who really created 'wall of sound'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

Well,well,well-we see another celebrity has gotten away(and I mean this literally!) with murder again.In this case being Phil Spector; whose case today was declared a mistrial. Why am I not surprised? O.J., Robert Blake,the new current 'brat pack' are thumbing their noses at the law and getting away with it.

But this isn't about celebrity crimes;the question I have today concerns music. For many years, I've been hearing about Phil Spector's contribution to music, his innovations,and not surprisingly, his eccentricities. I had never heard Spector's whole body of work in one setting until the early 90s, when the record store I was working for was selling a compilation of Spector's biggest hits. We played the whole set, and quite frankly, I didn't understand what all the shouting was all about.

To me, the songs were mediocre,sung by mediocre singers(The Crystals? The Ronnettes? Oh welll...to each his own, I say), but I did like The Righteous Brothers' stuff.What comes up a lot about Spector is this so-called 'wall of sound',where I believe he stacked musicians' sounds against one another, until it sounded like an orchestra playing behind these singers(am I right on this folks?)

However, Spector's engineer, from what I understand, was Larry Levine, who was also Herb Alpert's engineer! From listening to the two gentlemen's recordings,to me his work on Herb's sessions is what I like the best.Every instrument's sound is clear, the engineering is impeccable, and everything works together on a whole, because of Levine's engineering. His Spector stuff sounds too dense,too foggy, and not all too pleasant to listen to.

What I really want to know is: did Spector commission Larry to create this sound; like 'I really have this great idea Larry for a sound, let's do it'! Or did Larry just hit upon this sound, and present it to Phil? For too long, Phil has gotten TOO much credit for this, and nobody talks about Larry and what he did. As the producer, Spector certainly had the power to take credit for himself, and not acknowledge what Levine really did. So who REALLY created the wall of sound,then? Phil or Larry? Would like to know!

To answer your question, yes, Phil Spector did "commission" Larry Levine to create the "Wall of Sound". The sounds heard on Spector-produced recordings were supposedly sounds he heard in his head, and Larry Levine, the singers and musicians were there to make it a reality. Spector alone takes credit for this because that's the way he wants it. He saw the role of the producer as the most important element. In a recent interview, he likened it to Mozart or Beethoven taking credit for their work, rather than whoever was playing or conducting the music. The reason it receives such praise (others would say, overpraise) is because of the way it was done, it had a way of making small, monaural transistor radios in the '60s sound like hi-fidelity systems. Personally, I don't see the advantage of mono over stereo, and I also don't like any of the "girl groups" he produced-The Ronnettes, The Crystals, etc.

Well, these days we do tend to discredit Phil... Perhaps not because of recent events--just that anyone could multi-layer instruments and production and create a "Wall" with it...

Too really get to the "decline" of this trend, it seemed as though those many musicians hired by Spector were simply hired for other sessions and the snatching up they got lessened that "wall" in terms of the number of players he used... Hence the failure of Ike & Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High" (an A&M-product, actually!) to be the big hit Phil wanted it to be was really an opportunity for Phil to just re-evaluate his career (Yes, the bitter seclusion he went into) and really realize the market was just into much more "simpler sounds"...

And long-story-short, Larry's engineering techniques, alone, could'a done the job, via. Multi-Tracking that Recording Units were capable of doing with instruments and voices alike...

Dave

--If only I could get back in the CAROL KAYE Discussion Forum... :sad:

Also, don't forget the echo chamber at Gold Star Recording Studio...it was a concrete walled enclosure, as I recall...I think there's a thread here at the Forum about it. The accoustics were unique there - a lot of reverb, that added immensely to the "wall of sound", especially on the TJB recordings like MEXICAN SHUFFLE. I don't know who oversaw the construction of that studio, but whoever it was, their contribution to the music we love so much is incalculable...

Dan

Kryola King Dave said:
--If only I could get back in the CAROL KAYE Discussion Forum... :sad:

If only Carol Kaye's forum had an "Ignore Thread." :rotf:

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
If only Carol Kaye's forum had an "Ignore Thread." :rotf:

--Mr Bill

Seriously, I reach fewer people putting "My Personal Daily Blog" here than, say, a place like MY SPACE, but where else can I express myself and keep almost an "OnLine Diary"...!!!

Thank You A&M Corner for having It!!!! :oneeye:

Dave

Krayola King Dave said:
...where else can I express myself and keep almost an "OnLine Diary"...!!!

Umm, "My Space" would be a good start. :yawn:

--Mr Bill

Don't know much about Carol Kaye...but thanks for answering my questions! Also, here's what late ,controversial rock critic/biographer Albert Goldman had to say about Phil Spector and his sound: "In between Elvis and the Beatles, there was Phil Spector and his so-called 'wall of sound',which was supposedly mini-operas for the kids.In recently listening to the collection of his hits, I couldn't believe how much monumental schlock there was!"
Albert Goldman-1983

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom