Your Summer BBQ/Pool Party Song Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Okay everybody! Let's build a list of songs you'd have to have on your Summer Pool Party or BBQ play list. No limit to A&M only -- all's fair. Post your ten "gotta hear-it"s and maybe a theme or mood you're trying to add to your party mix (ie: exotica, samba, soul etc). I'll start with theme of "eclectica" and the following 10 tunes (I reserve the right to edit them later, of course):

Herb Alpert & TJB "Popcorn"
Kraftwerk "Autobahn"
Lio "Ameriuex Solitaire"
Sparks "Number One Song In Heaven"
Chris Montez "Foolin' Around"
Oingo Boingo "Reptiles & Samurai"
Esquivel "Mini-Skirt"
Damned "Wait For The Blackout"
Baja Marimba Band "Picasso Summer"
Holst "Mars"

--Mr Bill

I will come up with a couple of lists based on different moods. First list is blues/rock/jump blues/light rock/rockabilly oriented, which is usually what I play during the summer anwyay.

Stevie Ray Vaughan: "Say What!" (from Soul To Soul)
Gordon Lightfoot: "Sundown" (from Sundown)
Al Stewart: "On The Border" (from Year Of The Cat)
Doobie Brothers: "Black Water" (from What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits)
Brian Setzer '68 Comeback Special: "8-Track" (from Ignition!)
Roomful Of Blues: "Farmer John" (from Under One Roof)
Peter Gabriel: "Solsbury Hill" (from Peter Gabriel (1))
Lee Rocker: "Evil" (from Bulletproof)
Donald Fagen: "I.G.Y." (from The Nightfly)
Elton John: "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)
Hall & Oates: "Private Eyes" (from Private Eyes)

Another list is my "Boogie Down" funk/soul/R&B edition. Anything from disco to funk-jazz-fusion will fit here. Noticeably free of 60s Motown, thank goodness.

Earth Wind & Fire: "Let's Groove" (album version)
Chicago: "Street Player (12" single mix)
Herbie Hancock: "Chameleon" (album version)
Wilson Pickett: "Land of 1000 Dances" (45rpm mono version)
Stevie Wonder: "Higher Ground" (album version)
James Brown: "Cold Sweat" (45rpm mono version)
Daryl Hall: "Love Revelation" (from Soul Alone, one of the best blue-eyed soul albums evah!)
Chubby Checker: "Limbo Rock" (45rpm mono version)
Love Unlimited Orchestra: "Love's Theme" (album version)
Bill Withers: "Use Me" (I know I know I know I know....)

Distill that funk/soul idea a bit, and you get the next list, Rood's Disco Party, a list I'm actually working on for a party late this year. 100% disco or early 80s post-disco! All are the 12" single mixes (extended and/or remixed versions), or album version if no 12" exists. Hard to limit to only 10, especially on this one. Some of these 12" singles are quite rare; the Chicago, for instance, fetches over $100 on eBay these days.

Donna Summer: "MacArthur Park Suite" (original version)
Village People: "Macho Man"
Chicago: "Street Player"
Musique: "In The Bush"
Earth Wind & Fire: "Boogie Wonderland"
Rod Stewart: "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" (Bob Clearmountain remix)
Rick James: "Super Freak" (extended 12" single version)
Commodores: "Brick House" (extended 12" single version)
Sylvester: "Dance (Disco Heat)"
Jimmy "Bo" Horne: "Spank!"
KC & The Sunshine Band: "I'm Your Boogie Man"
Bee Gees: "You Should Be Dancin'" (yeah)
Isaac Hayes: "Don't Let Go"

I've got two more lists later I'll post, for the more mellow gatherings.

Eh, I think Top-10 ALBUMS would be the way to go here, but no use getting my covers all wet ...or smokey from the Bar-B-Que...!

Here put on a Cassette, played on my Boom-Box:

1. Sandpipers -- QUANDO INNAMORO (A Man Without Love) [Englebert Humperdinct sung it on the radio on my way home from work today!]

2. Tamba 4 -- CALIFORN'A SOUL [Well, that's how THEY pronounce "California"...]

3. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 -- BERIMBAU [This is more THEIR song, than other versions out there!]

4. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 -- SLOW HOT WIND

5. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 -- CHOVE CHUVA [Great for serving the Hors D'oeuvres during]

6. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 -- SO DANCO SAMBA

7. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 -- BIM BOM [Probably in this order, too!]

8. Chris Montez -- A TASTE OF HONEY [Good for After-Dark; maybe would save for when the party's over...]

9. Robert John -- WHEN THE PARTY'S OVER [For when the guests STILL don't take a hint that it IS...] :mad: :laugh:

10. Nick De Caro -- IF I ONLY HAD TIME [Don Costa does a neat version of this on his The Costa Concept album, too!]

Dave

My biggest problem with this concept is, the music I would want to hear probably wouldn't jibe with what my crowd wanted. I'd just stack all the TJB (from WHIPPED CREAM up through BEAT OF THE BRASS) and early Sergio (up thru FOOL) in the CD changer, hit Shuffle and I'd be one happy camper, er, barbecuer. When the party was winding down, I'd put on WARM.

My list of songs to play on the patio daddy-o...

She Drives Me Crazy – Fine Young Cannibals
Foot Stompin’ Music – Grand Funk
For Your Love – Yardbirds
Oye Como Va – Santana
Tequila Sunrise – Eagles
King Of Pain – The Police
Chain Of Fools – Joe Cocker
I’m Going Home – Ten Years After
Old Time Rock & Roll – Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
Beast of Burden – Rolling Stones
These Eyes – The Guess Who
Build Me Up Butter Cup – The Foundations
Some Guys Have All The Luck – Rod Stewart
Pieces Of April – Three Dog Night
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window – Joe Cocker

In case I do decide to bring my some of my favorite vinyl out to my patio (which would be easy to do the way I packaged and "One-Sided" some of my record collection) it would be in the form of:

1. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66: Herb Alpert Presents

2. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66: Equinox

(If those two AREN'T 'Back-Yard Patio/Bar-B-Q/Pool Party Albums', NOTHING Is!)

3. The Fifth Dimension: Love Lines Angles & Rhymes

4. The Fifth Dimension: Portrait

(Listen to tracks like "This Is Your Life", "A Love Like Ours", "Dimension 5ive" and "One Less Bell To Answer", from the latter and especially "Viva Tirado", as well as the title cut of the former, and you'll see why!)

5. Bobby Goldsboro: Honey--Best Of (Actually this is a 22-Track CD, but "If You Wait For Love", "I Don't Know You Anymore", "It Breaks My Heart" and "It Hurts Me" are songs NOT on the Tenth Anniversary Album "Foursider" of the original vinyl--and add "Glad She's A Woman" [also not there, but on the CD] to the list, too!)

6. The Sandpipers: Spanish Album (I dig the picture of them standing on a patio, that unfortunately I had to scrap because I couldn't fit it on my "Frankencover", which houses the five Original LP's they made, Misty Roses through Gift Of Song; or any one or all of the above would be good; have the first two [Sandpipers & Guantanamera] together on CD, and they would work, too!)

7. Tamba 4: We And The Sea

8. Tamba 4: Samba Blim

(A toss-up from my still favorite [And surviving] A&M/CTi act--and where's that THIRD release...?)

9. Quincy Jones: You've Got It Bad Girl (The title-track really swings! And the filler has that first-rate "party groove"; alternatives: Mellow Madness --if the party is during the day, or Smackwater Jack --for an "all-nighter"--and Body Heat --for 'a lil' o' both'...!)

10. Various Artists: Family Portrait (The cover and best song-selection says it all; or Million Dollar Sampler if you MUST have "Tijuana Taxi", as well, as Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66's "Daytripper", and other "early bits" from when the label was just developing; play Music Box in the breeze-way, [or under the awning] while sipping Country Time lemonade, the very next day...)

Some other "singles" would be:

1. Sergio Mendes -- "Never Gonna Let You Go" [his "comeback" and a very 'pool party' piece, from when I heard it, though in a PUBLIC pool]

2. Joe Cocker -- "Feelin' Alright"

3. The vocal version of Quincy Jones' "Theme from THE GETAWAY", not on the album...

4. ...As well as Evie Sands' "Maybe Tomorrow", from "Q's" rather execrable JOHN & MARY Soundtrack...

