🎄 Holidays! Who Should Have Made A Christmas Album Before Passing?

Dave

I wish these artists, no longer with us, could have given us (well, hopefully NOT as their final say) good versions of Christmas Stuff:

GABOR SZABO -- After a visit to his native-Hungary, hs latest album before his death, was to have been a Christmas album, when he returned to the states, that he never got to do... :|

HOYT AXTON -- I can kind of picture of him on a sleigh "lookin' like Santa Claus", with his family beside him and singing with him on some of the songs... Particularily the traditional "Joy To The World", done as a medley with his own... :angel:

WES MONTGOMERY -- Hope some "Ghost of Christmas, Past" will send us that A&M album of this gifted and talented Jazz guitarist doing Holiday Favorites, which I miss him for not getting to do an album of, as it is... :sad:

Dave

I would have loved to have seen and heard a Roy Orbison Christmas album. Whenever I hear "Pretty Paper" I think of what might have been.

By the way, one of the Three Dog Night guys (Chuck Negron, I think) did a Christmas album some years ago, and he indeed did "Joy to the World" as a medley with the traditional song and the Hoyt Axton song that will forever be associated with 3DN.

Tim Neely said:
...one of the Three Dog Night guys (Chuck Negron, I think) did a Christmas album some years ago, and he indeed did "Joy to the World" as a medley with the traditional song and the Hoyt Axton song that will forever be associated with 3DN.

Which is also known as "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog"... :laugh: And Mariah Carey covered both songs in this manner, too...! :neutral:aughalone:

Dave

J.J. JOHNSON & KAI WINDING -- Hmmm... with BOTH of these two, no longer with us, I think there's more to them doing "Christmas Songs" than just "Little Drummer Boy"... (on Betwixt & Between)

PAUL DESMOND -- Yes, HE could've given us a Christmas LP, too...! Wonder if he could've recorded a track with ELVIS singing...? :oops: Well, they BOTH left us in '77... :neutral:aughalone:

Dave

Dave, I entirely agree with you on the Desmond matter. If only the legend of jazz saxophone had recorded an album of Christmas tunes. I'm really amazed that he didn't, with or without Dave Brubeck and company. Maybe he thought it would look too commercial; one never knows, given his dry sense of humor, as it were.

Now, on the other hand, I wish Bill Evans had gone ahead and recorded a full Christmas album. His single of "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" is magnificent, in the vein of Verve albums Conversations with Myself and Further Conversations..., where he records alone, overdubbing himself twice or thrice.

Julius Wechter and the Baja boys should've done one. We do have the repetetive classic "Partridge" on FAO and "God Rest ye Gentlemen" on the A&M/BFGoodrich Something Festive comp, though... A full LP would've been a delightful holiday treat!

--Mr Bill

Agree absolutely with Dusty Springfield proposal ....that is a missing gem :cool:

Did Judy Garland actually record a full Christmas album rather than several Festive favourites ....aside from her all time great Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas ..... :?:

Peter

Mr Bill said:
Julius Wechter and the Baja boys should've done one. We do have the repetetive classic "Partridge" on FAO and "God Rest ye Gentlemen" on the A&M/BFGoodrich Something Festive comp, though... A full LP would've been a delightful holiday treat!

--Mr Bill
No Doubt!

A Pete Jolly Christmas album would have been most welcome by me. Nice jazzie versions of the standards, similar to the Charlie Brown Christmas album, but done as only Pete would have done it.

Back
Top Bottom