• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Will "Volume II" Be Released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
I'm sure this has been mentioned and/or covered here somewhere, but a "topic search" revealed so much information, I couldn't tell where to start looking. So...I ask this question: is "Volume II" going to be released by Shout Factory along with the other TJB titles?

A lot of people seem to shy away from "Volume II" as being somewhat formulaic. I remember my Father often playing his reel-to-reel version. It has some good moments. Thus, I hope that "Volume II" does eventually see the light of day.

Jon

...ignorant, but curious all the same... :wink:

Randy said that ALL the TJB albums would be rereleased...that's the most reliable source that we have...it seems that the more popular albums are being reissued first...there's a lot of marketing strategy at play here, it seems...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
it seems that the more popular albums are being reissued first

I wonder...

Yes, VOLUME 2 can be counted among the generally least favored of the bunch, but it seems to be skipped over in the release schedule for this year. Generally, all of the other albums are coming out in order, up through the CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

As for most popular first, I can't believe that SOTB or LONELY BULL outsold albums like GOING PLACES or WHAT NOW MY LOVE or even SRO, when the Brass was at its peak.

But let's look on the bright side - maybe it will show up with next year's list.

Harry

Perhaps SOTB was a popular seller due to a couple of things. For one, it was the third in line of TJB releases. For another, the "Teaberry Shuffle" appeared on the record. That alone would be reason to make it a best selling TJB album. However, I'm in agreement with Harry. Hard to believe it outsold later, more solid, popular TJB releases.

Jon

It would be natural to release TLB first, since it WAS first...and SOTB was the first album to have a really big hit. I noticed that the albums were listed in a chronological order; maybe this is to test the water, so to speak. Who knows just what will happen? We all will sometime in 2006, I guess...

Dan

VOLUME TWO was recorded in 1963 but didn't hit the Billboard Top 200 until Jan. 15, 1966 (between GOING PLACES & WHAT NOW), charting 56 weeks and peaking at #17, according to Whitburn's "Top Pop Albums."
If the albums were released in the order they charted, VOL. 2 would be 5th.
JB

It looks to me like they plan to release one popular title with two "lesser" titles in each bi-monthly batch. Think of it this way: if they released WC&OD, GP and WNML as the first three, the casual fan/buyer would buy the three and be done with the reissues. But putting out WNML with, say for example, BAC and CI would result in better sales of the other two by the casual fan/buyer. So I think there's a marketing plan afoot and, knowing Herb Alpert, it will be a brilliant plan.

--Mr Bill

LPJim said:
VOLUME TWO was recorded in 1963 but didn't hit the Billboard Top 200 until Jan. 15, 1966 (between GOING PLACES & WHAT NOW), charting 56 weeks and peaking at #17, according to Whitburn's "Top Pop Albums."
If the albums were released in the order they charted, VOL. 2 would be 5th.
JB

True. The success of this album was, in essence, pulled up by the popularity of the other albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom