• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

"Your Navy Presents" Rerelease?

So does this track listing mimic the order from the original radio show? Any omissions?

Tracks:​

1 - Part 1: Intro
2 - Get Together
3 - Bacharach David Medley
4 - Interview
5 - Love Is Surrender
6 - Part 1: Outro
7 - Part 2: Intro
8 - Can’t Buy Me Love
9 - Baby It’s You
10 - Interview (Karen & Battle of the Bands)
11 - Flat Baroque
12 - Help
13 - Part 2: Outro
14 - Part 3: Intro
15 - Ticket to Ride
16 - Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing & All I Can Do
17 - Interview
18 - All of My Life
19 - Part 3: Outro
20 - Part 4: Intro
21 - Cinderella Rockerfella
22 - Mr Guder
23 - I Fell in Love
24 - Interview
25 - Part 4: Outro

Several years ago, I was able to purchase an original version of the 70-41/42 LP from the son of a local CT DJ. He was selling his dad's collection of old LPs. Last year, I mistakenly purchased a bootleg version of the 70-39/40 LP from EBAY. The bootleg "new" LP did not sound as good as the 50 years old LP.

Well, I broke down and ordered a this CD version of YOUR NAVY PRESENTS. With a cursory I can confirm that it doesn't sound as good as what I already had, but I suppose it's OK for those that didn't have this program. There's a good bit of "worn groove" distortion on many of the tracks, so don't expect miracles in the sound quality department.

My nitpick though with this release is the misunderstanding of just what these programs were. They were not for military broadcast - but rather for local US broadcasts as a means of recruitment for the US Navy. If one just listens to the "commercials", it begs the question as to why in the world a military radio station would be recruiting new members. Wrong audience!

So the commercials are intact with this release then?
No. They've been edited out. But there are still liners about preparing for the future by joining the Navy. What originally timed out at 58 minutes is reduced here to 51 minutes.

Last edited:
So the commercials that were edited out on this CD did they appear on the sourced vinyl lp’s? If yes, then they must have removed them for legal reasons? Or whoever made this didn’t even have the lp’s? Maybe using a copy of a copy?

I believe they were edited out just because they were commercials - really though, Public Service Announcements. Yes, they should have been found on the original vinyl, and whoever put this out decided that they were unrelated to the Carpenters "show", so they chopped them out. I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I think from what I did hear that the editing was handled properly.

Listening to Sam Riddle tell me why I need to join the Navy *is* a bit intrusive if you're listening for Carpenters music. On the other hand, for a completist, originalist like me, I would miss the announcements if they weren't there.

Another annoyance for me is the audio. These programs were all mono, and the compilers just needledropped these poorly pressed LPs with a stereo stylus/cartridge. So you get spurious left/right channel noise that could have been neutralized by combining it all to pure mono.

I think the lack of announcements wouldn’t bother me but it’s your last point that would keep me from buying this. I’d rather have a pressing from the original LP’s using cables to capture that mono sound.

I have these songs but I don’t even remember where I got them and there’s no announcements and they’re not the best quality. To be honest it’s not really a sought after recording that I must have in my collection. It’s too bad Richard never put out a collection of these on CD which I’m sure he has pristine LP’s that could be transferred professionally keeping the mono sound. It’s probably like the MYOKOM tracks, he probably feels they are not worthy of a studio release in whole.

For about $21 it was an okay investment. The recordings for a needle drop on semi worn vinyl are decent enough. I’m glad they cut the commercials. It’s leagues better than the severely bad vinyl I have. All beat up, and constant crackling/pops.
I’m guess whoever made these got around copyright laws by only releasing it in England, and maybe parts of Europe, but not here in the states.
I wonder what he/she will release next there, through Amazon U.K.? Is it someone living in England, or in the United States? Ukraine and Russia do this a lot too. I don’t think too many fans there though…I consider this to be a bootleg cd.

Here is where I’m not real clear about bootleg. Yes I agree it’s being sold without consent so it can be labeled a bootleg. Yet if it’s a needle drop from an original sourced LP’s that were legit can it still be considered a bootleg? Yes it’s put in on Cd but it’s the same material as if you had the original LP’s. If you own the original LP’s they are legit and if you rip your own LP’s of this program onto a CD is it a bootleg?

I guess it’s a bootleg because this person making money off this did not own the rights of this program to them press it on a CD and sell them. But yet the material is from a legitimate source LP that was officially released.

What if you had these Lp’s and you pressed them to Cd for a friend who then gave you 10 bucks for your time and materials. Would it be considered a bootleg? The material is not a bootleg it’s the manner in which it’s being distributed for monies and profit of which this person doesn’t own the rights. I’m guessing. It’s a whole other topic lol

The true, strict legality of these is much like a promo record. They were never to be the property of the radio station and were supposed to either be sent back or destroyed. But like promo records, the surviving copies have found their way into private hands. So really, no one is supposed to have these, but as postured, there may be loopholes in UK law.