5. --And I like the way Andy Williams does "Pieces Of April", but that was never released on a '45'...

Dave

I don't know if I would come up with a "theme" per se, but I would just make some party CDs in a few volumes. I guess Volume 1 would include:

Stevie Ray Vaughn - If The House Is A Rockin'
Brian Setzer - Dirty Boogie
Doobie Brothers - Listen To The Music
Stevie Wonder - I Wish
Robert Plant - Big Log
Herb Alpert - Rise
Police - Message In A Bottle
Gipsy Kings - Galaxia/Vamos A Bailar
Us3 - Cantaloop
Lionel Richie - All Night Long

Unfortunately, it would be hard to fill a CD with just 10 tunes, but I'll play by the rules. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

The Good Captain B said:
In response to what Rudy outrageously said:
Village People: "Macho Man"
Rod Stewart: "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" (Bob Clearmountain remix)

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :whistle: :rotf:

Capt. Bacardi
...speechless, online... :D

Take deep breaths, Cap'n and recall that one image we have of Ol' Rudy in Kenny G mode with the Sop-Sax and it all makes sense. Breathe with me now (1 - 2 - 3 - 4). Again! (1 - 2 - 3 - 4) There. Now it's all better!

--Mr Bill

Mike Blakesley said:
My biggest problem with this concept is, the music I would want to hear probably wouldn't jibe with what my crowd wanted.

I'm a good one at picking styles that the crowd likes, but picking some obscurities they haven't heard in a long time. It's like the difference between a typical "classic rock" radio station vs. playing album cuts from lesser-known albums that people *have* heard before, but maybe not since high school, for example. Or playing 80s bands who had hits in their fifteen minutes of fame and faded away. (How many remember Scritti Politti's "Perfect Way"? More than who care to admit it!) Playing stuff like that brings back a lot of memories.

I decided not to put too much thought into this and jot down a top 10 off the top of my head based on stuff I've been listening to lately:

LEN - Steal My Sunshine and/or ANDREA TRUE - More, More, More
BOB SEGER - Ramblin' Gamblin' Man
HERB ALPERT - Rotation
CRAZY ELEPHANT - Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' (must be mono version)
ACE FREHLEY - New York Groove and/or KISS - I Was Made For Lovin' You
BECK - Girl
ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS - Tighten Up (must be mono version)
THE TIMELORDS - Doctorin' The Tardis
PIZZICATO 5 - My Baby Portable Player Sound
MICHAEL ZAGER - Let's All Chant
and as honorable mention, two tracks already named by others on this topic:
STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN - Say What!!
ROD STEWART - Da Ya Think I'm Sexy

This is a fun thread. Since 10 songs do not a party make, I'm gonna list another Top 10:

THE BEACH BOYS - The Beach Boys Medley
ELVIS PRESLEY - Let Yourself Go
THE KINKS - All Day And All Of The Night
LARRY ELGART - Hooked On Swing and/or FRANK BARBER - Hooked On Big Bands
PRINCE - Peach
SYLVESTER - Dance (Disco Heat)
THE HONEYDRIPPERS - Rockin' At Midnight
TONY CHRISTIE - Amarillo
MECO - Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band and/or The Empire Strikes Back
OHIO PLAYERS - Love Rollercoaster

Well, I'm supposed to be working...but all I can think about is my favorite party tunes!
So here's my final 20 before the holiday weekend:
ROY ORBISON - Mean Woman Blues
KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND - Queen Of Clubs
PETER BROWN - Dance With Me
BERT KAEMPFERT - Cha Cha Brasilia
HERB ALPERT/TJB - Zorba The Greek (single mix)
JOHN DENVER - Thank God I'm A Country Boy (live version)
THE BEATLES - Hey Bulldog
T. REX - 20th Century Boy
ELVIS COSTELLO - Pump It Up
PARTRIDGE FAMILY - Summer Days
QUEEN - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
LIPPS INC. - Funkytown
GARY NUMAN - Cars
BONEY M - Rivers Of Babylon
ROCKETS - Oh Well
RICKY MARTIN - Loaded
DAVID SANBORN - Bang Bang
LED ZEPPELIN - Boogie With Stu
2PAC - California Love
BEE GEES - Jive Talkin'
Hmm...better make that 22:
WILLIE BOBO - Spanish Grease
KENNY LOGGINS - I'm Alright

Now that's a party!! Happy Memorial Day!!

I can't stop!

JIMMY SMITH - Walk On The Wild Side
THE MARKETTS - Batman Theme
THE ART OF NOISE w/ DUANE EDDY - Peter Gunn (EDDY's solo version would suffice too)
MANHATTAN TRANSFER - Speak Up Mambo and/or Baby Come Back To Me
MARCOS VALLE - Crickets Sang For Anamaria
TONY CAMILLO'S BAZUKA - Dynomite
FALCO - Vienna Calling (album version)
HOUSE OF PAIN - Jump Around
KING CURTIS - Whole Lotta Love
CHASE - Get It On

Okay, so I'm the only one continuing to post on this thread and I'm probably starting to get annoying. But I got home today and a friend who's having a party on Sunday asked me to throw together some eclectic collections of tunes to play. So I'm gonna put on all the songs I've listed above, several suggestions from other posters lists and then I'm going to add the following:

THE MONKEES - Theme From "The Monkees"
MADNESS - One Step Beyond
WAYLON JENNINGS - Theme From "The Dukes Of Hazzard"
PHIL SEYMOUR - Precious To Me
SWEET - Ballroom Blitz
ABBA - Does Your Mother Know
TRINI LOPEZ - If I Had A Hammer
GIPSY KINGS - Djobi, Djoba
THE TRAMMPS - Disco Inferno
KON KAN - I Beg Your Pardon

Should be a good party!

Mr Bill said:
Take deep breaths, Cap'n and recall that one image we have of Ol' Rudy in Kenny G mode with the Sop-Sax and it all makes sense.

You kiddin'? I'm still in therapy for that one! :laugh:

Capt. Bacardi

daveK said:
I decided not to put too much thought into this and jot down a top 10 off the top of my head based on stuff I've been listening to lately:

You're a regular party animal! :D

Unfortunately I have few friends or relatives who are into other kinds of music I like--they'd recognize a few TJB songs, but beyond that, forget playing any early A&M, jazz, classical or Brazilian music unless I want to clear the room out in five seconds or less. :laugh:

One thing that does go over well at a party, surprisingly, is pop or jazz vocalists. Put on some good Sinatra or Nat King Cole, throw in a few solid instrumentals, a good selection of movie-related songs (Mancini, Hermann, etc.), even a quirky Esquivel cut or two, and it's a more laid-back but classy playlist. In these playlsts, you can always sneak in a Jobim track here or there, or some other little tidbit that sounds familiar to the ear. So, staying in that mode, in no particular order:

Nat King Cole: "This Is The End (Of A Beautiful Frienship)"
Sinatra: "How Insensitive"
Mancini: "Pink Panther Theme"
Esquivel: "Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2"
Diana Krall: "Let's Face The Music And Dance"
Cozy Cole: "Topsy"
Jobim: "Wave"
Love Unlimited Orchestra: "Love's Theme"
Jack Jones: "Wives and Lovers"
Dionne Warwick: "Here I Am"

Remember, Kenny G CD's make great coasters around the pool. Just glue four little rubber feet on the bottom and you're all set.

bob knack said:
Remember, Kenny G CD's make great coasters around the pool. Just glue four little rubber feet on the bottom and you're all set.

Clay pigeons. :agree:

Well! Obviously you music snobs haven’t heard the recently released Kenny-G duets CD. He does a nice job of “Alfie” with Burt Bacharach.

NoKennyg.gif

Harry
...one of the snobs, online...

For my barbecue/pool party soundtrack, I'd play the following:

Herb Alpert &the TJB: WARM
Herb Alpert: RISE
Herb Alpert &the TJB: SUMMERTIME
Herb Alpert: BLOW YOUR OWN HORN
Sergio Mendes: DANSE MODERNO
Sergio Mendes: MY FAVORITE THINGS
Sergio Mendes/B66: EQUINOX
Sergio Mendes/B66: GREATEST HITS
Baja Marimba Band: FOR ANIMALS ONLY
Baja Marimba Band: WATCH OUT!

Now all I need is the pool and the grill...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom