• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Rumer - new artist, with echoes of Karen Carpenter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping it's better than Boys Don't Cry. I just can't warm to "covers" albums...

I thought Boys Don't Cry was fantastic. I loved it as much as if not slightly more than Seasons of My Soul. However, I was only familiar with the original versions of a couple of the songs so it didn't really seem like a cover album to me. I may have felt differently had I known more of the originals.

And, yes Harry, I agree. "Reach Out" is a gorgeous song. I also heard an extended preview of the track "Dangerous" which is really great as well.

And, yes Harry, I agree. "Reach Out" is a gorgeous song. I also heard an extended preview of the track "Dangerous" which is really great as well.

Dangerous is 'record of the week' on BBCs Radio 2 this week, I just booked to see her in Manchester for the 'Album release show' next month, she doing one in London as well.

Patrick,
Thanks for that link, very interesting, indeed.
And, yes, indeed: Who says there is/were no hits/singles on Karen's solo album.
I'll let it go, my blood pressure tends to the high side when I think of those circumstances.

I don't know if it sounds that much like My Body Keeps Changing My Mind (bar the disco-style orchestration and Rumer's sometimes Karen-esque vocals), but it sounds pretty good anyway. I met Rumer a couple of years ago and she was absolutely charming and down to earth. Great singer too!

Gary, I understand. yes, Karen's album was contemporary and different. And in my opinion that is exactly what was needed at that time.

Cool quote from the above-mentioned article...

"She quickly won fans ranging from Elton John to Karen Carpenter's brother Richard, who wrote to offer his 'congratulations' for creating something 'actually musical, which has been in short supply in recent years.'"

That's awesome! I had no idea!

The good news is I got the Rumer INTO COLOUR [EP] in today's mail, and the three tracks, all from the album, are just wonderful. I'm really looking forward to the full album, so these will tide me over until next month.

The bad news is that with today's activities with "Dangerous", I pulled the trigger at Amazon.UK for the full album (which supposedly comes with a free EP!). So I guess I didn't need to order this one after all. In fact, I'd forgotten I'd ordered the EP until it arrived.

Oh well, it won't be my first duplicate disc.

Harry

The good news is I got the Rumer INTO COLOUR [EP] in today's mail, and the three tracks, all from the album, are just wonderful. I'm really looking forward to the full album, so these will tide me over until next month.

The bad news is that with today's activities with "Dangerous", I pulled the trigger at Amazon.UK for the full album (which supposedly comes with a free EP!). So I guess I didn't need to order this one after all. In fact, I'd forgotten I'd ordered the EP until it arrived.

Harry

Harry does the version of Dangerous on the EP have the beginning as in the official video I've posted above?

I have not followed this thread or really listened to her music, I knew of this thread but never took the time to hear her music. When the video link of Dangerous was posted I had to take a listen since it was compared to one of Karen's solo tracks. I can hear the similarity, this song Dangerous is actually pretty good, I like it. This may push me into seeking out some of her material.

Has Rumer ever responded about how her vocals remind people of Karen? I wonder what her reply has been to the correlation.

Harry does the version of Dangerous on the EP have the beginning as in the official video I've posted above?

No, it's the shorter version that starts with the uptempo beats. I'm hoping the album version has the extra, slow start-up.

Chris, as she was quoted earlier - and posted in this thread:
"I'm not trying to do a Karen Carpenter impersonation," says the singer, born Sarah Rumer Joyce. "But I do take instruction from her, and when I go into the lower register, the sound is similar."

Harry

I also like the longer intro (45 seconds) I'm surprised that was not included on the EP, doesn't EP stand for Extended Play :D
Maybe I missed her but the official video above for Dangerous does not included Rumer in the video, at first I thought she cut her hair short but that does not look like her.

Can't say "Dangerous" is all that great...I like the songwriting but the backing is so overproduced, she's buried in it. I prefer a stripped down presentation like some of the tracks on her first album. This is just a dull arrangement and production. Nothing in this draws me in. Rumer deserved a better treatment for this tune.

Harry

Glad to hear your EP arrived, Harry. Hopefully mine will be here in the next few days then. I got an e-mail earlier this week that it had shipped, but the delivery time from the UK varies from order to order so I always try not to get too anxious.

I don't think that offer for the free EP with the pre-order was there when I pre-ordered my copy, but it is now so I should end up with an extra as well. I will find someone to give it to and hopefully gain Rumer a new fan.

Hopefully, with this album she will release some CD singles with a few non-LP tracks.

What was the purpose of the EP, I didn't see any tracks on the EP that were not already on the CD to be released in Nov, was it just to allow listeners to preview the music early? Amazon says the EP is exclusive, I thought maybe there might be an unreleased track, longer version or b side not on the official CD.

I think it's just to let fans hear three songs early. Had I known they were going to offer if free with the album purchase, I wouldn't have ordered one, but I was anxious to get something early.

It's possible that the album version of "Dangerous" will be the longer one like in the video - and the one on the EP is the edited single version for radio.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom