"Your Navy Presents" Rerelease?

Boondoggle

Looks like several UK sites, Amazon UK, and eBay sellers there are all posting preorders for a CD copy of "Your Navy Presents". Anybody know anything about it? Intros, outros, interviews, seems like it's all there. One site says it releases 4/26/2024, another says 5/3/2024.

f3UqUoJ.jpeg

It would be great to have. I don’t know whether it could be an authorised release, though.

It always surprises me that unauthorised DVDs of ‘Live at the Budokan 1974’ are still sold on Amazon and other sites as ‘Live In 1972’ and such.

I hope that ‘Your Navy Presents’ has great sound quality and is authorised. Unfortunately, I doubt it.

These are weird releases. Olivia has a few on the fm label too. Nothing to write home about but cool to have. I know there's a live in Australia from the 1972 broadcast on the fm label. I haven't gotten it yet tho.

I am not sure who even has the licensing rights that can re-release those albums. Until that happens, the best possible outcome I think would be hit or miss that the CD has a true needle drop from an original pressing.

I have one from eBay that is just awful. Sometime later I tried again (wary of the previous source) and I lucked out. The playback was very, very good quality.

Best wishes on your quest !

These are weird releases. Olivia has a few on the fm label too. Nothing to write home about but cool to have. I know there's a live in Australia from the 1972 broadcast on the fm label. I haven't gotten it yet tho.
Carpenters’ concert from Australia would be a bootleg, I’m sure.

I managed to grab all of these four "shows" as they appeared on YouTube a number of years ago. The quality is OK, but these recruitment discs weren't exactly the best pressings. The ones I have have all of the interviews and recruitment ads in them. They were made to be sent out to radio stations as "free" 15-minute programs that served a "public service" requirement. Typically they aired on Sunday early mornings between 6 and 8 am or Sunday nights from 10 or so until midnight. The idea was that in order for the station to justify its license as a public service, they had to air "x" amount of public service programs each week or month. So they were just one-off pressings not meant for public consumption. Often they were aired on AM stations in mono.

Though I don't own the Carpenters record discs, I have a number of other ones, and the quality there is again just so-so. A good amount of distortion, and it probably hasn't come from wear as stations would only play these once and supposedly they were to be returned or trashed. That some have survived is a small miracle.

The ads posted above give me one pause for concern. This CD is listed as "Miltary[sic] Radio stations broadcast. And while the Armed Forces Radio and Television Services (AFRTS) DID provide recorded music for broadcast to our military overseas, that's not what these Carpenters Navy recordings are about. They were purely to be used home-side as recruitment tools.

I suspect that this "release" is legal due to copyright lapses overseas. These are 54-year-old recordings and we've seen similar things with other 60s recordings - Herb Alpert's old Dore Alpert recordings showing up recently, and any number of his other early recordings repackaged several times.

And the reason for this is easy - someone, some company, is looking to make some money, so if they can find an old recording like this that's somewhat rare, and it's legal, why not provide it to the public that wants it. Hopefully it'll sound good. If they found pristine discs and used good equipment to digitize the tracks, then it could sound decent.

Perhaps purchasers can relay the quality information here.

The ads posted above give me one pause for concern. This CD is listed as "Miltary[sic] Radio stations broadcast.
To be fair this was a screenshot off just one of the sites that listed it. Others have military spelled correctly. I preordered one on UK Amazon, easier refund if it's crap I guess. They just pushed the estimate shipping date back today for some reason. Terrible album cover I've gotta say

K8Pv2hz.png

Looks like they used a Photo by Harry Langdon. It must be one they could use over seas while avoiding any legal rights. The quality of the photo used here is terrible compared to the original. I don’t know why getty’s has this listed as taken in 1981, that was not 1981.

Other clues that's not 'official': non-use of the Carpenters logo, and the use of "The" before the group name, and the source country being the Czech Republic.

Man I hate when these companies use photos that have nothing to to with the year that the music was recorded. I know there have been several Judy Garland releases that have been cleaned up beautifully to pristine quality---hopefully these have been touched up.

The Czech Republic is where most of the Euro vinyl I’ve purchased in the last couple of years has been pressed, and the other is Poland. The quality has been mostly positive.

I managed to grab all of these four "shows" as they appeared on YouTube a number of years ago. The quality is OK, but these recruitment discs weren't exactly the best pressings. The ones I have have all of the interviews and recruitment ads in them. They were made to be sent out to radio stations as "free" 15-minute programs that served a "public service" requirement. Typically they aired on Sunday early mornings between 6 and 8 am or Sunday nights from 10 or so until midnight. The idea was that in order for the station to justify its license as a public service, they had to air "x" amount of public service programs each week or month. So they were just one-off pressings not meant for public consumption. Often they were aired on AM stations in mono.

Though I don't own the Carpenters record discs, I have a number of other ones, and the quality there is again just so-so. A good amount of distortion, and it probably hasn't come from wear as stations would only play these once and supposedly they were to be returned or trashed. That some have survived is a small miracle.

The ads posted above give me one pause for concern. This CD is listed as "Miltary[sic] Radio stations broadcast. And while the Armed Forces Radio and Television Services (AFRTS) DID provide recorded music for broadcast to our military overseas, that's not what these Carpenters Navy recordings are about. They were purely to be used home-side as recruitment tools.

I suspect that this "release" is legal due to copyright lapses overseas. These are 54-year-old recordings and we've seen similar things with other 60s recordings - Herb Alpert's old Dore Alpert recordings showing up recently, and any number of his other early recordings repackaged several times.

And the reason for this is easy - someone, some company, is looking to make some money, so if they can find an old recording like this that's somewhat rare, and it's legal, why not provide it to the public that wants it. Hopefully it'll sound good. If they found pristine discs and used good equipment to digitize the tracks, then it could sound decent.

Perhaps purchasers can relay the quality information here.
I have a question: I know you specified copyright lapses overseas, isn't copyright life of the author plus 50 years? Wouldn't A&M / UMG / still own these recordings with Richard having right to control of release? Or does the Navy? Please let us know if you know. I googled it but kept coming up with the same author's life plus 50 years rule, in U.S. post 1978 author's life plus 70 years. Thanks so very much Harry or anybody.

I have a question: I know you specified copyright lapses overseas, isn't copyright life of the author plus 50 years? Wouldn't A&M / UMG / still own these recordings with Richard having right to control of release? Or does the Navy? Please let us know if you know. I googled it but kept coming up with the same author's life plus 50 years rule, in U.S. post 1978 author's life plus 70 years. Thanks so very much Harry or anybody.

I doubt very much Richard would own the rights to this. It wasn't produced by A&M, they were merely guests on a show produced by an independent broadcaster. Unless he bought the rights upon expiry.

I guess if we looked in the liner notes of The Essential Collection or From The Top we would see more about this, wouldn't we? I need to dig mine out.

I guess if we looked in the liner notes of The Essential Collection or From The Top we would see more about this, wouldn't we? I need to dig mine out.

You read my mind! That will tell us who the copyright sits with - or sat with back in 1991. The audio on From The Top was pristine and sounded like a first generation copy.

Many countries don’t have copyright laws, or ignore them. So that’s why there are so many bootlegs on line. I get a list of 50-100 European titles to order every week. I’m glad 99% of them are artists I could care less about. I think the majority come from Italy.

From The Top does have a copyright on the back pages of the CD pamphlet - 1991 A&M Records , Inc. All rights reserved.

But the liner note for Get Together on the pamphlet say licensed from Kim Voeller and the Interview liner notes say Courtesy of Sam Riddle.

There is some good posting on the thread Your Navy Presents (Again) that offers some further insight on possible licensing issues.

Your Navy Presents (again)

Last edited:
As a testament to just how "not-so-good" these recordings can be, check out this part of Richard's liner notes in FROM THE TOP:

"The electrical noise heard in the third verse is in the recording and not the disc."

In the recordings I have there exists all sorts of distortion on the mic feeds. I hear this same type of distortion on an earlier version of YOUR NAVY PRESENTS with Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 that I have on LP. I believe they were carelessly thrown together.

Richard states that they recorded 12 songs in-studio with the traveling group. Sam Riddle - or his staff - then worked with the interview portions and commercials to assemble each of the 15 minute shows.

Back
Top Bottom