I’ll have to check my book tonight but Chris-was this covered in the legacy book any photos and dates of performances?
Mark T posted a full chronology from December 23, 2022 based on Carpenters Legacy & other sources and postings. Your Navy Presents was March 1970. Here's the link to that post and thread.

Mark T posted a full chronology from December 23, 2022 based on Carpenters Legacy & other sources and postings. Your Navy Presents was March 1970.

It's unbelievable to think this radio special aired just two months before the release of 'Close To You' on May 14, 1970. The recordings sound so raw, like they were from at least a year earlier, around the 'Offering' era.

Why do they call it Sacre Bleau?

I can’t believe not 1 photo from this radio program. This was almost like a mini live concert.
I guess in France at a certain point people didn't want to use God's name in vain so Bleu was substituted for Dieu, as in: "Not one freakin' photo of Karen & Richard on Your Navy Presents?! Holy Blue!! :) It rhymes I guess....

Last edited:
On the other hand, for a completist, originalist like me, I would miss the announcements if they weren't there.
Agree
Another annoyance for me is the audio. These programs were all mono, and the compilers just needledropped these poorly pressed LPs with a stereo stylus/cartridge. So you get spurious left/right channel noise that could have been neutralized by combining it all to pure mono.
This makes so much sense now. I have two of these CD bootlegs: one has lousy audio, the other is great. So silly question, if the compiler(s) use a stereo stylus/cartridge on a mono pressed LP, isn't the album now damaged? Or are you saying a rip from the damaged LP can still be corrected?

Agree

This makes so much sense now. I have two of these CD bootlegs: one has lousy audio, the other is great. So silly question, if the compiler(s) use a stereo stylus/cartridge on a mono pressed LP, isn't the album now damaged? Or are you saying a rip from the damaged LP can still be corrected?
I think that depends on the stylus/cartridge/tone arm. By 1970, most records were made to be played on the modern stereo phonographs of the day, even if they were mono. I suppose it's impossible to know what kind of studio equipment existed in any of the radio stations that might have played these on air. At radio stations that aired these, it's also impossible to know how they were handled. By 1970, some automated stations had converted everything to tape, so these "Sunday morning" shows might have been dubbed to a reel-to-reel with "step tones" that flagged the automation to go to the next event. And that's all just the playback. God only knows what kind of care, or lack-of, went into the mastering and production of the LPs. They weren't a high priority item.

All I know is that I have a number of these from the Army, Navy, and other sources, and most leave a lot to be desired, fidelity-wise.

Since we are talking about mono, I don't have these records from the Navy Presents but I do have most all of the Carpenters 45's and Olivia's 45's that were pressed in mono format. I'm no pro and really just a novice but this is what I did to capture these mono recordings into my PC.

I have a really old Technics Quartz Direct Drive turntable SL-Q350, at Rudy's advice long ago I bought a Ortofon 320 stylis cartridge. Cost alot but so worth the investment.

I bought a mono Y cable from radio shack (electronics store) on one end are 2 RCA connectors that feed directly into the back of my stereo receiver, the other end of this mono y cable is a single mono mini jack (you can tell by looking at it that it has 1 black ring around the outside of the mini jack. (usually you will see mini jacks are stereo, by looking at it you see 2 black rings around the mini jack that way you know its sterero) However the end of this mono Y cable is a mono mini jack. Then I bought a 3.5mm mono jack to 2 X RCA jack adapter. The mono mini jack from my y cable will go into this 3.5 mono mini jack adapter, the other end of this adapter is 2 RCA connectors. Then I bought a RCA cable, it has 2 RCA connectors and the other end is a stereo mini jack that feeds into the back of my PC's sound card to capture all this sound.

So it's basically collapsing the recording into a single channel then I'm splitting that single channel into a left and right then feeding it into my PC's soundcard. Then I'm capturing all of this sound into Audacity to create my files.

I'm no pro but the mono pressings from these 45's do sound amazing and the closest I will get to how it would sound from a radio station with proper equipment to play mono recordings over the air. It also seems to help eliminate any surface noise and imperfections that are buried rather than hearing it distractigly in one the other stereo speakers. It seems to have a cleaner sound and the mono mixes are up front so Karen sounds incredible instead of sometimes buried far back in the mix.

I still think this would be a great 2 CD set for Richard to release all of the Carpenters single mono 45's into a nice little collectible package. If I'm not mistaken there are about 31 mono single 45's of the Carpenters so quite enough to fill up a 2-3 CD set.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom