"YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" WAREHOUSE: Richard's Car Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't expect you to answer this question Chris given what you said but I have to ask: "off limits zone", this is a car warehouse so what on earth does that mean?

Actually it's a large building/storage facility that houses his automobiles, as well as other odds and ends. For example, things like all of his charts and orchestrations, filed meticulously and alphabetically, drawer-by-drawer. Framed letters from Herb, including the famous "We're no. 1...weeeeeeee...". Multiple copies of commercial video releases as well as back-up tapes etc. There are also the two red directors chairs that are personalized, given to them by the Carol Burnett Show, as well as album and picture collages, etc. The Baldwin piano that was used to record the entire A Song For You album is also there, signed by both Liberace, as well as Ferrante and Teicher on the sound board. Their original Hi-Fi is also out front with music running in the background. That's all downstairs, and upstairs are things like Karen's jellybean set, and other instruments etc.

WOW! Treasure chest indeed! I never realised all the extra stuff was housed there as well! Imagine trying to put a value on that if you were an insurer? :nut:

Amazing that you saw this with your own eyes. Richard has always been amazing at cataloguing everything from their career. I remember the tour of Newville Avenue that was shot by a fan and in the music room, there were shelves that contained literally dozens of pressings of 'Made In America', 'Time', 'Passage' and other rarities. And that's only the stuff he allowed the public to see :shock:

It was also interesting to see the videotape of The Karen Carpenter Story from Japan on VHS. That was also down there with all of the other tapes and DVDs.

I'm not allowed to post the others, as they were in the "off limits" zone in terms of public posting. The cars have already been featured publicly, so that's why I shared what I did! I feel bad having to say that, but I definitely want to honor Richard's wishes with that. I can tell you *what* was in there, just can't show pics.
I don't expect you to answer this question Chris given what you said but I have to ask: "off limits zone", this is a car warehouse so what on earth does that mean?

Look, now, us Gearheads, Car enthusiasts & geeks who are car-azzy nuts, who dig anything motorized w/ eight cylinders or more on four wheels like ME wanna know: What are those other cars?! :jester:

So if you can't show us pics of everything, we demand a complete list, but otherwise, I do respect Richard's privacy (and if I were to be as bizarrely curious about Karen's "stash", which was never anything more than Disney memorabilia) and since you're too sworn to secrecy, I would really out of respect there, if it's none of our business, don't want to further inquire...

Thank you, Chris, for sharing what you can show!

-- Dave

Another interesting thing was the story with the Plymouth Satellite featured on the As Time Goes By cover. This was Harold and Agnes' car originally. Richard sold it a few years back, and then bought it back (he's done this with many of the cars). The previous owner had a racing engine put in it, which of course Richard didn't like and is replacing...as well as everything else LOL

image.jpeg
image[1].jpeg
image[2].jpeg

I thought he had a '63 or '64 (or maybe '65) Riviera, but I see what might be a '67 or '68 Riv.

BTW, in the 2nd photo of the white Plymouth Satellite above, I can't completely tell with the glare, but is that black convertible an S2000 behind it? Been halfheartedly looking for an S2000 myself. Sad to see a few listed for sale that have been given the "ghetto" treatment. Something I'll likely get in a couple of years once I have room to store it in winter months.

Richard should compare notes with Jay Leno. They might be worlds apart on some things, but they both have impeccable taste in cars, and both take top notch care of all of them. Leno has also gone to great lengths, on some of his vehicles, to restore them to 100% original condition. He even has a couple that look a little "old", but are 100% original, untouched by any paint or interior restoration. These two are serious car collectors!

Another interesting thing was the story with the Plymouth Satellite featured on the As Time Goes By cover. This was Harold and Agnes' car originally. Richard sold it a few years back, and then bought it back (he's done this with many of the cars). The previous owner had a racing engine put in it, which of course Richard didn't like and is replacing...as well as everything else LOL

image.jpeg
image[1].jpeg
image[2].jpeg

Love the number plate!

ARC = Agnes Reuwer Carpenter
HBC = Harold Bertram Carpenter

Mr. Richard Carpenter has a far out awesome auto collection! I think it's awesome Chris that you were able to spend some time at Yesterday Once More! I think it would be neat to be able to tour Yesterday Once More. I had the opportunity and privilege in meeting Mr. Richard Carpenter at Top Of The World in March of 2006 and had my picture taken, and Becky Boxberger introduced me. My parents took me. I think Mr. Richard Carpenter is a very nice man, and am grateful to of had the privilege in meeting him. :)

Wow! I don't know much about cars, but they're QUITE impressive! I'd also love to see a "Carpenters museum" of sorts, but alas...

Here is a quote from Forbes (march 30,2014, Forbes online):

"Antique car enthusiasts from Jay Leno to Richard Carpenter have helped to turn a collection hobby
into a big business in the United States.
Now that China has emerged as the world’s largest auto market, what’s the outlook for antique car collecting in the country?"

am I remembering correctly - that the original Ferrari on the cover of Now & Then was sold - but he replaced it with a similar car? Or was I dreaming....?

am I remembering correctly - that the original Ferrari on the cover of Now & Then was sold - but he replaced it with a similar car? Or was I dreaming....?

Actually, he did sell the original and could never get it back, so he bought an identical. Still looks amazing of course. The '72 is the original seen in photos and various film B-roll from years past.

Wow, I'd never heard that before. I was way wrong. I know he mentions he still had the car in the 1981 Japanese Telethon appearance. I'd assumed that was evidence he hung on to it. Glad he found a replacement.

Wow, I'd never heard that before. I was way wrong. I know he mentions he still had the car in the 1981 Japanese Telethon appearance. I'd assumed that was evidence he hung on to it. Glad he found a replacement.

Yeah, the info surrounding that car is weird. I used to think the same thing. I actually think I remember him saying it was sold after THAT even...like late 80's or something. Richard tends to be very impulsive (hence selling Karen's SL, then buying it back - see pic). He also did it with the Satellite (see stripped down above in need of rebuild). This was Harold and Agnes' car, and of course the car seen on the As Time Goes By cover. He sold it, the buyer put a bigger engine in it which Richard HATED, then tracked it down and repurchased.

It's funny that up where I live, there is no such thing as getting a car back, especially that old: rust has pretty much killed everything more than 20-25 years old. Finding a near replica is about as close as it gets. My mom's brand new '56 Bel Air convertible was a goner, thanks to rust, about six years later.

Actually, he did sell the original and could never get it back, so he bought an identical. Still looks amazing of course. The '72 is the original seen in photos and various film B-roll from years past.
Wow... he could never get it back... That makes me sick. Sicker that he sold it to begin with. The new owner must be a prince. I wonder if he offered to trade cars after the new one came along...?

Wow... he could never get it back... That makes me sick. Sicker that he sold it to begin with. The new owner must be a prince. I wonder if he offered to trade cars after the new one came along...?

Something he has long regretted for sure...

Barrett-Jackson will be selling one of Richard's previous owned collector cars so if your in Vegas Sept 25-27, 2014 here is your chance:
1964 CADILLAC ELDORADO CONVERTIBLE
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1964-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-CONVERTIBLE-177275
(A piece of music history all carpenters memorabilia included.)
I wonder what this could be??? Signed Now and Then LP :D

Here is another Carpenter car that already sold Barrett-Jackson auction back in 2012 for $90K
1954 CHEVROLET CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1954-CHEVROLET-CORVETTE-CONVERTIBLE-117689

Actually, he did sell the original and could never get it back, so he bought an identical.

Here's another photo of the original Ferrari parked right outside the Newville home in 1973 :)

10356158_1605067076395423_5150402765766660392_n_zpsu4ryvq7c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom