Whos The Musicians On BMB's As Time Goes By Album?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No album credits--can't do anything other than guess about who played on it. My guess: studio musicians. I was betting either Pete Jolly and/or Roger Kellaway on piano.

yes, i definitly was thinking Roger Kelleway, but I still think some of the original guys are on it, especially drummer Frank DeVito. Only reason why I thought otherwise was because on The BMB discocraphy, the author had doubts about it being the real BMB.

The BMB actually always has been studio guys...just that once they got famous and needed to tour, Julius probably assembled a full-time group for appearances and most recordings. With the BMB pretty much kaput by then, he probably went with whatever remaining BMB musicians were able to play on the gig, and filled in the rest.

Just guessing, of course. :agree:

You don't need to tell me about the BMB. I was really trying to get a forum disscussion on the BMB as most of them of Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendes, and Carpenters. I was just uncertain about the musicians on this particular recording. I wouldn't say the only reason Wechter formed the BMB was to tour, but your entitled to your philosophy.

Jazzy, first off, let me give you an official welcome to the A&M Corner Forum.

Regarding your question, you asked who the musicians are on the Baja Marimba Band's AS TIME GOES BY album. And as has been noted, there aren't any musician credits printed on the album itself, so any answers here will be conjecture and supposition.

Both the TjB and the BMB used the best available studio musicians to create the sound on record. We know that from discussions with Julius himself, Carol Kaye, and others who've dropped by. The guys you saw on TV were in fact formed expressly for THAT purpose - putting a face on the musical groups for public consumption.

AS TIME GOES BY has been compared to Herb Alpert's WARM album, in that it came later in the group's history and was probably more of a solo album than any prior album. Both albums showcase their leaders with arrangements and instrumentations not normally heard before, so the theories are that these were studio albums using studio musicians and not necessarily any of the touring company. Perhaps some of the Baja Marimba Band members contributed in one way or another, but we can't be sure. Heck, we know that Julius himself performed on ALL TjB album and was never credited as such, nor considered a member of the touring TjB.

It is an almost certainty that Roger Kellaway played piano on AS TIME GOES BY, given his involvement in the composing of songs and the album's production.

As for the discographies here at the Corner, they were written a number of years ago by Rudy, site owner and our chief cook and bottle washer back before there was even a forum on which to discuss this stuff. So much has been learned since then, and unfortunately the constraints of time have prevented the discography texts from being updated. There has been a plan to make the discographies more dynamic with a database system, but those same time constraints have stood in the way.

You seem interested in the Baja Marimba Band based on the couple of topics you've started. Perhaps your interest will spark a few welcome discussions. Remember, we love this stuff - so fire away with your questions cor comments.

Harry
...preserving the sound online...

Welcome, Jazzy. Harry's right. Like the Tijuana Brass, the Baja Marimba Band started out as what is called, a "ghost band", a group of nameless, faceless musicians who were just there for a specific recording date or public appearance. They weren't the official lineup of the group. But once it all became so popular, a set group had to be formed because, people just want to see their favorite musicians live in concert. For in depth topics on the BMB, I would suggest you go to the group's discography page by clicking on it, or typing www.juliuswechter.com on your browser. There's even excerpts of an online discussion given here by Mr. Wechter shortly before his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom