• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Rumer - new artist, with echoes of Karen Carpenter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the vinyl would be cool, since she has had vinyl releases before, are they pressing it with good vinyl? I have heard the latest vinyl from Abba, Live at Wembley is really bad vinyl and some people I heard are sending the LP back because of the hi-hat.

I actually hear some similarity between Rumer's Sam and Olivia's Sam, obviously different songs and singers but song wise some of the emotion from the lyrics are similar. It must be why I like it. I didn't know this was written by Stephen Bishop. I like the part in the song where she goes down really low in her vocals, it only lasts for a moment but it reminded me of how Karen would go down like that on certain words. It happens at about 30-32 seconds into the song and again at about 1:26-1:27 seconds. Nice!

Last edited:
I have preordered the vinyl from Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NLJK8VI

For price, remember to divide the listed price by 1.2 to get the end price with VAT removed.

Amazon UK price for the LP is a lot cheaper than the US that's for sure. I noticed that the track listing for the LP is in a different order than the CD version, that's interesting because I always thought that songs were put together in a certain order and the CD would be the same as an LP. I guess in this case it doesn't take away from the flow of the LP to place them in a different order.

I seem to like 2 of the tracks from the CD so far, if I end up liking a few more I may opt for the Japan CD with the 2 extra bonus tracks, I wonder if Sailing is the Christopher Cross version, that could be cool.

@Chris-An Ordinary Fool , Seasons Of My Soul had pretty good vinyl. There is some noise on side 2, but that likely wasn't there when I bought it, so it needs a trip through the record vacuum. Flat, and otherwise plays quietly. That album has a strange sonic characteristic but that's on the CD as well as the vinyl.

The hi-hat could be a cutting (mastering) issue, or manufacturing. Not sure as I haven't read anything about it, but I suspect it is an issue with mistracking. The lacquer (or metal) master could have been cut with too high of a level on the high frequencies, which would make it impossible for most systems to track.

Somewhat related anecdote. I am breaking in a new cartridge to ultimately replace the Shure V15VMR I had, which no longer has stylus replacements available. The V15 used to track anything I threw at it (including some 12" singles cut quite "hot"), except for two things: 1) records that were previously worn or damaged by a cheap/worn/old stylus, and 2) this remastered/remixed* Nat King Cole LP, Just One Of Those Things (180g pressing on the now-defunct S&P Records label), which always had mistracking on some of his vocals (the "s" sounds would get distorted--this is referred to as "sibilance").

There might have been an issue with the V15, as the last stylus replacement I received, direct from them, was made after production had shifted to Mexico. And something always looked very slightly "off" about it. This new cartridge played right through most of it without a hiccup. Between these two I had another cartridge, but despite it costing quite a bit and being highly regarded by the audio press, it tracked no better than the $55 Grado F3E+ I bought back around 1980 or so.

(* Interesting note about this album: the original Capitol stereo release, and even the CD reissue, had a glaring error--the left and right channels were out of phase! It was also buried under heavy reverb, which was something Capitol often did with their early stereo releases, back when both mono and stereo copies were released. Steve Hoffman remixed it from the original tapes at Capitol Studios (3-channel, I think?), and added in only enough reverb to take the "dryness" away. Nat's voice has this presence that puts him right in the room. Great way to hear his vocal talents!)

Amazon UK price for the LP is a lot cheaper than the US that's for sure. I noticed that the track listing for the LP is in a different order than the CD version, that's interesting because I always thought that songs were put together in a certain order and the CD would be the same as an LP. I guess in this case it doesn't take away from the flow of the LP to place them in a different order.

I seem to like 2 of the tracks from the CD so far, if I end up liking a few more I may opt for the Japan CD with the 2 extra bonus tracks, I wonder if Sailing is the Christopher Cross version, that could be cool.

Even with shipping, I've found Amazon UK's pricing to often beat what I can get the same item for in the US, shipped, especially on UK or EU-released product.

"Sailing" is indeed the Christopher Cross. From what I saw, the LP and CD have the same tracks, but didn't check the order of them--the UK site lists the vinyl tracks now. The bonus stuff will likely remain digital-only. I did get her 2nd album Boys Don't Cry from HDTracks though, so I have a good digital version for the media server.

Seasons Of My Soul had a different order on the LP, and omitted a track or two from the standard CD. That is one reason I'd like to see another LP released that catches us up on the bonus tracks. It would make for good listening--her non-album tracks aren't floor scraps like so many other artists these days!

It looks like 21 hours ago Rumer posted a link to the entire song, Sam on her facebook page. I like this one!!!

https://www.facebook.com/rumerofficial

soundcloud.com/rumer-rarities/sam-from-rumer-into-colour-released-10th-nov

I was just re-reading this and I may have this wrong but are you clear that you can get this song "Sam" free on Rumers web site at www.Rumer.co.uk , You don't have to listen to it on sound cloud, you can also use this link to download it

http://po.st/DownloadSam

I tried from the site, but they want your information and will email the download code. I used an email address I associate with "throwaway" accounts, and nothing ever arrived after I signed up.

It's only a couple of weeks until the vinyl arrives. I'll be the one peeking out the side door, waiting for the UPS truck to arrive. :D

I'll check out Jools. Later. :laugh:

I subscribed to Rumer's site ages ago and get all of these announcements too. In fact, I get them twice as I must have signed up with my regular email account and my gmail account.

Harry

I can't recall getting many. I've had more messages from her YouTube channel in fact.

Well, I did what I didn't think I would do and I may be doing this backwards but I ordered "Into Colour" CD from Japan with 2 bonus tracks, Hasbrook Heights and Sailing. I figured that I already like 2 tracks a lot (Dangerous & Sam) and I'm hoping that 1st track is the cool intro part from the video and I really like the song Sailing so I probably will like her version. I think I got a pretty good deal since I had been hoarding up redeem points at CD Japan of almost 1500 yen so that covered my shipping and then more off on the CD, so my total including the shipping EMS was only $17.50, that comes out to be about 13 tracks at about $1.34 each, heck I'd pay that much on iTunes per song and iTunes US won't have these bonus tracks. So I'm excited to get my first Rumer CD in just a few weeks.

I think you'd also really like her debut album Seasons Of My Soul. Very personal lyrics, especially songs like "Thankful" and "Aretha" that are somewhat autobiographical. "Slow" floored me the first time I heard it...

I took some time to listen online to her 1st and 2nd album (30 sec to 1 min samples) and I can already tell I like her album, "Boys Don't Cry" much better than Seasons of My Soul. I like many more of the tracks on "Boys Don't Cry" that I am considering getting that one next....that led me into realizing (just like The Corrs) that she is including different track listings for different countries. For instance in the US you get Welcome Back but the Japan release that song is replaced with Andre Johray and not only that Japan is getting 5 more songs. I like Welcome Back (didn't think I would and yes I remember watching that show, her version is smooth) but from the sample I heard of Andre Johray I like that one even better. I also really like the 2 Art Garfunkel tracks.

All of this led me to look at some of her singles (to see if there were any unreleased tracks) and sure enough the Slow EP single apparently contains 3 tracks but the 3rd one caught my eye, The Moon's a Harsh Mistress. I could only see it on Amazon UK so maybe that is a UK exclusive, they had a short sample and I was really blown away, I gotta get that EP. I can only imagine what Karen Carpenter would have sounded like if she had recorded The Moon's a Harsh Mistress. This will be as close as I will hear and from the sample, it's pretty darn close.

I know that is all old stuff to everyone but I'm in discovery mode.

To be honest, I only like "Sara Smile" from Boys Don't Cry and this is largely due to being a fan of Daryl Hall's songwriting (along with his co-writing partners on many of his songs).

But it's hard to sample bits and pieces of Seasons since so many songs are like short stories (many being personal)--I have to listen a few times to get through the story. It's like reading half a chapter out of a novel, in other words. Those songs grew on me more due to being more personal to her, and heartfelt--Boys is more like reading someone else's story that you've read a few times already. YMMV of course.

Don't bother with the La Honda album--it's nice but rather average. More of a curiosity for fans than anything else.

I ordered her single "Slow" in the hopes that it would be the 2 track single including the song, "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress" I am happy to report that it does contain both tracks. I was a little afraid because I saw just the single with only 1 song and then I read some comments that people had ordered the 2 track single and they only got the 1 track single. So glad I got the right one. I really like her version of "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress". This is my first CD by Rumer.

Yep. The two-track version of "Slow" that I have is a German/Central Europe edition. (5052498-2574-5-4). The cover image and catalog numbers are what make it confusing. I also have the one-track version of "Slow" with the same exact cover image, and the very similar catalog number: 5052498-24574-2-3).

Harry

Yes, I have the UK Single edition (first # ^)....I knew when I heard the 30 sec sample online from Amazon UK that I was going to like it...I then tried to buy it but I didn't know US can't buy mp3's from UK so then my hunt was on for the single CD. I love how this song starts with just piano and vocals and then the orchestra comes in and it closes out so beautifully, gives me chills. I always seem to gravitate to artists b sides or non album tracks.

Yes, I have the UK Single edition (first # ^)....I knew when I heard the 30 sec sample online from Amazon UK that I was going to like it...I then tried to buy it but I didn't know US can't buy mp3's from UK so then my hunt was on for the single CD. I love how this song starts with just piano and vocals and then the orchestra comes in and it closes out so beautifully, gives me chills. I always seem to gravitate to artists b sides or non album tracks.

Chris just wait until you hear 'Butterfly' from the new album if you like piano and vocals, it's beautiful, the subject matter is very emotional for her, it's about a miscarriage.
It put me in mind of Karen's solo version of 'make believe it's you first time' , although different subject.

Have you guys seen this Rumer's take on Arthurs Theme (the best that you can do) its on the BBC CD music of the 80s

My CD copy of Into Colour was dispatched November 8. Let's see how quickly the Royal Mail and USPS can get it here. All of the teasers make for good anticipation.

My CD copy of Into Colour was dispatched November 8. Let's see how quickly the Royal Mail and USPS can get it here. All of the teasers make for good anticipation.
Hey mang! :wave: How's Atlanta treatin' ya?

No vinyl? :D I have the vinyl on order but it may not have shipped yet, as I didn't get word from Amazon UK. I'll report back here after I give it a spin. Should sound nice with the new cart.

My copy of Into Colour arrived today - have just finished listening to it. It's stunning - even better than Seasons of My Soul. 'Play Your Guitar' is probably the early favourite, but 'Butterfly' is absolutely heartbreaking. Anyone who accuses Rumer of sounding like Muzak should have a good listen to that track - it's so soft and yet so emotionally powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom