• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Rumer - new artist, with echoes of Karen Carpenter*

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, this record company for Rumer is Atlantic - the same organization that did all of those split releases for The Corrs back in the day. They'd put out an album over there and we fans would have to hunt high and low for ways to get them here. Ordering from Amazon in the UK wasn't always as easy as it is now, and ordering from sites with foreign languages without translations was a challenge too.

So, what I'm saying is that Atlantic seems to like the staggered approach to releasing albums on the world stage. I believe it's an attempt to get the artist to appear in support of the album in each major territory around the time of local release. But in these days of the whole world at our fingertips on the Internet, I feel it's a strategy that ultimately doesn't really work. Most of Rumer's fans in the US will know of the album's release in the UK and order it from overseas. Then when it's released here in the States, many won't re-buy it, so sales numbers suffer.

Harry

The arrangement seems to me an authentic re-creation of circa-1980 disco. Probably very much what a "Karen Goes Disco" LP might have sounded like. Maybe too heavily orchestrated and not boom-heavy enough for modern pop radio, but no reason why it wouldn't be welcome in an easier-listening format!

I think it's just to let fans hear three songs early. Had I known they were going to offer if free with the album purchase, I wouldn't have ordered one, but I was anxious to get something early.

It's possible that the album version of "Dangerous" will be the longer one like in the video - and the one on the EP is the edited single version for radio.

Harry

There's a theory on her Facebook fan site that the extended bit of 'Dangerous' might be from track 1 on the album 'Intro (return of Blackbird), and that it kind of sets the theme for the album like 'yesterday once more' did for Carpenters 'Now and Then' album.
I guess we have to wait to find out.

The arrangement seems to me an authentic re-creation of circa-1980 disco. Probably very much what a "Karen Goes Disco" LP might have sounded like. Maybe too heavily orchestrated and not boom-heavy enough for modern pop radio, but no reason why it wouldn't be welcome in an easier-listening format!

Time to re-release KAREN CARPENTER?

Harry

Good info. There are a lot of "bonus" and "extra" Rumer tracks floating around in one form or another. Japanese bonus tracks might end up on a UK CD single or EP; she often invites subscribers to her website to download exclusive tracks; etc.

I remember her first album came out. I bought the single "Slow" because it was so refreshing, sounded a little like Karen, and the album was still weeks away. Then the UK album came out with 11 tracks. Then the Japanese version of SEASONS OF MY SOUL came out with three added tracks, "Alfie", "It Might Be You", and "Come Saturday Morning". But this was also at a time when a UK single for "Aretha" was released, with two extra tracks, "The Warmth Of The Sun" and "Come Saturday Morning". This was followed up by a special BURT BACHARACH AT CHRISTMAS single with a new song, "Some Lovers" and "Alfie". IIRC, Rumer then offered "It Might Be You", as a free download on her website. So even though I didn't buy the Japanese version, I ended up with the same extra tracks. One was only an MP3, but I'll live with it.

Three other tracks are in my Rumer section on my computer, "Long Long Day", "Vertigo" and "Love And Affection". I'm not sure if they were from the BOYS DON'T CRY era or earlier.

Bottom line is it's very possible that the extra tracks might show up elsewhere - heck they might even be on the LPs which have different tracks!

Harry

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Rumer herself seems to have an "activist" nature toward her fans. Who else has ever released a CD and LP of the same album with different track lists and different cover art? She does that because she loves the vinyl format and thinks those fans deserve something special. So when it comes to bonus tracks, I can't say one way or the other whether the "exclusive" Japanese bonus tracks will surface elsewhere - only that they *might*, given her history.

Harry

Oh I see what your saying, that is pretty cool that she is involved like that and even nicer that an LP is being released for those fans like enjoy that format, not too many artists doing that nowadays. It's nice too that she has a different cover picture for certain releases. I have not bought any of her music so I'm not really sure where to start, I started listening to a few tracks on iTunes. I really like the Dangerous track but can't bring myself to purchase the whole album yet especially not knowing what the other tracks will be like.

It was crazy when The Corrs were together because every time you turned around there was another bonus track some where else to buy and I didn't think The Corrs themselves had anything to do with that but more the label trying to make more money off the fans.

Guys just wait until you hear 'Baby come back to bed', oh my God!

She performed it on Jools Hollands show on friday with full orchestra, talk about sizzling GOOSEBUMPS, you're in for a treat.

I think this whole album is goner blow you away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Rumer herself seems to have an "activist" nature toward her fans. Who else has ever released a CD and LP of the same album with different track lists and different cover art? She does that because she loves the vinyl format and thinks those fans deserve something special. So when it comes to bonus tracks, I can't say one way or the other whether the "exclusive" Japanese bonus tracks will surface elsewhere - only that they *might*, given her history.

Harry

Her LPs indeed are packaged quite nicely. Seasons is in a nice gatefold, and even the innersleeve is custom. (I think I posted photos earlier here.) Can't say I played the follow-up to even remember how it was packaged. :laugh: Although I'm miffed that the UK version excluded "Sara Smile", which is available on the US LP. La Honda also came out on vinyl but was the same art as the CD.

I can't recall if I preordered the new one on vinyl yet--I try to order from the UK but seeing that they excluded the only track from Boys Don't Cry that I like, I'm hesistant to order something which might be missing a good track or two. I still don't get why the US has to be behind the curve on releases of her albums...typical major label treatment IMHO. They did that with the Matt Bianco Matt's Mood album, and I had the SACD in my hands maybe nine months before Univer$al in the US decided to let us have it here. (And even so, with totally dumbed-down cover art...the EU original was quite classy IMHO.)

CD Japan apparently has a 2 bonus tracks they are issuing on "Into Colour", HASBROOK HEIGHTS and SAILING

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-16125

This sounds very much like The Corrs where bonus stuff appears in Japan.

"Hasbrook Heights" is a nice under-appreciated Bacharach tune...but I wonder if "Sailing" is the Christopher Cross hit. She'd do a nice cover of that one. :agree:

I may have to order it from Japan. I also need to order a new Roger Nichols & Small Circle Of Friends CD since I think I mistakenly sold both of mine. :laugh: I'll get the two-disc version if I go that route.

"Hasbrook Heights" is a nice under-appreciated Bacharach tune...but I wonder if "Sailing" is the Christopher Cross hit. She'd do a nice cover of that one. :agree:

I may have to order it from Japan. I also need to order a new Roger Nichols & Small Circle Of Friends CD since I think I mistakenly sold both of mine. :laugh: I'll get the two-disc version if I go that route.

Yes "sailing" is the Christopher Cross song, she did "Hasbrook Heights" in a duet with Dionne Warwick at the Royal Albert Hall World Hunger day event, there's some footage on YouTube.

Three other tracks are in my Rumer section on my computer, "Long Long Day", "Vertigo" and "Love And Affection". I'm not sure if they were from the BOYS DON'T CRY era or earlier.

Those three songs were all Seasons Of My Soul era. I believe that most or all of them were iTunes bonus tracks on the US (digital) release of the album, but I could be mistaken on that part.

Another non-LP track, "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress" was exclusive to the "Slow" CD single. There was also a one-off single called "I Believe In You" from the Johnny English soundtrack that came out prior to Boys Don't Cry.

Hopefully the bonus tracks and "b-sides" will continue. While they can sometimes be a bit of a pain (and expense) to track down, that's actually part of the fun and challenge of collecting for me.

For me, I don't care for that song, "You Just Don't Know People".....I just listened and one time is enough for me on that one....her vocals are great....maybe it's the lyrics, yeah there are all kinds of people like that but I don't want to keep singing about those people in a song at least for me and repeating it is not my idea of a connection from artist to listener. She needs a power hit, she has the vocals for a power love song about emotions between 2 people....like Superstar or Rainy Days & Mondays. No...not these exact songs but in that vain. I think she needs a John Bettis song. :wink:

Those three songs were all Seasons Of My Soul era. I believe that most or all of them were iTunes bonus tracks on the US (digital) release of the album, but I could be mistaken on that part.

Another non-LP track, "The Moon's A Harsh Mistress" was exclusive to the "Slow" CD single. There was also a one-off single called "I Believe In You" from the Johnny English soundtrack that came out prior to Boys Don't Cry.

Hopefully the bonus tracks and "b-sides" will continue. While they can sometimes be a bit of a pain (and expense) to track down, that's actually part of the fun and challenge of collecting for me.

Same here. I like tracking down b-sides. I like being a "completist" in the sense that I like to get all of the songs by a favorite artist. Although that sometimes includes those "stupid" purchases where you need to buy something you already own for a bonus track, or get a compilation with an unreleased track.

"I Wanna Roo You" b/w "We Will" was another CD single release (some call it an EP).

I need to get together a list of all the non-album tracks...maybe we can whip one together here.

Bottom line is it's very possible that the extra tracks might show up elsewhere - heck they might even be on the LPs which have different tracks!

If anything, the LPs are short on tracks. There are enough extra tracks to put together a whole entire LP now. I'd buy it if the label would release it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom