Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass?

Sad...just sad.

Harry

I really like Herb's version, but to me it has an odd boxy sound to it (kind of weak on the low-end) and there might have been better songs to lead-off the SRO album with. I'm not sure what happened on that song, but the production just sounds kind of strange...other songs on that album sound just fine to me.

The Carpenters version has to get my nod. Karen hitting that low note on "our" near the end is great, and I always enjoy Tony Peluso coming in with "Faaaaaan-tastic!" at the end.

I'm no fan of Frankie Valli's voice -- I find it kinda annoying and still can't see why he ever got so popular (although the WHO LOVES YOU album has some terrific tracks...he reined it in on that one). The rest of the versions, I can take or leave. But the Carpenters one is my fave.

Without a doubt the Ruby and the Romantics version is by far the best. They recorded it first and it went all the way to #1 on the Billboard Magazine's Hot 100 in the spring of 1963 just when the Bossa Nova movement was surfacing in the U.S. This song's arrangement has the Bossa Nova rhythm written all over it with some nifty Bossa drumming and percussion backing up those smooth and melodic vocals.

In fact, I believe this was the only song with a Bossa Nova beat to make it to #1 on Billboards's Hot 100. Several other great pop recordings circa 1963 with the Bossa rhythm were Quincy Jones "Soul Bossa Nova" and Joe Harnell's "Fly Me to the Moon Bossa Nova."

Harry said:
Oh man! You forgot Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass?

Sad...just sad.

Harry

Yipes..., sorry...! And from which album?

And also, I forgot Ray Conniff recorded it (in the SEVENTIES!), too...! :sad:

Dave

The late Isaac Hayes also recorded it as well (from 1970 "...To Be Continued"). I voted for Herb Alpert over Ruby & The Romantics version. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Karen's vocals, background vocals and drumming on "Our Day Will Come" are all stellar.

I love the original with the DJ chatter, but I also enjoy the version on the Reader's Digest set, which removes Tony's intro and outro. You can really hear Karen's drumming well on that version.

The quad version is beats the hell out of all of them! In fact, the entire album in quad is STUNNING.

I must say Ruby and the Romantics' version is equally great. And I like Herb's version, too.

Mike Blakesley said:
I really like Herb's version, but to me it has an odd boxy sound to it (kind of weak on the low-end) and there might have been better songs to lead-off the SRO album with. I'm not sure what happened on that song, but the production just sounds kind of strange...other songs on that album sound just fine to me.

That's a mystery to me too. There's an odd "mangled-tape" sound from about :10 to :40 as the song begins. It was there from day one on our LPs, but I didn't notice it until I listened to the old, rare Japanese version of the CD with headphones. I was shocked and appalled and thought there was something wrong with my system.

But the mangled tape syndrome is still there all these years later on the Shout! version too.

Harry

may seem 'boxy', but it was, after-all a combination of the song's basic rhythm AND the TJB's style. What's neat about that rhythm is that it is(essentially) an early preview of Disco. You should hear Bobby Vinton's recording of it. Complete with the same rhythmic style of Ruby & Romantic's record, it somehow offers some syncopation that gives it a somewhat 'Disco' feel, as does the *fabulous* rendition of "The First Time(Ever I Saw Your Face)" from the "Sealed With A Kiss" album.
now, back to the TJB's version
There is one part that, to me, is simply *brilliant*, and that is after trombonist Bob Edmondson's fine solo, for which the band subdue's the characteristic rhythm down to an essence. the trombone neatly reintroduces the original intensity. THAT, folks is a clever way to conclude a solo, and open what may be The Tijuana Brass' finest album.
Warm Wishes,
the hookah kid, who could never get enough of that wonderful salsa that "The El Ranchito" Mexican Restaurant(of Oxnard, CA) use to sell, before they went defunct. Wow!, THAT was S A L S A! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom